‘He ruined our lives’: Grandmother loses $320,000 over grandson’s alleged fraud scheme

In a tale that reads like a cautionary fable, a grandmother's trust in family ties has been shattered, leaving her grappling with a staggering $320,000 loss.

Lyn Newby's story is a stark reminder that even those closest to us can be capable of deceit, and it raises the alarm for all seniors to be vigilant against fraud, especially within their own families.

Lyn Newby's grandson, Jack Endersby, 24, was accused of orchestrating a Ponzi scheme that has allegedly swindled approximately $2 million from unsuspecting victims across Australia.

The scheme, which ran from February 2021 to February 2024, promised returns through Endersby's trading business, Codex Investments.

However, the promised profits were nothing more than a deceit.

shutterstock_2255998657.jpg
Lyn Newby’s grandson, Jack Endersby, allegedly defrauded her of $320,000. Credit: Shutterstock

She invested $320,000 in 2021, lured by the promise of a 3 per cent monthly return from her grandson's venture.

Initially, the returns materialised, but by mid-2023, the payments ceased without warning, leaving her in financial and emotional turmoil.

'He has ruined our lives. How could he do it to me–I'm his grandmother,' Newby lamented.

The family's distress was evident in the Perth Magistrates Court, where Endersby faced 11 charges of fraud.

Despite the presence of his mother and grandmother, Endersby avoided any interaction with his family.

'He will feel terrible when he sees me, and I want him to look me in the eye and know how much he's hurt me,' Newby expressed before the court date.

The police claimed that Endersby, previously employed as a telesales consultant and labourer, proudly presented a portfolio worth $2.2 million in 2020.

Endersby's lifestyle, which included a luxury apartment on Perth's waterfront, exotic holidays overseas, and a Maserati, was allegedly funded not by shrewd investments but by the classic Ponzi scheme playbook—using new investors' money to pay off earlier ones.

Newby texted Endersby after hearing about the alleged fraud, saying, ‘Is it true? Is there any way you can salvage my money?'

He allegedly replied, 'No, it's not true, I have it sorted for you. See you Tuesday.'

They never met up.

Michael Dawson, one of Endersby’s alleged victims, went to his court appearance.

Dawson claimed he first invested in Endersby’s business 18 months ago.

‘I did get some money back initially, but I really started getting worried about a year ago when I stopped hearing from him, stopped getting any money that I requested,’ he said.

Another of Endersby’s former clients alleged that he had invested $50,000 and that Endersby had ‘built trust’ with investors by including them in a friend referral scheme.

'If you successfully referred a friend, you would get 10 per cent of whatever they invested with him,' he said.

'So most of us thought, "Okay, so-and-so has already invested with him and seems happy, I'm going to give it a go.”’

With Endersby's next court appearance scheduled for April 19, she, along with other alleged victims, awaits justice.

You can watch 9 News Perth’s coverage below:

Credit: 9 News Perth / Facebook

In a similar story, a report has revealed that the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has been allegedly victimised by fraudulent claims and infiltrated by a devious disability provided.

The provider was apprehended for allegedly amassing $1 million through fraudulent NDIS billings in a month. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Jack Endersby is accused of orchestrating a Ponzi scheme, allegedly defrauding investors, including his grandmother, for about $2 million.
  • Lyn Newby, Endersby's grandmother, claims to have lost $320,000 after investing in what she believed was her grandson's trading business, Codex Investments.
  • Endersby led a lavish lifestyle, claiming to be a successful investor, while police allege his wealth was acquired through fraudulent means.
  • Endersby has been arrested and faces 11 charges of fraud, with multiple alleged victims attending his court hearing to seek justice.
Members, have you ever encountered a similar situation? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
My heart aches for this lady, I understand her so well. Back more than 15 years ago my eldest son, a Lt Colonel in the Australian Army Medical Corp owned a home in Bundaberg which was rented out to a housing group. I was advised they couldn't rent it any more until renovations for mould and mildew were undertaken. He and his wife couldn't afford the repairs at that time so, muggins me rented it from them. I paid rent and repairs for over 16 years, took in boarders to make ends meet and all went well. Son and daughter in law even gave me a letter of permission to do whatever was necessary to care for the house. I turned the dustbowl yard into gardens with fruit, veg and flowers. To achieve what I wanted to I walked junk mail 7 days a week which resulted in my spine now being in bits. I finally got a court payout after the last boarder tried to kill me and I shut the door. Son called in for a visit mid November of that year and told me how thrilled he was with what I'd done. I'd actually had the house painted inside except for the bathroom and laundry. I also intended puting in a new stove. Well 2 weeks before Christmas I got a phone call from son telling me he had sent $100 "for something nice for Christmas" and that I had "2 weeks to get out" He had actually demanded extra rent which was an illegal amount at that time. The following March 27th I was taken to court by son and EVICTED. He organised for removalists to put my belongings into storage and a solicitor's letter advised me that if my stuff was not removed withing 2 weeks "everything would be sold by public auction. I was removed from the house by 2 policemen and son's solicitor and became homeless for 7 weeks .I might add I was almost 70 years old.. Sadly I have not seen my children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren for well over 15 years. but I live with a breathing problem called Pseudamonas which was caused by mould, mildew, asbestos (ceiling) and fibro (walls). I'm sure my grandchildren have no idea what Kerry and Vicky did to me all those years ago.

