A

Ally Castillo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 14, 2022
‘The Bump’, ‘76

compressed-dance.jpeg
Image Credit: Facebook/AUSTRALIAN HISTORY

Today’s blast from the past was taken in 1976 at a disco in Sydney. These ladies seem to be having a lovely time dancing! Surely, parties back then were completely different from the ones being held nowadays. For one, doing ‘the bump’ was all the rage! Were you fond of dancing back then, too? What would you say was your ‘signature’ move? Tell us here! If you have nostalgic images or memories, too, feel free to share them with us here!

Loved The Bump but, Are You Ready Do The Bus Stop was my signature move. I was 16 and every Friday and Saturday night it was Dancing all night well at least until 3am at The Persian Room Kings Cross Sydney or The Crystal Palace .

Omg I could never imagine doing that now 😳

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Don't forget the Nutbush or Zorba's dance. Not to mention the YMCA. In fact the quickest way to fill a dance floor, even these days, is to play a few bars from any of those 3 iconic songs. Ah the memories 🎇

• Wow
‘The Bump’, ‘76

View attachment 30561
Image Credit: Facebook/AUSTRALIAN HISTORY

Today’s blast from the past was taken in 1976 at a disco in Sydney. These ladies seem to be having a lovely time dancing! Surely, parties back then were completely different from the ones being held nowadays. For one, doing ‘the bump’ was all the rage! Were you fond of dancing back then, too? What would you say was your ‘signature’ move? Tell us here! If you have nostalgic images or memories, too, feel free to share them with us here!
I loved the bump with my mates, but I also loved the spin/pirouette.

• Wow
While I remember these dances, being from the country and attending country dances in country halls most of the dances were the pride of Erin, different waltzes, and the one most of us young ladies loved, the progressive barn dance where we got to check out, dance with and snuggle up to all the spunky young guys, even just for a short time. The downside was we had to be careful of the older, mostly married men who sometimes tried to feel us up. It was mostly a good fun family night with a band who could play anything asked, and often a singer with a wonderful voice. Every family brought a plate of food for to share for supper and tea, coffee and cold drinks were usually supplied by the hall committee. A small fee was charged to help cover the cost of the drinks and a donation to the band. Halls were packed for these dances. The final dance of the night was usually the chicken dance and everyone joined in, such great fun.

While I remember these dances, being from the country and attending country dances in country halls most of the dances were the pride of Erin, different waltzes, and the one most of us young ladies loved, the progressive barn dance where we got to check out, dance with and snuggle up to all the spunky young guys, even just for a short time. The downside was we had to be careful of the older, mostly married men who sometimes tried to feel us up. It was mostly a good fun family night with a band who could play anything asked, and often a singer with a wonderful voice. Every family brought a plate of food for to share for supper and tea, coffee and cold drinks were usually supplied by the hall committee. A small fee was charged to help cover the cost of the drinks and a donation to the band. Halls were packed for these dances. The final dance of the night was usually the chicken dance and everyone joined in, such great fun.
Sadly, one unchanged thing is the presence of creeps 😅