‘Determined to beat it’: Collingwood president reveals cancer battle

Collingwood President Jeff Browne, a prominent figure in the Australian Football League (AFL), has recently shared a heart-wrenching update on his ongoing battle with cancer.

This news has sent shockwaves through the AFL community and beyond, highlighting the harsh reality of this devastating disease.

The 72-year-old footy boss, who was diagnosed with myeloma last year, has revealed that his condition is currently incurable.

Myeloma, a type of blood cancer that originates from plasma cells in the bone marrow, is a formidable opponent.

1669183704830.jpeg
Collingwood President Jeff Browne revealed he has myeloma. Credit: Jeffrey Browne / LinkedIn

Browne, also the father of renowned footy reporter Tom Browne, has likened his fight against the disease to the struggles his beloved football club faced.

‘It is presently incurable, and that's a shock to anybody,’ Browne said.

'It's like a football club. You know, you finished 17th two years ago, and you [won] the premiership two years later.’

‘If you fight hard, apply yourself, show discipline in your life and determination and believe, then good things happen,’ he added.

Despite the grim prognosis, Browne remained undeterred.

He has already undergone six rounds of chemotherapy cycles, with two more to go. His determination is unwavering, fuelled by his love for Collingwood.

'I'm determined to beat it...and I've got too much to do in my life,' he said.

'If I hit the wall, I'll hit it hard, and they'll have to scrape me off.'

Former AFL commentator Sandy Roberts also faced the same struggle as Browne as he revealed his battle with myeloma last year.

Roberts discovered he had myeloma in May 2022 after a fall at his home. He said that if he hadn’t fallen, ‘who knows what would have been the outcome’.

Browne's battle against cancer has brought to light a significant issue in the Australian healthcare system.

He has expressed frustration with the federal government's decision to defer public funding for CAR-T cell therapy or Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell therapy, a treatment hailed as 'the future' of cancer treatment for myeloma patients.

It is a type of immunotherapy that uses specially altered T cells–a part of the immune system–to fight cancer.

The Medical Services Advisory Committee's decision angered hundreds of terminally ill patients like Browne.

'A delay of any number of years in making a decision to support this will mean thousands of Australians will die unnecessarily,' Browne said.

'I can't understand a reason for delaying a decision when the consequences are so dire if you don't do it.'
Key Takeaways
  • Collingwood President Jeff Browne has revealed that his cancer diagnosis is incurable and has expressed shock at the news.
  • Browne has criticised the Federal Government for not funding CAR-T cell therapy, which he believed could potentially save lives, including his own.
  • He has undergone several chemotherapy cycles and is using his role at Collingwood and motivation to fight the disease.
  • The decision to defer funding for the treatment has angered Browne and other terminally ill patients, leading to calls for quicker action.
Have you or a loved one been affected by myeloma or another type of cancer? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Members, we acknowledge that dealing with a disease like cancer isn’t easy. For those in need of support, please consider reaching out to services like Cancer Council at 13 11 20 or visit their website here.

Sponsored
I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2015. Given 3 years to live was a kick in the guts. But I am one of the lucky ones as the Myeloma stabilized after 12 months and has remained so. I have yearly reviews to check for any flare up.
When diagnosed there were only two treatments (neither of them effective) but as of last year there were at least 7 treatments to extend your life. I hope and pray that I can remain stable until a cure is available.