The biggest swindle is yet to come from the Justice System which is usually skewed to the perpetrators.
you are so right Sir. No-one would help me and to make it worse the man on the bench was only a JP who promptly told me "it's his house, he can do whatever he likes" and refused to even look ate the photos and other proof I had with me. Son had nothing. By the way , I was the first JP In The Community in this town.

My heart aches for this lady, I understand her so well. Back more than 15 years ago my eldest son, a Lt Colonel in the Australian Army Medical Corp owned a home in Bundaberg which was rented out to a housing group. I was advised they couldn't rent it any more until renovations for mould and mildew were undertaken. He and his wife couldn't afford the repairs at that time so, muggins me rented it from them. I paid rent and repairs for over 16 years, took in boarders to make ends meet and all went well. Son and daughter in law even gave me a letter of permission to do whatever was necessary to care for the house. I turned the dustbowl yard into gardens with fruit, veg and flowers. To achieve what I wanted to I walked junk mail 7 days a week which resulted in my spine now being in bits. I finally got a court payout after the last boarder tried to kill me and I shut the door. Son called in for a visit mid November of that year and told me how thrilled he was with what I'd done. I'd actually had the house painted inside except for the bathroom and laundry. I also intended puting in a new stove. Well 2 weeks before Christmas I got a phone call from son telling me he had sent $100 "for something nice for Christmas" and that I had "2 weeks to get out" He had actually demanded extra rent which was an illegal amount at that time. The following March 27th I was taken to court by son and EVICTED. He organised for removalists to put my belongings into storage and a solicitor's letter advised me that if my stuff was not removed withing 2 weeks "everything would be sold by public auction. I was removed from the house by 2 policemen and son's solicitor and became homeless for 7 weeks .I might add I was almost 70 years old.. Sadly I have not seen my children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren for well over 15 years. but I live with a breathing problem called Pseudamonas which was caused by mould, mildew, asbestos (ceiling) and fibro (walls). I'm sure my grandchildren have no idea what Kerry and Vicky did to me all those years ago.
OMG! My heart and soul go out to you. I'm so so sorry that this happened to you by your own flesh & blood.

OMG! My heart and soul go out to you. I'm so so sorry that this happened to you by your own flesh & blood.
thank you for caring. I actually forgot to say I'd paid out over $30,000 over the years in repairs NOT INC RENT. My childhood dream of going to Holland went down the drain. Worst of all was losing contact with the young ones.

You can never do business with your family, and if it had been DHA who had the lease agreement with your so called "officer" son it would have been their job to have cleaned up the mess, because they have to hand back the house in perfect condition. Private rentals in Qld are murder on the landlord not the agent. Family will come back and bite you in the bum every time

Reactions: Jersey Girl
You wouldn't believe it but I came to Qld for a job as Housing Advocate. Things were much different in those days but thank heavens they have changed over the years. Unfortunately there are some things that still need fixing like landlord of a friend of mine who lives in Victoria. This person bought a house in Bundy. My friend has been charged an extra $100 per year rent for the last 3 years that I know of. It seems like interstate owners can get away with many things.

I have no words :( I am so sorry you have to go through this :(

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Oh that’s an awfully sad story, I’m sorry your son was such a ratbag to you. I’m sorry that you had to go through that ordeal because of him, and that he has cut you from his life……Despite your ill health I hope you are living somewhere nice and have some genuine support from people around you. 🥀🌹🌹

• Love
Reactions: Nina_59 and maherdj
Sadly the court revenue moron judge will let this bastard off with a warning. It won't be long before seniors start taking things into their own hands. I think I'll take up baseball, my goal will be hitting 2 balls with one strike.

Sometimes family can be your worst enemy. I know that for a fact & it has cost me a lot of money. As for NDIS i's a fraud paradise.