‘I wish you weren’t a c***’: Did this Aussie comedian really ban some seniors from his shows?

Laughter is often said to be the best medicine, and a night out at a comedy show can be just the ticket to lift the spirits.

However, for one Australian comedian, a recent show turned into a battleground of wits when an elderly heckler decided to take on the role of a critic rather than a spectator.

Blake Pavey, a comedian who has found fame online, has made an unusual move at his stand-up shows: anyone over 85 is barred.

This decision came after a gig where he and his opening performer, Aleks Milinkovic, were relentlessly heckled by an older man in the audience, leading to verbal tussles that have since gone viral on social media.

In a video posted online, Pavey began: ‘Do you ever wonder what happens when an American b****r over the age of 85 comes to one of my shows and relentlessly heckles the opener?’

The clip then shows the heckler, allegedly from the US, hurling less-than-flattering comments at Milinkovic.

compressed-Screenshot_6.jpeg
Audience members at one of comedian Blake Pavey's shows were in for quite a show. Image Credit: TikTok/@blakepavey

‘I have no money,’ Milinkovic could be heard saying, followed by a quick 'I wish you had some talent, too,' from the senior.

Some people from the audience were shocked, with the reactions being a mix of oohs and boos.

The comedian immediately shot back: ‘Honestly, COVID should’ve taken more [people].’

Later, the clip switches to Pavey seemingly reacting to the heckler’s presence.

‘How does the oldest c*** here have the lowest IQ in the room? That is so… rude, man,’ he says, much to the delight of the audience, who perhaps weren’t enjoying the added commentary from their side.

‘I’m still waiting to laugh!’ the heckler said, undeterred.

But not one to let the opportunity slide, Pavey let another zinger loose.

‘Ah, an American being an entitled c***, what a shocker.’

The older man eventually left the venue, but not quietly.

As he exited the stage in full view of Pavey and the audience, he said aloud: ‘I wish you were funny, mate.’

‘I wish you weren’t a c***, but we can’t have that, can we? F****n’ hell,’ the comedian replied, again followed by cheers from the audience.

The elderly American, with nothing to say back, just gave a vulgar gesture as he exited.

According to Pavey’s post, the man interrupted the show nine times.

The aftermath of this onstage showdown has been support, surprise, and everything in between.

Pavey's online followers rallied behind him and Milinkovic with comments praising their handling of the situation.

One person wrote, 'I will never understand why people think it's a good idea to pick a verbal fight with people who are professionally funny and witty.'

Others admired Pavey's composure and quick wit during the uncomfortable encounter.

More than a few embarrassed Americans also apologised for the man’s behaviour, with one saying, ‘I’m so sorry… You did handle that beautifully!’

Source: TikTok/@blakepavey

However, not everyone was fully appreciative of what transpired.

‘He’s not wrong,’ one user replied, agreeing with the elderly man that the two comedians weren’t funny.

‘Not sure who was ruder,’ another pointed out.

Others also felt like focussing on the man’s age shouldn’t have been the point.

‘Nothing to do with his age, his personality was the problem!’ a user stressed.

Another added, ‘Bit of casual ageism,’ referencing how Pavey and Milinkovic poked fun at the elderly man, including calling him a ‘dementia patient’ and laughing when he seemingly took a hearing aid off.

It’s worth noting that it remains to be seen if Pavey was serious about placing an age cap. After all, given his profession, tongue-in-cheek remarks aren’t exactly unheard of.

It's also important to underscore that comedy is a space where freedom of expression is cherished. Comedians often push boundaries to elicit laughter and provoke thought.

