‘Sublime’, ‘Luckyboy’, ‘Lucifer’: These parents regret giving their kids ‘atrocious’ names

Having a baby is an amazing, life-changing event. It's natural to want everything about your new bundle of joy to be perfect – including their name.

Unfortunately, not all parents make the best choices when it comes to naming their children. In some cases, they end up regretting the names they've chosen for their little ones almost immediately after leaving the hospital.

Gabby Lamb, a comedian from the US, recently prompted an amusing discussion on social media after revealing that she once compiled a list of ‘atrocious’ baby names she planned on using if she ever became a parent.

pexels-photo-1973270.jpg
Naming a child should be given more thought. Credit: Pexels/kelvin octa
In a viral TikTok video, Gabby said: ‘Okay serious question for parents: do you ever regret what you named your kid? I'm asking because growing up I kept this list of potential baby names and I was thinking about the list the other day.’

‘I'm like “thank f***ing god I didn't have a kid at 16 or 18 or 22 or 25” because the names I wrote down were f***ing atrocious.’

She then proceeded to share some of her former favourites with viewers – one of which was ‘Sublime’. Yes, as in the American reggae rock band from the '90s.

‘I just would have regretted that,’ she shared.

Thankfully Gabby realised how silly that would have been before it was too late! Talk about close calls, eh?

In response to the candid post, people around the world flooded in with their own stories of near-disasters and shared tales of regretful baby name choices they’ve made in years gone by. Here are just some of our favourites.

‘My cousin's name is Sativa - her daughter is named Indica and her son is named Haze. I wish I was making this up,’ one user wrote.

‘Hi, I am Luckyboy and I am 46 years old… my mother says she doesn’t regret it,’ one user shared with crying emojis.

Another added: ‘My son’s name is Lucifer and I get asked this a LOT. But honestly, I love the name Lucifer.’

One adventurous mother-to-be is considering an apt name: ‘I wanted to name my daughter Indy Anna. Our last name is Jones.’

‘Yeah, we named our youngest son Gene before he was born. We chose it. And then three days after he was born we found out he had a gene defect,’ one parent shared.

Another user added (we think jokingly): ‘My name is Poison and I was named after the band.’

‘I named my daughter Nevaeh. I kind of wish I named her something more basic, everyone spells it wrong,’ a laughing mother added. (Clue: spell Nevaeh backwards and you’ll get…)

Other commenters were kind enough to point out that there is a Facebook group dedicated to awkward, cringeworthy names called ‘That name is a tragedeigh’. (Sadly, the group is set to private, but you can join if you wish!)

It’s not only parents who have a hard time naming things — try reading about these hilarious kids with a straight face!

How about you? If you’re a parent, do you regret naming your child the way you did?

Or do you know of someone with a funny-sounding moniker?

Share your thoughts, opinions — and names — below! (Be mindful of not giving out full names though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Having a baby is an amazing, life-changing event. It's natural to want everything about your new bundle of joy to be perfect – including their name.

Unfortunately, not all parents make the best choices when it comes to naming their children. In some cases, they end up regretting the names they've chosen for their little ones almost immediately after leaving the hospital.

Gabby Lamb, a comedian from the US, recently prompted an amusing discussion on social media after revealing that she once compiled a list of ‘atrocious’ baby names she planned on using if she ever became a parent.

View attachment 7080
In a viral TikTok video, Gabby said: ‘Okay serious question for parents: do you ever regret what you named your kid? I'm asking because growing up I kept this list of potential baby names and I was thinking about the list the other day.’

‘I'm like “thank f***ing god I didn't have a kid at 16 or 18 or 22 or 25” because the names I wrote down were f***ing atrocious.’

She then proceeded to share some of her former favourites with viewers – one of which was ‘Sublime’. Yes, as in the American reggae rock band from the '90s.

Thankfully Gabby realised how silly that would have been before it was too late! Talk about close calls, eh?

In response to the candid post, people around the world flooded in with their own stories of near-disasters and shared tales of regretful baby name choices they’ve made in years gone by. Here are just some of our favourites.

‘My cousin's name is Sativa - her daughter is named Indica and her son is named Haze. I wish I was making this up,’ one user wrote.

‘Hi, I am Luckyboy and I am 46 years old… my mother says she doesn’t regret it,’ one user shared with crying emojis.

Another added: ‘My son’s name is Lucifer and I get asked this a LOT. But honestly, I love the name Lucifer.’

One adventurous mother-to-be is considering an apt name: ‘I wanted to name my daughter Indy Anna. Our last name is Jones.’

‘Yeah, we named our youngest son Gene before he was born. We chose it. And then three days after he was born we found out he had a gene defect,’ one parent shared.

Another user added (we think jokingly): ‘My name is Poison and I was named after the band.’

‘I named my daughter Nevaeh. I kind of wish I named her something more basic, everyone spells it wrong,’ a laughing mother added. (Clue: spell Nevaeh backwards and you’ll get…)

Other commenters were kind enough to point out that there is a Facebook group dedicated to awkward, cringeworthy names called ‘That name is a tragedeigh’. (Sadly, the group is set to private, but you can join if you wish!)
Usarmy (USArmy)m

It’s not only parents who have a hard time naming things — try reading about these hilarious kids with a straight face!

How about you? If you’re a parent, do you regret naming your child the way you did?

Share your thoughts, opinions — and names — below! (Be mindful of not giving out full names though.)

View attachment 7080

Usarmy (US Army) father was an Army dude visiting Australia
T-Sha (Tdasha)
Shrek

I married a Greek. The Greeks name the first son and first daughter after the babies grandparents.

My son is Yharni which he gets both yhani and John.

Our daughter is Pothiti it's an ancient Greek name again she gets Pothiti and Poppy.

Other names we have are
Nick,
Georgina,
Stephanie
Sophie
Anna
Benjamin
Angelo
Eleni
Melissa
Matthew
Christina

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 7080

Parents should be charged with child abuse :(