‘The audacity’ – Woolworths deli worker’s rant about 'annoying' customers

Working in the customer service industry can be a difficult and thankless task – especially in supermarkets, where employees deal with customers rushing to buy bargains during sales and sudden price drops.

While staff members usually keep quiet about their own experience, one deli worker has had enough. In a series of now-deleted controversial videos uploaded on TikTok, a Woolworths deli worker revealed all the various ways supermarket customers ‘annoy’ her.

The team member from South Australia listed nine things that bother her while operating the deli counter.

Two separate videos were uploaded, which detailed the worker’s experience in dealing with customers on a wide range of topics, including how they order ham, place orders just before closing time and speaking on the phone while ordering at the deli counter.

The worker also took aim at parents who allowed their kids to order at the counter and the kids who asked for food.

‘I have worked in the deli for almost six years now. And these are just a few things that customers do that grind my gears,’ she said in the first video.

deli1.jpg
The worker took aim at Woolworths shoppers. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

She listed nine points explaining her reasons and noted that some of her confessions might be ‘controversial’:

#1: When customers get their kids to speak for them

The staff member said: ‘Now, this annoys me for many reasons because not only are you making your kid uncomfortable, you’re making me uncomfortable.’

She said it’s because she typically has a hard time hearing the words a child would say over the counter. ‘The kid does not want to speak to me. It’s just all around annoying,’ she explained.

#2: Ordering before the store closes

The worker also slammed customers who ordered right before the deli counter closed.

‘The audacity of some customers. They come in five minutes before we close and say, “Can I have 500g of this? And there’s only 100g in the bowl, and they’re like, “Can you do me up some more?”’ The woman said while letting out a frustrated groan.

#3: Speaking on the phone while ordering

Another pet peeve she shared is catering to customers on a call while ordering at the counter.

‘Speaking on the phone when they come up to the deli, and they shush you when you ask them if they’re ready or when you greet them,’ she said.

She continued: ‘Or even worse when they answer the phone halfway through ordering and then when you ask, “Anything else?” They’ll shush you even though they answered the phone halfway through ordering. I can’t.’

#4: Ignoring the greetings

According to the worker, ignoring someone who greets you is rude.

She explained: ‘So, you’re like “Hey, how are you?” And they just…either they start ordering straight away, no hello back, no “how are you”, or they just straight up ignore you and keep looking.’

The worker said she’s mostly left standing there waiting or asking the customer if they’re just looking around, but usually, the customer walks off without even acknowledging her.

deli2.jpg
The deli worker shared her frustrations online. Credit: Federico Arnaboldi/Pexels

#5: When customers yell

The worker explained: ‘When they walk up, and they’ve been there for 0.2 seconds, and they’re like “Hello?” And yell out to you? Oh, don’t even try me.’

#6: Asking for freshly sliced ham

The Woolies staff member started the second half of her rant by saying that this request ‘irks’ her.

She shared: ‘So, you’ve just sliced some ham up, and you’ve put it in the cabinet, [the] customer comes up and asks, “Can I have 500g of that ham?” Then, they go: “But can you slice it fresh for me?” I tell them I just did it five minutes ago.’

The woman continued: ‘And they say, “Yeah, but I like it sliced fresh.” I cannot tell you how much that irks me. Or when they go, “Can you give me that ham, but can you cut it for me thicker or thinner?”’

She then said she wished they’d ‘stop’ asking for this.

#7: Picky customers

The Woolies staff member also complained about picky customers.

‘I get it if you go 100g or 200g over. But when it’s 5g to 10g over, they say, “Hmm, a little less,” and you have to break the ham. If you take one slice of ham out, it’s too much. So, you have to break a piece off,’ she stated before adding that it’s ‘only an extra 5 cents’.

#8: When kids yell

‘Now this one gets me because, as a non-kid person ... I really don’t like kids. I’m not a kid person at all,’ the woman declared in the video.

She added that this happens when the child is asking for a piece of smiley fritz.

‘Can I have a piece of smiley fritz? I just want to say, “No. No, you can’t’, and their parents just yell at you, and I mean yell, and you just think, “What’s going on here?”’ She said.

#9: When customers can’t choose

Last but not least, the Woolies worker took aim at shoppers who couldn’t choose their meat.

‘This one really gets me. When they order, and they go, ‘Can I have $2 of whichever ham,” and I say that there’s a whole variety here…and they go, “Yeah, whichever one you think.” I really hate that because I don’t know what you like,’ the worker explained.

