‘They do not mess around!’ Minor passport detail causes this Aussie traveller to be deported from Bali – Don’t let it happen to you!

If you've ever been lucky enough to go on a holiday abroad, you'll know that the paperwork can sometimes be stressful— but a necessary evil—to ensure your journey goes without a hitch.

And for most of us, providing the necessary documents, such as a passport and visa, usually involves providing a valid, up-to-date, and undamaged document to immigration services, no more than usual.

But for one particular Aussie traveller, that same document became the undoing of his whole holiday, as one tiny detail caused him to be denied entry into his chosen destination, Bali.

Matt Vandenberg, a 29-year-old Australian, left Sydney for Bali, Indonesia, on a 6 am Jetstar flight. His plan was to celebrate his friend's wedding on Friday.

But as soon as he reached Indonesian customs, he was denied entry into the country.

bali1.jpg
The traveller said he was denied entry at Indonesian customs. Credit: Guillaume Meurice/Pexels

‘So, I arrived at DPS, paid my visa, presented my passport, got brought over to the immigration office, and then an officer alerted me I have a 1cm tear on my passport page—to be fair, he's correct,’ was what Vandenberg shared online about his surprise discovery.

This unexpected passport detail was unacceptable to Indonesian customs, and authorities told him he would not be allowed in the country.

His passport was then confiscated until his flight back home.

‘I'm not disputing the tear, but it wasn't even noticeable unless you bend it back, and Immigration officers in Sydney were fine when they scanned it,’ Vandenberg said.

bali2.jpg
Vanderberg said his passport was confiscated by Indonesian authorities until his flight back home to Sydney. Credit: Nataliya Vaitkevich/Pexels

Adding to the chaotic situation, Vandenberg revealed that he was accompanied by two armed police guards during his 11-hour wait for a flight back to Australia.

But he had only kind words for the officers, stating: ‘To be fair, they are the nicest people you could have stuck by my side. They feel very, very, very sorry for me—rules are rules,’ he tweeted.

‘So, I’m flying home tonight, and I have an emergency meeting tomorrow about my passport tomorrow morning, so hopefully I can get a new one and get back over. I’ll be in a state when I take off, but at the moment, all I can do is laugh,’ he added.

Upon returning to Sydney, Vandenberg applied for an emergency passport, hoping to get back to Bali in time for his friend's wedding. All’s well that ends well, right?

Many who heard about his story praised the Aussie for his patience and positive attitude.

‘At least they were nice, and you were nice to them,’ one person wrote.

‘That sucks. Hope it all works out,’ another replied.

While someone else responded with: ‘I must say you seem to have handled it a heck of a lot better than most other people would.’

As for Vandenberg's response? A friendly goodwill gesture to others who believe they may find themselves in a similar situation.

‘My experience is probably a good warning for people travelling to Indonesia. They do not mess around!’ he said.

Vandenberg's situation is a reminder that it is crucial for travellers to double-check their passports for any damage or inconsistencies. Passport-related issues may have severe consequences, especially in countries with strict entry requirements.

Our takeaway? Always examine your passport thoroughly before embarking on international travel. You should be mindful as some airlines may have less flexibility when planning and booking trips, and circumstances like this can see you spending hundreds of dollars just to fix the problem.

Keep in mind that some countries also require passports to have at least six months of validity remaining before granting entry.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian traveller was denied entry to Bali due to a tiny tear in his passport.
  • Matt Vandenberg intended to attend a friend's wedding in Bali but was halted by Indonesian customs.
  • Vandenberg was accompanied by two armed police guards during his 11-hour wait for a flight home.
  • He returned to Sydney and applied for an emergency passport, hoping to make it back to Bali in time for the wedding.
Members, have you encountered a similar situation before? What happened? Share your thoughts about this story in the comments below!

Sponsored
My passport got a little water damage from being out with the postie in a freak downpour when it was returned after applying for a visa. Thankfully the lady at the post office when I went to pick it up got me to open it there in case of water damage and told me I’d have to get a new one because it wouldn’t be accepted with a watermark! She saved the day because I would’ve let it dry and just fronted up at the airport and probably been told it was no good.
Lesson learned…..always enclose in a waterproof bag if sending off again!!😂

I applaud Matts patience !! I would have been very angry knowing me, but not to the point of being abusive to the Balinese as they are lovely calm people. Just been November last year, had great 15 days rest, adore the place.

