‘Really traumatic’: Terrance Flowers to launch lawsuit against Channel 7 for being wrongfully accused in Cleo Smith case

Terrance Flowers, the man who was wrongly identified as the suspect involved in kidnapping West Australian girl Cleo Smith, has officially launched a defamation lawsuit against Channel 7.

ScBhUAOuOKYma9KD-O2q5xZar6UE1tH-_-h4tWOLvu4raKZgdpIRi3fTjqSQWQHP_AeviYEmYblKUho_Syp6aVZKdlxSlSho5gc_OO3q9Q_ic75ghpaK2fDlTlPtQ9z8Uxg8n0NA

Terrance Flowers, whose mother's name is Kelly, uses the name Terry Kelly on Facebook. Photo from Ngaarda Media.

Terrance Flowers was shocked when he found out his Facebook photos had been used in television broadcasts, an online article, a tweet and a Facebook post, accusing him of abducting the four-year-old girl.

One headline read: “PICTURED: The man accused of abducting Cleo Smith named as Terrance Kelly, 36”, which left the innocent Mr Flowers feeling scared for his life.

The suspect who has been charged over the alleged abduction of Cleo is named Terence Darrell Kelly, also known as Terry Kelly.

Mr Flowers described the experience as ‘really traumatic’.

"We saw it up on Channel 7 and Sunrise page. I got upset and went back into the police station. I ended up getting more upset, and I had a panic attack in the police station," he said.

The panic attack was so severe that the man had to be taken to a hospital and given medication to calm down.

He was later told that Channel 7 lifted the images from his Facebook account and used them without his consent.

The 27-year-old Nyamal man was furious at how quickly his personal images were plastered all over the country.

"That stuff is not acceptable," he said. "What they did was go straight to Facebook. (I was) the first person they saw, (they) got through my photos and uploaded them on social media, and spread it around, not just in Australia; this is worldwide.”

"I want them to do their job more seriously, and professionally and I'm gonna end up suing them anyway, cause it's not the right thing for them to be doing."

Terrance Flowers is now being represented by a team of lawyers from Sydney, who have submitted a defamation lawsuit with the Western Australian Supreme Court.

The public interest in Mr Flowers’ pictures was unbelievably high as this was the first time any images of a suspect for the alleged abduction had been released. The lawyers described the incident as being ‘extremely distressing’ for Mr Flowers and his family.

"Given the public interest in the disappearance of Cleo Smith throughout Australia, it was the natural and probable consequence of the [broadcast] that the allegations made about Mr Flowers in that publication would be widely republished," the lawsuit states.

"Mr Flowers recently became a father and, like everyone else throughout Australia, and particularly being a parent himself, he was hoping for Cleo's safe return.”

"Being identified as responsible for her abduction and disappearance was extremely distressing to him and his family.”

"It is of great concern to Mr Flowers and his family that a major media company would proceed with a story of this magnitude without being absolutely certain as to its accuracy.”

"The effect of this substantial error has been devastating."

His team of lawyers said he won't be making any public statements now that the lawsuit has been filed.

1637119759831.png
News outlet 7NEWS has apologised to Mr Flowers. Photo from 7NEWS.

When the mistake was identified, Channel 7 issued an apology saying, “On November 3, Seven used Facebook photographs of Nyamal man Mr Terrance Kelly, also known as Terrance Flowers, of Karratha in Western Australia in a story about the arrest of another man with a similar name for the abduction of Cleo Smith.”

“We got it wrong.”

“Mr Kelly, a new father himself, was in no way connected with Cleo’s abduction, and his Facebook photos should not have been used.”

“Seven apologises unreservedly to Mr Kelly and his family for the distress this has caused.”

Terrance revealed he has received violent threats after being misidentified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Poor man! Let this be a lesson for all of us to improve the security settings on our social media profiles ...

I really feel for him. This will follow him everywhere

Reactions: KatKop