‘The joy drained from my life’: Veteran journalist Liz Hayes still being stalked today

The media industry is one that often draws the attention of the public. While no one enjoys not having privacy and personal space, unfortunately, it’s something that journalists and celebrities alike have to deal with daily.

For this former Today show host and veteran journalist, her situation years ago took a toll on her career and private life—and it’s still happening today.

Veteran TV Journalist Liz Hayes appeared in an interview with fellow reporter Tara Brown to discuss her latest project, her memoir I’m Liz Hayes.

During the conversation, Liz revealed an unsettling secret—she is still being stalked by a man who first contacted her when she was a host on Today between 1986 to 1996.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 10.41.58 AM.png
Liz Hayes revealed that she is still being stalked by a man today, robbing her sense of safety. Credit: @lizhayesofficial / Instagram

Her experience was one of the reasons she joined 60 Minutes as a correspondent in 1996.

Tara asked Liz, ‘Let’s talk about that for a second. How long did he stalk you for?’

Liz answered, ‘Still.’

'What they do is rob you of your sense of safety,' she shared.

‘That’s how it is, and that robe of life that I hate having taken.’

She wanted to move away from a daily breakfast show to a weekly program to ‘stop being so visible’.

'By now, I have someone who’s pursuing me,’ she said while talking about her decision.

‘This will sound wrong, but I did decide that it was time for me to stop being on television everyday,’ she added.

Liz also wrote about this experience in her memoir.

Unfortunately, the impact of the intrusion on her life was very real and long-lasting.

Liz said security guards had to accompany her to events and her residence, and she even got a phone call from a private detective who had been hired by the stalker to track her down. The stalker also once visited her parents.

‘The joy drained from my life, and it would take years before I regained the confidence to move about safely,’ Liz wrote in her memoir.

‘I try not to think about it anymore so I can get on with my life, but in truth, it’s still not the same.’

This comes after Liz experienced a shocking encounter during an interview with comedian Russell Brand in 2012. Clips from the interview resurfaced as Brand was accused of sexual, physical, and verbal abuse by four different women. Read more about the story here.

Liz joined Channel 9 in 1981 as a reporter. She also hosted Channel 9’s current affairs program, Under Investigation.

Key Takeaways
  • Veteran TV Journalist Liz Hayes revealed she is 'still' being stalked by a man who has been pursuing her since her time on the Today show.
  • Her experience with the stalker influenced her decision to leave the Today show and join 60 Minutes as a correspondent in 1996.
  • Liz said the stalker has robbed her of her sense of safety, and this has impacted her decision to reduce her visibility on TV.
  • The stalking experience, which resulted in security guards being deployed to her residence and outside broadcasts, is chronicled in her memoir, I’m Liz Hayes.

If you or someone you know feels unsafe or is experiencing stalking, contact your local police immediately or 1800RESPECT.

Members, what do you think of Liz Hayes’s story? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
The media industry is one that often draws the attention of the public. While no one enjoys not having privacy and personal space, unfortunately, it’s something that journalists and celebrities alike have to deal with daily.

For this former Today show host and veteran journalist, her situation years ago took a toll on her career and private life—and it’s still happening today.

Veteran TV Journalist Liz Hayes appeared in an interview with fellow reporter Tara Brown to discuss her latest project, her memoir I’m Liz Hayes.

During the conversation, Liz revealed an unsettling secret—she is still being stalked by a man who first contacted her when she was a host on Today between 1986 to 1996.

View attachment 34482
Liz Hayes revealed that she is still being stalked by a man today, robbing her sense of safety. Credit: @lizhayesofficial / Instagram

Her experience was one of the reasons she joined 60 Minutes as a correspondent in 1996.

Tara asked Liz, ‘Let’s talk about that for a second. How long did he stalk you for?’

Liz answered, ‘Still.’

She wanted to move away from a daily breakfast show to a weekly program to ‘stop being so visible’.

'By now, I have someone who’s pursuing me,’ she said while talking about her decision.

‘This will sound wrong, but I did decide that it was time for me to stop being on television everyday,’ she added.

Unfortunately, the impact of the intrusion on her life was very real and long-lasting.

Liz said security guards had to accompany her to events and her residence, and she even got a phone call from a private detective who had been hired by the stalker to track her down. The stalker also once visited her parents.

‘The joy drained from my life, and it would take years before I regained the confidence to move about safely,’ Liz wrote in her memoir.

‘I try not to think about it anymore so I can get on with my life, but in truth, it’s still not the same.’

This comes after Liz experienced a shocking encounter during an interview with comedian Russell Brand in 2012. Clips from the interview resurfaced as Brand was accused of sexual, physical, and verbal abuse by four different women. Read more about the story here.

Liz joined Channel 9 in 1981 as a reporter. She also hosted Channel 9’s current affairs program, Under Investigation.

Key Takeaways

• Veteran TV Journalist Liz Hayes revealed she is 'still' being stalked by a man who has been pursuing her since her time on the Today show.
  • Her experience with the stalker influenced her decision to leave the Today show and join 60 Minutes as a correspondent in 1996.
  • Liz said the stalker has robbed her of her sense of safety, and this has impacted her decision to reduce her visibility on TV.
  • The stalking experience, which resulted in security guards being deployed to her residence and outside broadcasts, is chronicled in her memoir, I’m Liz Hayes.

If you or someone you know feels unsafe or is experiencing stalking, contact your local police immediately or 1800RESPECT.

Members, what do you think of Liz Hayes’s story? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
What's the police doing about it or the courts nothing until someone is killed I bet 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: Gsr and IJH
I've always liked her. I remember reading about her father when he died. Lack of duty/care in that country NSW hospital. Pathetic care for an aged person.
I think her Memoir would be an interesting read. She's certainly come a long way from a girl from Taree.

Reactions: Gsr and midgemills

View attachment 34482

Liz answered, ‘Still.’

Key Takeaways

I would have thought she would have nuance to fix that. Not a read I will do.

Police can't really do anything this is what they told my sister 20 odd years ago they just told her to disappear luckily he never tracked her down

• Wow
Reactions: Gsr and Jersey Girl
I've always liked her. I remember reading about her father when he died. Lack of duty/care in that country NSW hospital. Pathetic care for an aged person.
I think her Memoir would be an interesting read. She's certainly come a long way from a girl from Taree.
I'm from Forster and I used to follow her when she worked at the Manning River Times newspaper. She was known as Beth Hayes and her talent was obvious even then.

Reactions: Gsr and Penny4
Crazy replies - even giving more information to who ever is stalking her - so helpful NOT