‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting!’: Tik Tok user reveals how much grime can build up on your brush in this new viral video

‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting!’: Tik Tok user reveals how much grime can build up on your brush in this new viral video
If you use a hairbrush then we are sure that you know you must remove the hair from it fairly often, but what you might not know is that there is more dirt lurking under the brush bristles even once the hair has been removed...

Tik Tok user @everything_tidy shared a now-viral video that revealed how much grime can build up on your brush bristles.

Credit: Tik Tok/@everything_tidy

The viral social media user said that she got inspired to wash her brushes after another content creator, @unitfour, shared a video explaining how using a dirty hairbrush can lead to dirty hair.

The video, which has amassed more than 3 million views, showed the user soaking her brushes in hot water and shampoo before leaving it for a while.

Upon returning, she discovered how 'muddy' the water looked, showing the amount of grime that washed off her brushes.

PGI0-5tDumwyFHeFYtzRAMqreE5c3Y-i4OXLkJfmFJ24KNCHcBqiuAKJ7UZ6oQrnd-vdCuE0Z_BxXb0thbL2K2udPa0JCX7Yw8zMYdv4z_7xGMw8yI0dqTX3qJavmuVh5T92vAQ

The TikTok user soaked her brushes in hot water and shampoo. Credit: Tik Tok/@everything_tidy.

She said in her clip: "I watched a video last week and it was a lady and she said, 'Maybe the main reason why your hair is getting greasy or oily quickly isn't, in fact, because of your hair follicles, and it is in fact because of your brush'."

'So I'm going to put that to the test. I've put all my brushes in the sink and we're going to leave them for a bit.'

'I've used hot water and shampoo because she didn't state what she used.'

After a few moments, the Tik Tok user returned to the basin.

'So I've left them for an hour and come back to check the water,' she said.

'Oh my god, that's disgusting. Ladies, don't forget to wash your hairbrushes. I didn't even know that was a thing, but look at the state of that.'

The post was met with mixed responses, with some users saying that they will regularly wash their own brushes from now on.

One user wrote: 'Goes and washes hair brushes now.'

'Do we have to wash everything?' asked another user who seemed disappointed to have another chore added to their list.

One user revealed that she does not use hairbrushes, writing: 'I'm glad I don't use a brush and just use my hands.'

Meanwhile, a number of users said they were confused that not everyone knows to wash their brush.

One user wrote: 'The fact that some of y'all don't know to wash your hair brushes regularly is appalling. Wash your hair = wash your brush at the same time.'

hAUq2vqaRunJzjVTlb2pqaDMHvbdfYyUNFpAazzeay6-81933LdZCJckiZCsXRuf02jI6OljBLjUXC8d10fdtdwE1G-72ttT4n27TVLkzvY7fxihh1qbZEZgkagu5IbxomFlTdI

The test revealed how much grime can build up on your brushes. Credit: Tik Tok/@everything_tidy.

Expert reveals the shocking things that might happen if you don't wash your hairbrush every week

Dermatology expert and RealSelf contributor Dr Sejal Shah told Good Housekeeping: 'The build-up on your hairbrush can serve as a nidus for bacteria and yeast overgrowth, so there is an infection risk.'

She revealed that the build-up residue on your hairbrush can go straight back onto your hair, undoing your hair care routine by making your hair greasier just moments after you've washed it.

Good Housekeeping recommends the following tips for cleaning hairbrushes:

1. General cleaning tip
Remove the dead clumps of hair every week
Give your brush a 'quick swish' of a light soap to keep it fresh and clean.

2. Plastic brushes and combs
Use a bowl of warm water mixed with a gentle or clarifying shampoo for cleaning it.
After rinsing, let them air dry.

3. Wooden brushes
Don't use harsh chemicals when cleaning them as the finish on the wood could get damaged.

It is understood that the original video was taken down by @everything_tidy. However, we provided a new video showing the TikTok user doing the trick to her friend’s hairbrush.

Do you know of any other tips on how to clean hair brushes? Share them with us in the comments below so other members can use them too!

Reactions: Akira11
Sponsored
I agree with the lady who was horrified to think that people don't wash their hairbrush when they wash their hair. It's pretty basic really. If your hair needs washing then so does your brush. Every hairdresser will tell you that you wash your brush with your shampoo. It works best on the hair oils that get into your brush from your hair. Wake up all you grotty people and wash your brush.