Yet, there's a delicate balance between edgy humour and respect for all audience members, regardless of age.
Key Takeaways

• Australian comedian Blake Pavey has imposed an age restriction of 85 for attendants at his stand-up shows following an incident in which an older man heckled him and his opening act, Aleks Milinkovic.
  • The altercation was captured on video and shared online. The video shows the comedians being insulted and responding to the heckles, eventually leading the man to leave while gesturing rudely.
  • Pavey and Milinkovic received support from many who praised their handling of the situation and expressed disbelief that someone would try to spar with professional comedians verbally.
  • Following the incident, Pavey announced the new age limit for his shows in the caption of his online post.
  • It remains to be seen if he will follow through on this age cap.
So, let's open up the floor: What do you think about setting age limits at comedy shows? Is it a reasonable response to ensure a disruption-free performance, or does it unfairly discriminate against our more seasoned comedy lovers? Have you ever experienced something similar at a live event? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below—we'd love to hear your take on this comedic controversy!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NotNats and BJM
Sponsored
Based on the tiktok link in the story, and the crudeness of the responses to the heckling, the audience aren't the brightest... which probably matches what they consider funny.

Even the oldest 'Boomer' in the world won't be 85 until 2030.

Comedians have always been subject to heckling, the good ones responses are clever and amusing without the need for verbal abuse.

Only a really poor comedian resorts to foul language towards a paying customer and only an immature audience applauds it.

As for the ban, he's doing people over 85 a favour by not exposing then to his idea of comedy.

Surely the venues wouldn’t agree to an upper age limit? The guy should hopefully have had an inkling about how funny (or not) the comedians were. Everyone has different tastes and are entitled to them. We don’t need to vocalize so publicly. I really think the comedian/s would have been far better off just ignoring him.
I’m a primary school teacher, one of the things we teach is ‘we’re not wired to like everyone, but we don’t have to let that person know we don’t like them.’ Just avoid without being rude.

A lot of comedy regardless of era/generation is not funny. It is often vulgar and quite defaming. Putting people down is never ok. This happens with talk show hosts as well when they have nil or little knowledge about something and laugh. Plain ignorance.
As for this comedian his outbursts and vulgar language is no better than the man's and he was heckling the older man as well. Pot calling kettle black!

Comedian or not, older or not, there is too much abuse and crude language being used by all these days. The teens, twenties, thirties have the "F" word coming out of their mouths in almost every sentence. I know of one 28 year old (unfortunately, a nephew) who cannot say a sentence without using it. He now has a daughter just over 2 years of age and I'd be very, very surprised if the first sentence she uttered did not contain that one word. Hearing her father use it in general speech will surely follow in the way she talks without her knowing the meaning.

On this site also, there are so many who seem to think using abusive and foul language is OK. We do not need to construct a sentence, in writing, with these words. If people wish to use them in their everyday life then so be it, but not here, please. Surely we can converse without crude language.

Comedian or not, older or not, there is too much abuse and crude language being used by all these days. The teens, twenties, thirties have the "F" word coming out of their mouths in almost every sentence. I know of one 28 year old (unfortunately, a nephew) who cannot say a sentence without using it. He now has a daughter just over 2 years of age and I'd be very, very surprised if the first sentence she uttered did not contain that one word. Hearing her father use it in general speech will surely follow in the way she talks without her knowing the meaning.

On this site also, there are so many who seem to think using abusive and foul language is OK. We do not need to construct a sentence, in writing, with these words. If people wish to use them in their everyday life then so be it, but not here, please. Surely we can converse without crude language.
I have to agree. Personally,I love a good swear word,used appropriately but just for shock value?. No thanks! And some words don’t ever need to be used. Not ever. I find the C word really offensive. It’s just not necessary and makes the user just stupid,I think. There are plenty of other words they can use to describe women’s “bits” without resorting to that one! Was watching the comedy festival on the ABC the other night and,truly,I’m no prude,but….WOW,some of the women were just phewwww…..well,they didn’t leave much to the imagination!

Reactions: NotNats
The lack of vocabulary in the younger generation should tell us that we have failed to instil respect and understanding. I will never pay to sit and listen to someone uttering obscenity. Why are they called comics when they are actually belittling either themselves, their spouse or community in general

They should have asked him to leave lt's not fair to ban all for the sake of one.As for the filthy language only people with no respect for themselves speak like that.Never heard that kind of language from my grandfather or any of my family they would have been disgusted.

Regardless of age if someone doesn't like the show just leave instead of making an idiot of yourself. On the other hand the language of the comedian is not called for. Comedians that resort to verbal diarrhoea is attention seeking because they really aren't that funny.