‘It’s like Christmas morning every single time’ – Cruise ship worker reveals ‘secret’ areas inside a luxury ship

Honestly, what could be more exciting than setting sail on a cruise ship? You get to explore different countries (or even continents), enjoy delicious food, watch shows and concerts, and meet new people from all over the world – all while travelling around in a giant boat! Sign us up!

While the posh lifestyle of the average cruise passenger is something that most of us can only dream about, being part of the cruise ship's crew is a bit of a different story altogether.

Bryan James, a musician who performs on board the Wonder of the Seas – aka the world’s biggest cruise ship – has revealed the secret areas that only crew members can access.

He shared the pictures and videos – mostly from below-deck places that are filled with shops, bedrooms, and hangout spots – on his TikTok account.

cruise1.JPG
Bryan revealed a secret hangout spot that only crew members can access. Credit: bryanjames.music on TikTok

Out of everything he’s revealed, one of the most interesting places was a secret area inside the ‘ship’s funnel’. Though it sounds shady at first, he explains that this is the perfect place to go in the evening to unwind and enjoy watching the sunset.

He said that after 150 days of being on board the ship, he’s only discovered the cool spot recently. ‘It’s like a secret hangout that’s by the funnel of the ship,’ he said.

‘It’s so pretty to be up here and to see the sunset.’

You can watch his video here:

Bryan’s video has gone viral with nearly 265,000 views and hundreds of comments. Most of them want to know more ‘secrets’ that only staff know.

‘Can you do a series showing us all these bars and “crew only” spaces?’ Someone said.

While others commented that they found similar ‘secret’ areas during their time on a cruise.

Another area that Bryan showed was the shop which can only be accessed by crew members. As he panned the camera around, viewers could see stacks of food and beverages on fancy shelves. Bryan said that they could get ‘pretty much anything’ they needed.

Cruise.JPG
Bryan’s social media account is filled with behind-the-scenes videos of his life inside the cruise ship. Credit: bryanjames.music on TikTok

Bryan explained that during the height of the pandemic, crew members weren’t allowed to leave the ship to visit ports. The secret shop became essential to their survival.

‘There was a time when the crew weren’t allowed off the ship for eight months,’ he said in the video.

‘It was like Christmas morning every single time the store got restocked.’

You can watch Bryan’s below-deck video here:

Key Takeaways

• Bryan James, a musician who performs on board the cruise ship Wonder of the Seas, has shared images from below-deck places which are off-limits to passengers.
  • All of the videos can be seen on Bryan’s TikTok (bryanjames.music), where millions of people have tuned in to see what life is like on board the ship.
  • One of the most interesting sites Bryan revealed was a ‘secret hang out’ that he said was ‘in the ship’s funnel’.
  • The crew shop was another area that Bryan showed his followers, saying he could get ‘pretty much anything’ he needed.
  • Bryan explained how essential the shop became during the pandemic when ship workers were not allowed to leave to visit ports.
Well, members, what are your thoughts on Bryan’s story? I don’t know about you but I’m feeling kind of jealous!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Honestly, what could be more exciting than setting sail on a cruise ship? You get to explore different countries (or even continents), enjoy delicious food, watch shows and concerts, and meet new people from all over the world – all while travelling around in a giant boat! Sign us up!

While the posh lifestyle of the average cruise passenger is something that most of us can only dream about, being part of the cruise ship's crew is a bit of a different story altogether.

Bryan James, a musician who performs on board the Wonder of the Seas – aka the world’s biggest cruise ship – has revealed the secret areas that only crew members can access.

He shared the pictures and videos – mostly from below-deck places that are filled with shops, bedrooms, and hangout spots – on his TikTok account.

View attachment 8107
Bryan revealed a secret hangout spot that only crew members can access. Credit: bryanjames.music on TikTok

Out of everything he’s revealed, one of the most interesting places was a secret area inside the ‘ship’s funnel’. Though it sounds shady at first, he explains that this is the perfect place to go in the evening to unwind and enjoy watching the sunset.

