‘So disgusting’: Customer reveals shocking find in Kmart pillows!

Keeping your home comfortable is an utmost priority for everyone, and shopping for home essentials should be a stress-free task.

However, for one Kmart customer, a routine trip turned into a shocking discovery that sparked concern and disgust among shoppers.

Social media user Kaz browsed the aisles of Kmart and found an unpleasant surprise when she reached for the Anko Cotton Rich Cover pillow sets, which are sold in pairs for $14.

While inspecting the pillows, she was taken aback by the unsightly stains that marred the products.

The pillows had yellow and dark patches, which she quickly identified as mould.

The sight was so disturbing that she felt compelled to capture the evidence on video.

compressed-anko 2.jpeg
‘Definitely not buying any pillows today,’ Kaz states on a video, showing discoloured and mouldy pillows from Kmart. Image Credit: TikTok/@holmanlife

'Can you see that? That’s so disgusting,' she said.

Kaz shared the video online, which was flooded by strong reactions from viewers.

‘What the actual, it looks like someone's used them and returned them,’ one comment read.

One viewer, who claimed experience managing a bed store, suggested that the plastic wrapping might be the culprit, trapping moisture and creating an ideal environment for mould to thrive.

'I was just about to say do not buy them, they get mouldy very easily. We regularly check ours, we live in Far North Queensland,' another chimed in. 'That brand attracts [mould] like flies to s**t.'

While Kmart declined to comment on the specific case, a product inspection is underway.

The retail giant has a standing invitation for customers to report any product issues for investigation.

The contamination also raised health concerns, as mould can pose significant risks.

University of New South Wales Senior Research Fellow Dr Christine Cowie, an environmental epidemiologist, highlighted that mould is a common type of fungi that thrives in natural environments and humid conditions.

While many people may not experience immediate symptoms, exposure to mould in the home leads to increased sensitivity and a range of symptoms, including sneezing, nasal congestion, headaches, and irritated eyes.

Inhaling large amounts of mould spores can lead to severe cases such as lung infections.

There are several ways to discourage mould growth at home, including ensuring adequate ventilation and fixing leaks.

This incident serves as a reminder to be vigilant when purchasing household items, especially those that come into close contact with our bodies.

It also highlights the importance of retailers maintaining strict quality control measures to ensure the safety and satisfaction of their customers.
Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper found what appeared to be black mould on Anko Cotton Rich Cover pillow sets.
  • The shopper shared footage of the pillows online, causing shock among viewers.
  • Some comments suggested moisture from the pillows' plastic wrapping could cause the problem.
  • An epidemiologist from UNSW stated that mould may cause allergic reactions or lung infections if not cleaned properly.
Have you ever encountered mould or other contaminants on store-bought items? How did you handle the situation? Share your experiences and tips with our community in the comments below.

Sponsored
So the big question is did she contact kmart ?

I received my on line order from kmart yesterday and discovered a pair of knit pants was undone at the seam, leaving a large whole.
I emailed kmart through their website and added a photo. Within 1 hour they refunded me and apologised. I received 2 pairs and they actually refunded the two pairs even though it was just one pair that was undone.

Hmm should I have put this all over the Web?

Seriously things happen, contact the store and if they don't fix the problem then put it on line

I would say with all the humidity we have had lately and being in plastic that was the problem

Oh the hyperbole - "disgusting" "compelled to film it" "sparked concern and disgust" - this is ridiculous.
Point this out to KMart - they will deal with it.
I have found KMart excellent in dealing with refunds and problems.
With the world in disarray and famine in Gaza, this is a national concern?