I'm not a traveller and don't even have a passport. I'm happy to toddle around Oz.
If I was in that position I would have cried like a baby because I am a big sookie lah lah when under extreme stress. Guards taking me back on the plane fit the stress factor.
Matt handled it quite well. Just as well it wasn't his wedding.

If you've ever been lucky enough to go on a holiday abroad, you'll know that the paperwork can sometimes be stressful— but a necessary evil—to ensure your journey goes without a hitch.

And for most of us, providing the necessary documents, such as a passport and visa, usually involves providing a valid, up-to-date, and undamaged document to immigration services, no more than usual.

But for one particular Aussie traveller, that same document became the undoing of his whole holiday, as one tiny detail caused him to be denied entry into his chosen destination, Bali.

Matt Vandenberg, a 29-year-old Australian, left Sydney for Bali, Indonesia, on a 6 am Jetstar flight. His plan was to celebrate his friend's wedding on Friday.

But as soon as he reached Indonesian customs, he was denied entry into the country.

View attachment 21927
The traveller said he was denied entry at Indonesian customs. Credit: Guillaume Meurice/Pexels

‘So, I arrived at DPS, paid my visa, presented my passport, got brought over to the immigration office, and then an officer alerted me I have a 1cm tear on my passport page—to be fair, he's correct,’ was what Vandenberg shared online about his surprise discovery.

This unexpected passport detail was unacceptable to Indonesian customs, and authorities told him he would not be allowed in the country.

His passport was then confiscated until his flight back home.

‘I'm not disputing the tear, but it wasn't even noticeable unless you bend it back, and Immigration officers in Sydney were fine when they scanned it,’ Vandenberg said.

View attachment 21928
Vanderberg said his passport was confiscated by Indonesian authorities until his flight back home to Sydney. Credit: Nataliya Vaitkevich/Pexels

Adding to the chaotic situation, Vandenberg revealed that he was accompanied by two armed police guards during his 11-hour wait for a flight back to Australia.

But he had only kind words for the officers, stating: ‘To be fair, they are the nicest people you could have stuck by my side. They feel very, very, very sorry for me—rules are rules,’ he tweeted.

‘So, I’m flying home tonight, and I have an emergency meeting tomorrow about my passport tomorrow morning, so hopefully I can get a new one and get back over. I’ll be in a state when I take off, but at the moment, all I can do is laugh,’ he added.

Upon returning to Sydney, Vandenberg applied for an emergency passport, hoping to get back to Bali in time for his friend's wedding. All’s well that ends well, right?

Many who heard about his story praised the Aussie for his patience and positive attitude.

‘At least they were nice, and you were nice to them,’ one person wrote.

‘That sucks. Hope it all works out,’ another replied.

While someone else responded with: ‘I must say you seem to have handled it a heck of a lot better than most other people would.’

As for Vandenberg's response? A friendly goodwill gesture to others who believe they may find themselves in a similar situation.

‘My experience is probably a good warning for people travelling to Indonesia. They do not mess around!’ he said.

Vandenberg's situation is a reminder that it is crucial for travellers to double-check their passports for any damage or inconsistencies. Passport-related issues may have severe consequences, especially in countries with strict entry requirements.

Our takeaway? Always examine your passport thoroughly before embarking on international travel. You should be mindful as some airlines may have less flexibility when planning and booking trips, and circumstances like this can see you spending hundreds of dollars just to fix the problem.

Keep in mind that some countries also require passports to have at least six months of validity remaining before granting entry.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian traveller was denied entry to Bali due to a tiny tear in his passport.
  • Matt Vandenberg intended to attend a friend's wedding in Bali but was halted by Indonesian customs.
  • Vandenberg was accompanied by two armed police guards during his 11-hour wait for a flight home.
  • He returned to Sydney and applied for an emergency passport, hoping to make it back to Bali in time for the wedding.
Members, have you encountered a similar situation before? What happened? Share your thoughts about this story in the comments below!
I don't know why we have passports, they never get stamped.

A visa with the same information should suffice.