‘Is it an acquired taste?’: Chef's bizarre hot cross buns trick sparks divided reactions

As the Easter season hops into full swing, Australians are once again embracing the time-honoured tradition of indulging in hot cross buns.

These spiced, sweet buns, typically studded with fruit and marked with a cross on top, are a holiday staple.

But as with many classic treats, there's always someone ready to put a new spin on tradition, and this year, a certain chef's unusual take on hot cross buns has the nation talking

Self-proclaimed frugal food reviewer and chef Steph has stirred up quite the conversation on social media with her latest creation that some might call an 'acquired taste’.

In her viral video online, Steph took viewers on a journey that begins with a simple trip to ALDI and ends with a hot cross bun concoction that's anything but ordinary.

photo.jpg
Food reviewer Steph shared her unconventional recipe for hot cross buns. Credit: @stephcooksstuff / TikTok

The recipe starts innocently enough, with Steph selecting traditional hot cross buns, but it's the additional ingredients that raise eyebrows: triple cream brie, quince paste, and maple bacon.

The method? After slicing the buns, she slathers one side with the sweet, tangy quince paste, then piles on thick wedges of rich brie.

The pièce de résistance is the maple bacon, which she wrapped around the stuffed buns in a criss-cross pattern, securing it all with a toothpick if needed.

Steph suggested air frying them ‘at 180°C for eight to ten minutes’ until they're crispy.

No air fryer? No problem. An oven will do the trick just as well.

The result is a sweet and savoury Easter snack that has left social media users divided.

Some are intrigued, their taste buds tantalised by the thought of such a bold flavour combination.

‘I want to try it and don't want to try it at the same time,’ one said.

My cholesterol markers increased just by watching that! Would 100 per cent try it, though!’

‘I don't know…but I'm a gonna trust the process,’ a third added.

‘Is it an acquired taste, because until I try it, and my opinion only, it might not be something for me, but who knows, right, but it looks delicious,’ a fourth said.

If you want to try this Easter snack, the ingredients are as follows:
You can also watch Steph’s video below:

Credit: @stephcooksstuff / TikTok

The much-loved hot cross buns are decking the aisles of supermarkets as Easter gets closer.

But not all is sweet in the land of festive treats, as one shopper was dismayed over the hot cross buns at her nearest Woolworths.

What did she find out about these hot cross buns? Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • A frugal food reviewer has gone viral on social media with a controversial hot cross buns recipe involving unusual fillings.
  • The recipe included hot cross buns, triple cream brie, quince paste, and maple bacon, resulting in a unique Easter snack.
  • Social media users were divided, with some eager to try the recipe and others hesitant due to its unorthodox combination.
  • Steph listed all the ingredients for the recipe and suggested using an air fryer or oven to cook the bacon-wrapped hot cross buns.
Would you try this unconventional recipe? Have you ever experimented with a classic dish and found a new favourite, or do you prefer to stick to the tried and true? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Skip the quince paste and use normal cheese along with bacon, been there done that.