‘It’s a disaster’: Monty Python’s Eric Idle spills why he can't retire at 80

Many legends have graced the comedy world, but few have left as indelible a mark as the Monty Python troupe.

Known for their irreverent humour and boundary-pushing sketches, the Pythons have been a staple of British comedy for over half a century.

However, despite their enduring popularity and seemingly lucrative careers, not all is well in the Python camp.

Eric Idle, one of the troupe's most recognisable faces, has recently revealed that he still has to work at the age of 80 due to financial difficulties.

Idle, who has been a part of the Monty Python team since its inception, has been candid about his financial struggles.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 8.25.00 AM.png
Eric Idle of the Monty Python said he is still working to make ends meet. Credit: Eric Idle Official Website

Despite the millions the Pythons have made over the years, Idle claimed he only receives a fraction of the profits.

The reason?

According to Idle, finances are a 'disaster'.

The comedy legend used social media to express his frustration, stating, 'I don’t know why people always assume we’re loaded.’

‘I have to work for my living. I never dreamed that at this age, the income streams would tail off so disastrously.'

‘I have been working and earning for Pythons since 1995. And now no more.’

Idle's comments have shed light on the often-overlooked financial realities of the entertainment industry.

Despite the perception of wealth and success, many performers face financial instability, particularly as they age and opportunities become scarcer.

The situation is further complicated by the involvement of Holly Gilliam, the daughter of fellow Python Terry Gilliam.

Holly took over the Python brand in 2013 as part of HDG Projects Ltd. Idle has been critical of her management, suggesting that her involvement has contributed to his financial woes.

He also aimed at Holly Gilliam, a TV lawyer daughter of fellow Python Terry Gilliam. In 2013, she took over the Python brand as part of HDG Projects Ltd.

‘I guess if you put a Gilliam child in as your manager, you should not be so surprised,’ Python added.

‘One Gilliam is bad enough. Two can take out any company.’

Idle's daughter, Lily, has publicly supported her father, saying, ‘I’m so proud of my dad for finally finally finally starting to share the truth.’

You may check Eric Idle’s statement below:

The Pythons, which also included John Cleese, Michael Palin, the late Terry Jones, and the late Graham Chapman, have enjoyed immense success over the years.

Their films, stage shows, and TV series have generated substantial revenue, such as Life of Brian, Spamalot, and Flying Circus.

They returned to the limelight with their 2014 show, Monty Python Live (Mostly)—One Down, Five to Go, which reportedly earned the surviving members at least £2 million ($3.87 million) each.

Despite this, Idle, who now resides in California, has had to sell his house and continues to work to make ends meet.

‘We still get something, but not enough to keep me on the beaches,’ Idle said.

On the other hand, Cleese is working on a TV reboot of Fawlty Towers, and Palin is creating travel documentaries.
Key Takeaways
  • Eric Idle, aged 80, has revealed financial difficulties, stating he must continue to work as he received only a fraction of Monty Python's earnings.
  • Idle criticised the management of the Python brand, particularly pointing at Holly Gilliam, whom he implies has not managed the finances well.
  • Despite the success of Monty Python, including films, stage shows, and TV series, Idle suggested that the expected income streams have significantly decreased.
  • Other Monty Python members like John Cleese and Michael Palin are also still working, with Cleese rebooting Fawlty Towers and Palin creating travel documentaries.
Have you ever been surprised to learn about the financial struggles of a celebrity you admire? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I believe California is one of the most expensive places to live in the world so not surprised that things are difficult for Eric, how sad to have to continue to work but he has done so many other things writing books, songs for other people. Surely he can't blame everything on one person even if it is Gilliam's child.