‘Is this for real?’ Woolworths shopper expressed her outrage after seeing this dairy product’s price increase

We like to be as prepared as possible when we do our grocery shopping, to avoid any surprises.

Unfortunately, it seems that one of Woolies’ most popular dairy products has undergone a price hike recently.

One Woolworths customer spotted an additional price increase on Devondale’s Dairy Soft Butter and took to Facebook to express her disbelief.

According to the Facebook post, the price of 500g tubs of Devondale Soft Butter was now at $7.50. The product retailed for around $5.70 a couple of months ago, meaning the price has risen around 31.5 per cent recently.

butter.JPG
The upset Woolworths shopper attached this image to their Facebook post. Credit: 7News

‘Is this for real? What a sick joke!’ The upset shopper wrote in her post.

‘It’s out of control, I could not believe my eyes on the prices,’ she later added.

Other social media users also expressed their concern over the sudden price hike.

‘OMG! That is ridiculous,’ someone even said.

As of writing, Devondale has yet to comment on the price increase for their product.

This price increase comes days after a Coles shopper noted that a 36-slice pack of CHEER Cheese also saw a price rise. The product – which previously sold for only $10 last year – is now sold at $17.55 at Coles! That’s a whopping 75 per cent increase.

The brand is owned by the same company as Devondale, and CHEER Tasty Cheese also hasn’t issued a response yet.

You can read more about that story here.

cheer.JPG
The Coles shopper attached this picture that shows the hefty price increase on CHEER Cheese. Credit: 7News

‘Between the cost of petrol and interest rates, I can barely afford home-brand cheese!’ Said one considerably upset customer.

Another added: ‘CHEER is the new Brie or Camembert. Save it for those special occasions.’

It seems like the steady rise in dairy prices is still affecting supermarkets all over the country. In a previous article we’ve written, a spokesperson from Woolworths stated that farmers were facing supply chain issues that justify the increase in prices.

‘Fertiliser costs have gone through the roof, we’ve got significant costs around energy, grain that we feed to our cows,’ said Mark Billing, who is the VP of The United Dairy Farmers of Victoria. You can read more about this story here.

The demand for milk has gone up, but market analysts from Rabobank said that milk production in Australia has declined. Although experts believe the milk production growth should return in early 2023.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has shared her anger after noticing a price hike on Devondale Dairy Soft Butter.
  • The price of Devondale’s Soft Butter has increased by 31.5 per cent – from $5.70 to $7.50.
  • This price hike comes days after news of another price increase on a popular dairy product, CHEER cheese, which saw a 75 per cent increase (from $10 in 2021 to $17.55 this month).
  • The demand for milk has gone up, meanwhile, milk production in the country has declined.
Looks like there’s still going to be an uptick in grocery costs, folks. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I remember hearing on the radio in the floods a few months back, a major dairy in Bega had their power cut. They had so many billions, yup billions of litres of milk to process but couldn’t do it without power obviously. They only have a short time frame to do so. (Don’t ask me, I’m a city girl!) I think that milk went to waste. I understand in these situations how it happens. It’s heartbreaking for our farmers who are the reason us city folk and the rest of the country survive. I expect they would need to increase their prices to survive. But I still think the big supermarkets are taking advantage and I bet our farmers don’t get as much of a profit as they need or deserve!

Eat healthy they said, it's good for you, then they put the price of healthy options through the roof. It's a crazy situation when a 3ltr bottle of milk, a 1kg pack of cheese, a 1kg tub of margarine and a 1ltr tub of yoghurt costs approximately $25, a goodly part of anyone's grocery money and so far you haven't enough of anything to make a meal with. Add eggs to that list and you might need to go lay down to recover!:mad:

well Aldi and Costco there cheese hasn't gone up so may be people have to shop at other shops now as I dont we have had a lot of floods which make it hard to recover over night but the only one that will make the big bucks will be Coles and Woolies on one else I guess Im lucky I cant have dairy so I dont see the price rise but I do in other thing and next year when the floods and farmers are back on track I bet the price wont come back down

We like to be as prepared as possible when we do our grocery shopping, to avoid any surprises.

