‘Right place at the right time’: Dad’s birthday gift earns him $100,000 fortune

When we think of birthday surprises, we often imagine a cake, a gathering of loved ones, or perhaps a thoughtful gift.

But for one family, a birthday celebration turned into an extraordinary windfall that exemplified the bond between father and son.

In a heartwarming tale of luck and generosity, an Aussie dad's birthday took a turn for the spectacular when a $5 Wheel of Fortune scratch card gifted by his son revealed a $100,000 jackpot.

The Instant Scratch-It, bought on a whim during a last-minute stop at a Bacchus Marsh newsagency, became the ticket to a shared fortune neither of them could have predicted.

shutterstock_1940407774.jpg
A dad won $100,000 from a $5 scratch card gifted by his son Credit: Shutterstock

The son, from Wyndham Vale, recounted the series of fortunate events to lottery officials.

'We were running really late, but we stopped at [the] Newsagency to get a wedding card. That was the main reason we stopped,' he explained.

'While we were there, I bought Dad this Instant Scratch-Its ticket as a present for his birthday.'

Little did he know that this spontaneous gesture would soon make both him and his parents $50,000 richer.

The father, overwhelmed with gratitude, didn't hesitate to share the bounty with his son. 'Dad called me and said, “I’ve won! I’ll split it with you!” So Dad’s given me half,' the son shared, still in disbelief over the 'crazy' and 'pretty wild' turn of events.

The initial shock was even greater for the elderly parents, who at first thought they had won a tenth of the actual prize.

'My mum read the ticket after he’d scratched it and thought he’d won $10,000. But then my sister checked the ticket and realised it was actually $100,000,' he said, still astounded by their good fortune.

‘I was blown away. We just couldn’t believe it. What are the chances?!’

For this family, the win couldn't have come at a better time, and it was ‘just a case of being in the right place at the right time’.

The son and his partner plan to use their share of the winnings towards a house deposit, a significant step towards escaping the rental market and securing their own home.

Meanwhile, his parents are set to enjoy their unexpected windfall, a delightful addition to their retirement funds.

Good things always come when you least expect it—and that’s what happened to this one man.

In a previous story, a man found that his Lotto ticket matched all the winning numbers for a Division One prize after eating a ‘dodgy carbonara’. You can read more about his story here.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie dad won $100,000 from an Instant Scratch-It ticket given to him by his son as a birthday gift.
  • The son purchased the winning scratch card in Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, while buying a wedding card.
  • After discovering their good fortune, the father agreed to split the winnings with his son, awarding them $50,000 each.
  • With the winnings, the father plans to enjoy the windfall, while the son aims to use his share for a house deposit to escape the rental market.
Do you have a similar tale of good fortune or a heartwarming story of generosity? Share it with us in the comments below!

Sponsored