She said she didn’t want to pick the ham for the customers anymore.

‘It happens way too often,’ she concluded.

The staff member’s videos prompted a strong reaction from fellow deli workers – most of them were sympathetic and shared their experiences.

‘This. And when they start yelling at you about the prices of something in a completely different department. Does it look like I did that?’ One said.

Another added that they have the same experiences despite working at Coles. ‘Also, me and my co-workers are constantly laughing at the fact that there are two types of customers.’

‘OMG, the customers who yell at you when you have no ham left! Once got reported to the store manager for “being rude”,’ a third replied.

A Woolworths spokesperson commented on the video and told reporters it was ‘disappointing’ to see this behaviour from one of their team members.

‘This is a little disappointing to see, and we'll be following up with the team member,’ they said.

This confession comes after reports that Woolworths’ installation of body cameras in select stores received a bit of backlash online, with many claiming that it was invading customers' privacy. However, Woolworths quickly denied this claim and stated that their decision to implement body cameras was to protect their staff from abuse and mistreatment. You can read more about this report here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths deli worker has shared controversial videos that lift the lid on ‘annoying’ supermarket customers.
  • The worker identified these nine key points that customers use to ‘grind her gears’, such as speaking on the phone at the deli counter and asking for food.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson described the videos as disappointing and said they would follow up with the team member.
  • The videos prompted a sympathetic reaction from fellow deli workers.
How do you feel about this, members? Have you encountered a customer yelling at a supermarket staff worker or seen something similar? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Sponsored
Working in the customer service industry can be a difficult and thankless task – especially in supermarkets, where employees deal with customers rushing to buy bargains during sales and sudden price drops.

While staff members usually keep quiet about their own experience, one deli worker has had enough. In a series of now-deleted controversial videos uploaded on TikTok, a Woolworths deli worker revealed all the various ways supermarket customers ‘annoy’ her.

The team member from South Australia listed nine things that bother her while operating the deli counter.

Two separate videos were uploaded, which detailed the worker’s experience in dealing with customers on a wide range of topics, including how they order ham, place orders just before closing time and speaking on the phone while ordering at the deli counter.

The worker also took aim at parents who allowed their kids to order at the counter and the kids who asked for food.

‘I have worked in the deli for almost six years now. And these are just a few things that customers do that grind my gears,’ she said in the first video.

View attachment 15580

She listed nine points explaining her reasons and noted that some of her confessions might be ‘controversial’:

The staff member said: ‘Now, this annoys me for many reasons because not only are you making your kid uncomfortable, you’re making me uncomfortable.’

She said it’s because she typically has a hard time hearing the words a child would say over the counter. ‘The kid does not want to speak to me. It’s just all around annoying,’ she explained.

The worker also slammed customers who ordered right before the deli counter closed.

‘The audacity of some customers. They come in five minutes before we close and say, “Can I have 500g of this? And there’s only 100g in the bowl, and they’re like, “Can you do me up some more?”’ The woman said while letting out a frustrated groan.

Another pet peeve she shared is catering to customers on a call while ordering at the counter.

‘Speaking on the phone when they come up to the deli, and they shush you when you ask them if they’re ready or when you greet them,’ she said.

She continued: ‘Or even worse when they answer the phone halfway through ordering and then when you ask, “Anything else?” They’ll shush you even though they answered the phone halfway through ordering. I can’t.’

She explained: ‘So, you’re like “Hey, how are you?” And they just…either they start ordering straight away, no hello back, no “how are you”, or they just straight up ignore you and keep looking.’

The worker said she’s mostly left standing there waiting or asking the customer if they’re just looking around, but usually, the customer walks off without even acknowledging her.

View attachment 15581
The deli worker shared her frustrations online. Credit: Federico Arnaboldi/Pexels

The worker explained: ‘When they walk up, and they’ve been there for 0.2 seconds, and they’re like “Hello?” And yell out to you? Oh, don’t even try me.’

The Woolies staff member started the second half of her rant by saying that this request ‘irks’ her.

She shared: ‘So, you’ve just sliced some ham up, and you’ve put it in the cabinet, [the] customer comes up and asks, “Can I have 500g of that ham?” Then, they go: “But can you slice it fresh for me?” I tell them I just did it five minutes ago.’

The woman continued: ‘And they say, “Yeah, but I like it sliced fresh.” I cannot tell you how much that irks me. Or when they go, “Can you give me that ham, but can you cut it for me thicker or thinner?”’

