‘It threw me off’: This common Aussie phrase puzzles American singer

Australians pride themselves on their unique slang and colloquialisms. However, one of the most commonly used phrases seems to leave some tourists scratching their heads.

The phrase in question? 'No worries'.

This expression has recently come under the spotlight thanks to American musician K.Flay, who admitted to being baffled by its usage.

K.Flay recently shared her bewilderment over the phrase during her Australian tour.

In a candid chat with the radio show Triple J, she expressed how the expression ‘threw her off’ and made her feel like she was causing concern despite the opposite intention.

image (1).jpg
American musician K.Flay was shocked at how the phrase ‘no worries’ was used in Australia. Credit: @triplejradio / TikTok

‘We say no worries, but it's in a different context. "No worries" is like when you ask someone to do a favour, and then that person goes, "Oh, no worries,"’ she said.

'You guys use “no worries” when basically nothing has been asked, and I'm like, I wasn't worrying about it. You are presuming the worry.’

K.Flay said someone from the radio station kindly gave her a glass of water, and when she took it, they spilled the usual expression.

‘You were like, I wasn't worried, you offered me water. You've just done a nice thing and offered me, why are you telling me no worries?' radio host Concetta Caristo said.

‘That threw me off, that's a very Australian thing, and it's really only in Australia,' K.Flay said.

Many Aussies explained the context of the expression.

‘No, it's the other way around. The person saying "no worries" is not worried by your request. We chilling,' one woman said.

Another agreed, 'This is how I use it.'

'We mean it's not a worry for us to get you anything, not telling you not to worry. Does that make sense?' a third asked.

‘Yeah! I thought about it and also got what she was saying as well. Like since we offered to get said thing, isn't it a given that it isn't a worry in the first place?' a fourth added.

Others also shared additional phrases from Australia and around the world that they had to become accustomed to.

'Wait till someone says "No Dramas",' one laughed.

'It's the same as when the British ask, "You okay?" as their “How are you?” But it sounds like they're assuming we're not okay,' another said.

'Felt this in the United Kingdom with, "Alright?" I would get so defensive...Yes, I'm alright, thank you!' a third replied.

You can watch K.Flay’s interview with Triple J below:

Credit: Triple J Radio / TikTok

In a similar story, an expert learned the hard way when she used a seemingly innocent term that turned out to be offensive to Australians.

What term did she use? Read the story here to find out.
Key Takeaways

• An American musician, K.Flay, found the common Australian phrase 'no worries' confusing during her tour in Australia.
  • Australians tend to use 'no worries' when nothing has been asked, implying no cause for concern, while Americans use it more when responding to someone asking a favour.
  • The phrase led to a misunderstanding for K.Flay, who initially thought she was offending people by invoking worry.
  • Aussies discussed and explained the phrase's usage and meaning, highlighting cultural differences in language and expressions.
Have you ever had a similar experience with language misunderstandings while travelling or hosting visitors from abroad? Or perhaps you've been the one puzzled by local sayings in other countries? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why do Americans rubbish Australians and Aussie differences. "No worries" is not to be taken literally. "no worries" means "okay", "all right" and other variations of the same. In america "h.e.a.d" and f.a.n.n.y" are different in their meanings to an Aussie's understanding of the words. When in Rome..................................

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Another example is fill your boots. with some folks scratching their heads which is a phrase I have used from time to time

Why do Americans rubbish Australians and Aussie differences. "No worries" is not to be taken literally. "no worries" means "okay", "all right" and other variations of the same. In america "h.e.a.d" and f.a.n.n.y" are different in their meanings to an Aussie's understanding of the words. When in Rome..................................
Don’t think they rubbish Australian way of life. SDC seems to make a big thing about innocent comments.

Don’t think they rubbish Australian way of life. SDC seems to make a big thing about innocent comments.
Just seems that they have it in for the Americans, don't know why as I've never heard any Americans putting shite on us. They like us.

Absolutely LOVE the way "like" has wormed its way into Strayan English. It's, like, we have to, you know, add "like" somewhere, like, in every sentence we offer these days to, like, get our message across ...