I've been diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer and am supposed to start immunology treatment 6 weeks ago but there is delay after delay so I started to look at alternative means as each day my cancer is growing.
After a lot of research and the help of a friend I discovered this book called The One-minute cure by Madison Cavanaugh. The book is not sold in Australia so I borrowed a copy from my friend while I am waiting for my own copy from the US.
After reading this and more research I've decided to take my own steps towards a cure along with immunology, if that ever happens.
From what I've read the cure could be as simple as Oxygen Therapy. There are three types. The one I am going to take is Hydrogen Peroxide treatment which can be self administered and has no adverse effect on your body providing you adhere strictly to the regime set out.
I am willing to take the risk as over the medium term I have nothing to lose.
The reason that not many people have heard about it is because it costs less that 50 cents per day. It is suppressed by Big Pharma because it cannot be patented and it cures people so there is no money to be made by Big Pharma. They don't want people to be cured because they lose a cash cow. For your own sake look into this as it can cure a large number of diseases apart from cancer.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2015. Given 3 years to live was a kick in the guts. But I am one of the lucky ones as the Myeloma stabilized after 12 months and has remained so. I have yearly reviews to check for any flare up.
When diagnosed there were only two treatments (neither of them effective) but as of last year there were at least 7 treatments to extend your life. I hope and pray that I can remain stable until a cure is available.
A cure could be available right now but there is no money to be made by Big Pharma. Read my post about a book called The One-Minute Cure.

Why is the government not releasing this , when it could be a cure.

Is it the cost ??? Then stop sending money overseas.

The only reason they should block it is if it hasn't been fully approved by the TGA
My thoughts and prayers 🙏 are with Jeff Browne and his family
The TGA also said that the Covid "vaccine" was safe and effective. Yes, effective at killing people by the thousands and inflicting all sorts of chronic health issues on thousands more.. They are all in the pocket of Big Pharma and don't care about people at all!

I've been diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer and am supposed to start immunology treatment 6 weeks ago but there is delay after delay so I started to look at alternative means as each day my cancer is growing.
After a lot of research and the help of a friend I discovered this book called The One-minute cure by Madison Cavanaugh. The book is not sold in Australia so I borrowed a copy from my friend while I am waiting for my own copy from the US.
After reading this and more research I've decided to take my own steps towards a cure along with immunology, if that ever happens.
From what I've read the cure could be as simple as Oxygen Therapy. There are three types. The one I am going to take is Hydrogen Peroxide treatment which can be self administered and has no adverse effect on your body providing you adhere strictly to the regime set out.
I am willing to take the risk as over the medium term I have nothing to lose.
The reason that not many people have heard about it is because it costs less that 50 cents per day. It is suppressed by Big Pharma because it cannot be patented and it cures people so there is no money to be made by Big Pharma. They don't want people to be cured because they lose a cash cow. For your own sake look into this as it can cure a large number of diseases apart from cancer.
Thanks so much for the information JedCorella, will look into it and praying all goes well for you. I prefer alternative medicine myself.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
To Jeff Browne wish you all the very best for the future......lets hope that the Federal Government sees the error of its ways and starts providing the much needed financial support toward the CAR-T cell therapy which may give many thousands of people like yourself who suffer from Myeloma a stronger chance of living. Good luck Jeff, and the others suffering from Myeloma.

The TGA also said that the Covid "vaccine" was safe and effective. Yes, effective at killing people by the thousands and inflicting all sorts of chronic health issues on thousands more.. They are all in the pocket of Big Pharma and don't care about people at all!
That is a big statement. Where is your proof?
If you are in a health fund you can get treatment at a private hospital. I have bladder cancer and I am having chemotherapy at a private hospital. Not my preferred choice but that is where my doctor sent me. I think you should read this https://www.verywellhealth.com/hydrogen-peroxide-therapy-5198732. and
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org › can-a-one-minute-cure-really-heal-virtually-all-diseases
There are many scientific sites debunking the peroxide treatment.
If you have serious disease then doctors can remove the bladder and construct a new one from internal tissue.
Madison Cavanaugh does not have medical qualifications and is a journalist/ singer songwriter. Why would you trust her to prescribe a treatment that could and has killed?
I wish you well and hope you come through this dreadful disease. I do understand reaching out for 'miracle' cures but I cannot understand why you cannot get your immunology treatment. That is BCG which I have had but more cancer cells appeared after a successful treatment, hence the chemo therapy.