‘I get it if you go 100g or 200g over. But when it’s 5g to 10g over, they say, “Hmm, a little less,” and you have to break the ham. If you take one slice of ham out, it’s too much. So, you have to break a piece off,’ she stated before adding that it’s ‘only an extra 5 cents’.

‘Now this one gets me because, as a non-kid person ... I really don’t like kids. I’m not a kid person at all,’ the woman declared in the video.

She added that this happens when the child is asking for a piece of smiley fritz.

‘Can I have a piece of smiley fritz? I just want to say, “No. No, you can’t’, and their parents just yell at you, and I mean yell, and you just think, “What’s going on here?”’ She said.

Last but not least, the Woolies worker took aim at shoppers who couldn’t choose their meat.

‘This one really gets me. When they order, and they go, ‘Can I have $2 of whichever ham,” and I say that there’s a whole variety here…and they go, “Yeah, whichever one you think.” I really hate that because I don’t know what you like,’ the worker explained.

The staff member’s videos prompted a strong reaction from fellow deli workers – most of them were sympathetic and shared their experiences.

‘This. And when they start yelling at you about the prices of something in a completely different department. Does it look like I did that?’ One said.

Another added that they have the same experiences despite working at Coles. ‘Also, me and my co-workers are constantly laughing at the fact that there are two types of customers.’

‘OMG, the customers who yell at you when you have no ham left! Once got reported to the store manager for “being rude”,’ a third replied.

A Woolworths spokesperson commented on the video and told reporters it was ‘disappointing’ to see this behaviour from one of their team members.

‘This is a little disappointing to see, and we'll be following up with the team member,’ they said.

This confession comes after reports that Woolworths’ installation of body cameras in select stores received a bit of backlash online, with many claiming that it was invading customers' privacy. However, Woolworths quickly denied this claim and stated that their decision to implement body cameras was to protect their staff from abuse and mistreatment. You can read more about this report here.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths deli worker has shared controversial videos that lift the lid on ‘annoying’ supermarket customers.
  • The worker identified these nine key points that customers use to ‘grind her gears’, such as speaking on the phone at the deli counter and asking for food.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson described the videos as disappointing and said they would follow up with the team member.
How do you feel about this, members? Have you encountered a customer yelling at a supermarket staff work ker or seen something similar? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

I have also gone to the deli counter 45 minutes before closing time and have been turned away by being told that the slicer has been cleaned and no 'sorry" I can't help you. Service? Not!

View attachment 15580

View attachment 15581

Key Takeaways

How do you feel about this, members? Have you encountered a customer yelling at a supermarket staff worker or seen something similar? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
Not in customer service but totally sympathise with every one of these irks! People (ie many customers) are so rude these days! What happened to good old fashioned manners? Its not like it is hard to be nice!
As for cameras, i call bs on them being for defending/protecting the customer service rep & betting they are more likely used more to monitor staff productivity & or reprimand the customer service rep's behaviour toward customers & their patience to deal with them (thus selecting which casual staff members will get more paid hrs, etc). Since when did supermarket giants treat workers with respect & defend them?

Last edited:

View attachment 15580

View attachment 15581

Key Takeaways

Rarely see a deli member who has been anything but helpful, they deserve decent treatment from me. Think the cameras to protect staff a good idea.

I think some stores close the deli an hour before closing time now, for that very reason. I probably agree with her that all those things are annoying, and unnecessary
If they close one hour before then it should be advertised.
But if the closing time is not advertised and you tell me NO because the slicer has been cleaned. That is not acceptable.
I don't agree with rudeness. I am never rude to customer service.

To my knowledge we always say hello, ask how their day is going or how they are, we use their name as its on their badges, if our phone goes which is rare then the other person will continue to order what we want as in my husband might answer his phone and I will continue, however if my phone does go depending on who it is I either answer it or I look and ring them back. We have a disabled daughter and regardless of where I am if it is someone that rings from the day options she goes to I will answer. I don't yell at the person serving me and we actually ask for what we need. I can't imagine going up to a deli counter and not know what I want. I do chat about it with my husband when we get there or if I am on my own check out what is available before I am served or while I have asked for ham look to see what else I might need. Isn't that common sense?