Unfortunately, it seems that one of Woolies’ most popular dairy products has undergone a price hike recently.

One Woolworths customer spotted an additional price increase on Devondale’s Dairy Soft Butter and took to Facebook to express her disbelief.

According to the Facebook post, the price of 500g tubs of Devondale Soft Butter was now at $7.50. The product retailed for around $5.70 a couple of months ago, meaning the price has risen around 31.5 per cent recently.

View attachment 8606
The upset Woolworths shopper attached this image to their Facebook post. Credit: 7News

‘It’s out of control, I could not believe my eyes on the prices,’ she later added.

Other social media users also expressed their concern over the sudden price hike.

As of writing, Devondale has yet to comment on the price increase for their product.

This price increase comes days after a Coles shopper noted that a 36-slice pack of CHEER Cheese also saw a price rise. The product – which previously sold for only $10 last year – is now sold at $17.55 at Coles! That’s a whopping 75 per cent increase.

The brand is owned by the same company as Devondale, and CHEER Tasty Cheese also hasn’t issued a response yet.

View attachment 8607
The Coles shopper attached this picture that shows the hefty price increase on CHEER Cheese. Credit: 7News

‘Between the cost of petrol and interest rates, I can barely afford home-brand cheese!’ Said one considerably upset customer.

Another added: ‘CHEER is the new Brie or Camembert. Save it for those special occasions.’

It seems like the steady rise in dairy prices is still affecting supermarkets all over the country. In a previous article we’ve written, a spokesperson from Woolworths stated that farmers were facing supply chain issues that justify the increase in prices.

‘Fertiliser costs have gone through the roof, we’ve got significant costs around energy, grain that we feed to our cows,’ said Mark Billing, who is the VP of The United Dairy Farmers of Victoria. You can read more about this story here.

The demand for milk has gone up, but market analysts from Rabobank said that milk production in Australia has declined. Although experts believe the milk production growth should return in early 2023.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has shared her anger after noticing a price hike on Devondale Dairy Soft Butter.
  • The price of Devondale’s Soft Butter has increased by 31.5 per cent – from $5.70 to $7.50.
  • This price hike comes days after news of another price increase on a popular dairy product, CHEER cheese, which saw a 75 per cent increase (from $10 in 2021 to $17.55 this month).
  • The demand for milk has gone up, meanwhile, milk production in the country has declined.
Looks like there’s still going to be an uptick in grocery costs, folks. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below.
I wrote *replied "months ago to a Seniors Discount Club Members Email, letter, that Coles had increased the price on Coles Olive oil spread went from $2.00 to $3.80 per 500 gram container. As far as I know, no one even commented on this blatant rip off by Coles. They must think that we are all stupid as they keep on doing this to us with a lot of their products being increased with no reason given. This price increase happened before the latest cost increases on everything, and if you work the increase out it is nearly a 100% increase in less then 2 years. Maybe some one from the Seniors Discount Club to check out, as this is a blatant rip off.

well Aldi and Costco there cheese hasn't gone up so may be people have to shop at other shops now as I dont we have had a lot of floods which make it hard to recover over night but the only one that will make the big bucks will be Coles and Woolies on one else I guess Im lucky I cant have dairy so I dont see the price rise but I do in other thing and next year when the floods and farmers are back on track I bet the price wont come back down
I doubt the farmers are seeing much extra (if anything) out of these price hikes anyway.

View attachment 8606

View attachment 8607

Key Takeaways

I refuse to purchase Cheer Cheese since the stupid name change.
I go to Aldi and purchase their block cheese, which is much cheaper.

Costco would be great if we had it in regional areas. However the 3-4 hours drive to get to one, with the price of fuel there goes the savings. And with Aldi being regional we don’t get as much stock as the city stores and it flies off the shelves quicker than the poor staff can restock it

Reactions: Ricci