I give my brushes and combs a quick dip in hot water and ammonia and the dirt and oils are gone in just moments.

If you use a hairbrush then we are sure that you know you must remove the hair from it fairly often, but what you might not know is that there is more dirt lurking under the brush bristles even once the hair has been removed...

Tik Tok user @everything_tidy shared a now-viral video that revealed how much grime can build up on your brush bristles.

Credit: Tik Tok/@everything_tidy

The viral social media user said that she got inspired to wash her brushes after another content creator, @unitfour, shared a video explaining how using a dirty hairbrush can lead to dirty hair.

The video, which has amassed more than 3 million views, showed the user soaking her brushes in hot water and shampoo before leaving it for a while.

Upon returning, she discovered how 'muddy' the water looked, showing the amount of grime that washed off her brushes.

PGI0-5tDumwyFHeFYtzRAMqreE5c3Y-i4OXLkJfmFJ24KNCHcBqiuAKJ7UZ6oQrnd-vdCuE0Z_BxXb0thbL2K2udPa0JCX7Yw8zMYdv4z_7xGMw8yI0dqTX3qJavmuVh5T92vAQ

The TikTok user soaked her brushes in hot water and shampoo. Credit: Tik Tok/@everything_tidy.

She said in her clip: "I watched a video last week and it was a lady and she said, 'Maybe the main reason why your hair is getting greasy or oily quickly isn't, in fact, because of your hair follicles, and it is in fact because of your brush'."

'So I'm going to put that to the test. I've put all my brushes in the sink and we're going to leave them for a bit.'

'I've used hot water and shampoo because she didn't state what she used.'

After a few moments, the Tik Tok user returned to the basin.

'So I've left them for an hour and come back to check the water,' she said.

'Oh my god, that's disgusting. Ladies, don't forget to wash your hairbrushes. I didn't even know that was a thing, but look at the state of that.'

The post was met with mixed responses, with some users saying that they will regularly wash their own brushes from now on.

One user wrote: 'Goes and washes hair brushes now.'

'Do we have to wash everything?' asked another user who seemed disappointed to have another chore added to their list.

One user revealed that she does not use hairbrushes, writing: 'I'm glad I don't use a brush and just use my hands.'

Meanwhile, a number of users said they were confused that not everyone knows to wash their brush.

One user wrote: 'The fact that some of y'all don't know to wash your hair brushes regularly is appalling. Wash your hair = wash your brush at the same time.'

hAUq2vqaRunJzjVTlb2pqaDMHvbdfYyUNFpAazzeay6-81933LdZCJckiZCsXRuf02jI6OljBLjUXC8d10fdtdwE1G-72ttT4n27TVLkzvY7fxihh1qbZEZgkagu5IbxomFlTdI

The test revealed how much grime can build up on your brushes. Credit: Tik Tok/@everything_tidy.

Expert reveals the shocking things that might happen if you don't wash your hairbrush every week

Dermatology expert and RealSelf contributor Dr Sejal Shah told Good Housekeeping: 'The build-up on your hairbrush can serve as a nidus for bacteria and yeast overgrowth, so there is an infection risk.'

She revealed that the build-up residue on your hairbrush can go straight back onto your hair, undoing your hair care routine by making your hair greasier just moments after you've washed it.

Good Housekeeping recommends the following tips for cleaning hairbrushes:

1. General cleaning tip
Remove the dead clumps of hair every week
Give your brush a 'quick swish' of a light soap to keep it fresh and clean.

2. Plastic brushes and combs
Use a bowl of warm water mixed with a gentle or clarifying shampoo for cleaning it.
After rinsing, let them air dry.

3. Wooden brushes
Don't use harsh chemicals when cleaning them as the finish on the wood could get damaged.

It is understood that the original video was taken down by @everything_tidy. However, we provided a new video showing the TikTok user doing the trick to her friend’s hairbrush.

Do you know of any other tips on how to clean hair brushes? Share them with us in the comments below so other members can use them too!

Seriously! You dont wash your combs and brushes? I remove the hair and soak them once a week or at least once a fortnight in hot water with dishwashing liquid, wash and rinse an hour or two later and put them in the sun to dry

Last edited:
Unfortunately some things people just don't think to do. There's hidden dirt in everything we use daily!