To my knowledge we always say hello, ask how their day is going or how they are, we use their name as its on their badges, if our phone goes which is rare then the other person will continue to order what we want as in my husband might answer his phone and I will continue, however if my phone does go depending on who it is I either answer it or I look and ring them back. We have a disabled daughter and regardless of where I am if it is someone that rings from the day options she goes to I will answer. I don't yell at the person serving me and we actually ask for what we need. I can't imagine going up to a deli counter and not know what I want. I do chat about it with my husband when we get there or if I am on my own check out what is available before I am served or while I have asked for ham look to see what else I might need. Isn't that common sense?
All true. These comments from the article are about a few customers. It is not a comment on all customers. Cleaning the slicers is a lengthy job. So once they are done it is awkward to then have to use them. Deli staff, or any team members, do not get paid overtime.

I would never be on my phone while being served or waiting to be served in any shop. Actually, I would never be guilty of any of these behaviours - except for asking for meat to be freshly sliced. You don’t know how long the sliced meat has been sitting there, regardless of what you’re told. Sometimes it’s dry and curling up at the edges, in which case I certainly don’t want it. My local Foodworks deli never pre-slices meat, and will always ask if you want it shaved, sliced or a bit thicker.

All true. These comments from the article are about a few customers. It is not a comment on all customers. Cleaning the slicers is a lengthy job. So once they are done it is awkward to then have to use them. Deli staff, or any team members, do not get paid overtime.
I do understand that cleaning the slicers are time consuming however I have asked if they could slice some ham for me when I need slices instead of shaved. Its rare but I also don't just have small amounts, if I am asking them to actually slice the ham for me I always make it worth while and have at least a 500 gms or 1 kilo.

Having worked on a deli counter in the past I’m happy to say I’m not guilty of any of these points lol. I fully understand how annoying it can be to be asked to slice meat just before closing. I had the full backing of the store owner/manager to politely refuse once the slicer had been cleaned.

Reactions: Jennie and Ricci
I empathise with number two! I used to work in a ladies' clothing boutique and my heart would sink when customers would come in five minutes before closing and swish the clothes back and forth on the racks! Of course, we would still smile and be polite, most people don't realise that we had to finger-space every hanger on every rack, as well as vacuum and dust. The store had to look perfect before we left, and that was in addition to finalising the day's sales!

View attachment 15580

View attachment 15581

Key Takeaways

It's the same everywhere you go these days, lot of rude ignorant people who think they're the only customers. Where's the respect ? Pity some parents didn't teach the kids more respect as well, it's what's lacking these days.

I would never be on my phone while being served or waiting to be served in any shop. Actually, I would never be guilty of any of these behaviours - except for asking for meat to be freshly sliced. You don’t know how long the sliced meat has been sitting there, regardless of what you’re told. Sometimes it’s dry and curling up at the edges, in which case I certainly don’t want it. My local Foodworks deli never pre-slices meat, and will always ask if you want it shaved, sliced or a bit thicker.
I like ham thin sliced, so usually, I like it to be cut fresh!! I dislike the way they serve them in plastic bags. They shove it in…….such bad service!!

Reactions: Jennie and Ricci
When I worked I considered my employer was entitled to my best efforts. This meant being polite to customers and if they annoyed me I just thought I'm the one getting paid in this transaction.
I worked at Woolies deli counter in my school holidays and it inspired me to get a good education. I'm always aware that shop assistants are only human, so if I get served by a grumpy or unfriendly one I don't take it personally.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci

View attachment 15580

View attachment 15581

Key Takeaways

Wow. Lots of gripes. I can agree with some bud maybe she needs a behind the scenes job.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 15580

View attachment 15581

Key Takeaways

When I go to the deli I always say hello,
if I am browsing I say hello and that I am browsing and say thankyou
Rember MANERS first and it costs nothing

I like Hot Hungarian Salimi. but with very few teeth (I can't wear dentures), I have to have it freshly shaved it has to last me for a fortnight between pensions. hence the 'fresh request. I am always polite as I was bought up in the time of manners.

Reactions: Marj53
I only buy 100 gms of any meat as there are only my mum and I any more is wasted. Sometimes the meat looks old so I will ask for fresh to be cut as it is usually for the next day. I always tell them I would like it less than more. If it is just a bit over I accept it. The woolies stores I go to have a notice that the deli closes at a certain time. One thing I would like to know is why have they taken the tickets away so they call out customers in order.

Reactions: Marj53

View attachment 15580

View attachment 15581

Key Takeaways

Number 6 just do what the customer asks for I come into the store and ask for it to be cut because I don't know how long it's been sitting there anyhow I've got the ham that's sat in the cabinet before and a day or two later it's slimy or off so I ask for it to be sliced fresh and if you don't like that find another job girl your not a team player p.s I'm always polite to the conter staff