He said that after 150 days of being on board the ship, he’s only discovered the cool spot recently. ‘It’s like a secret hangout that’s by the funnel of the ship,’ he said.

Bryan’s video has gone viral with nearly 265,000 views and hundreds of comments. Most of them want to know more ‘secrets’ that only staff know.

‘Can you do a series showing us all these bars and “crew only” spaces?’ Someone said.

While others commented that they found similar ‘secret’ areas during their time on a cruise.

Another area that Bryan showed was the shop which can only be accessed by crew members. As he panned the camera around, viewers could see stacks of food and beverages on fancy shelves. Bryan said that they could get ‘pretty much anything’ they needed.

View attachment 8106
Bryan’s social media account is filled with behind-the-scenes videos of his life inside the cruise ship. Credit: bryanjames.music on TikTok

Bryan explained that during the height of the pandemic, crew members weren’t allowed to leave the ship to visit ports. The secret shop became essential to their survival.

‘There was a time when the crew weren’t allowed off the ship for eight months,’ he said in the video.

Key Takeaways

• Bryan James, a musician who performs on board the cruise ship Wonder of the Seas, has shared images from below-deck places which are off-limits to passengers.
  • All of the videos can be seen on Bryan’s TikTok (bryanjames.music), where millions of people have tuned in to see what life is like on board the ship.
  • One of the most interesting sites Bryan revealed was a ‘secret hang out’ that he said was ‘in the ship’s funnel’.
  • The crew shop was another area that Bryan showed his followers, saying he could get ‘pretty much anything’ he needed.
  • Bryan explained how essential the shop became during the pandemic when ship workers were not allowed to leave to visit ports.
Well, members, what are your thoughts on Bryan’s story? I don’t know about you but I’m feeling kind of jealous!

We never had anything remotely like this when I was working on passenger ships back in the fifties and sixties.

I love going on cruises but I won't even think about it for another couple of years. I want to make sure Covid is a thing of the past before my next cruise.;)

View attachment 8107

View attachment 8106

Key Takeaways

why should they not have their own areas dorothy

A friend of mine when we were growing up had an ambition to work as a nurse on a cruise ship. once qualified she worked and traveled all over the world. On one of her trips home she got her wish and traveled home while working on a ship - she hated every moment! I have never had any desire to go on a cruise and never will.

Honestly, what could be more exciting than setting sail on a cruise ship?
Getting locked in a hotel with 5000 strangers.

I was crew on several warships. Cruising in a floating hotel would be torture!

Honestly, what could be more exciting than setting sail on a cruise ship?
Getting locked in a hotel with 5000 strangers.

I was crew on several warships. Cruising in a floating hotel would be torture!
On British passenger ships, passengers were classed as cargo!! If you had the misfortune to be in flagrant with a passenger you would be charged with interfering with cargo, fined ten shillings!! Ah, the good old days.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RobD and Ricci
On British passenger ships, passengers were classed as cargo!! If you had the misfortune to be in flagrant with a passenger you would be with interfering with cargo, fined ten shillings!! Ah, the good old days.
The British "passenger" ships that brought my ancestors to our sunny shores were more or less, slave ships!
The "passengers" were in chains!

On British passenger ships, passengers were classed as cargo!! If you had the misfortune to be in flagrant with a passenger you would be charged with interfering with cargo, fined ten shillings!! Ah, the good old days.
As an adjunct to the last statement, my last passenger 12 passenger carrying cargo ships, we used to refer to our single Lady passengers, not in a derogatory way, but as an affectionate nom Daguerre as Port Line Teenagers, and if they got a bit fruity there were some crew members more than happy to oblige, this was also in the days of the infamous hilarious sod's operas. I've got to pack this in, giving too many old secrets and memories away.

Reactions: Ricci and RobD
The British "passenger" ships that brought my ancestors to our sunny shores were more or less, slave ships!
The "passengers" were in chains!
I know I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, but that was long before my time. But back in those days if you were sent out on what you class as a slave ship may have been a godsend to the alternative at the time I.e. Hanging from the gibbet for stealing a bread roll!!