‘Delicious abomination’: Is this servo pie a culinary masterpiece or a total disaster?

When it comes to culinary traditions, Australians and New Zealanders are known for their love of meat pies.

These savoury pastries are a staple in both countries, and any deviation from the traditional fillings can cause quite a stir.

This was the case of New Zealand's Z Energy service stations, as it recently introduced a limited edition Spag Bol and Cheese Classic Pie.

While the concept of a spaghetti bolognese-filled pie isn't entirely new and can be found in select bakeries, its nationwide release in our neighbours across the Tasman has certainly sparked a heated debate among pie enthusiasts.

The question on everyone's lips: is this filling a stroke of genius or a culinary faux pas?

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 12.26.32 PM.png
Z Energy’s limited edition Spag Bol and Cheese Classic Pie has left customers confused and curious. Credit: Z Energy

'That's disgusting...Where do I buy one?' one person humorously commented after an advertisement for the pie circulated online.

'Saw the sign myself, found it weird but was also mildly curious,' another added, while one person dubbed it a 'delicious abomination'.

Some pie lovers drew parallels between the spaghetti bolognese pie and the popular mac and cheese pie, suggesting that the former could enjoy similar success.

Others pointed out that they often enjoyed leftover spaghetti bolognese with toast, so why not in a pie?

Z Energy's Retail General Manager, Andy Baird, acknowledged the divisive nature of the pie but expressed satisfaction with the overall response.

'Z is uniquely Kiwi, and we like to reflect that in what we do. Our mission with the Spag Bol pie was to inspire customers with a classic, nostalgic flavour and put that into pie form,' he said.

'Since it hit the pie warmer, feedback from our site staff and customers has been overwhelmingly positive. So while the limited edition pie is not for everyone, it’s certainly got some fans. Who knows what we will come up with next.'

This isn't the first time a food product has divided consumers.

Just last week, Coles shoppers were split over the supermarket's decision to release hot cross buns with Pizza Shapes flavouring.

The news was first leaked by a food enthusiast known as Nectorious Papi, who shared the intriguing tidbit with his followers.

'Anything is going to beat the special burger sauce ones. I love Pizza Shapes, so this could be good,' he said.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways

• Z Energy, a Kiwi servo, released a limited edition Spag Bol and Cheese Classic pie, sparking debate among pie lovers.
  • While some customers found the idea 'disgusting,' others were intrigued, and one dubbed it a 'delicious abomination.'
  • Z's Retail General Manager defended the product, saying it aimed to inspire with a classic flavour and has received overall positive feedback.
  • Coles also stirred conversation with the news of a forthcoming hot cross bun product flavoured with Pizza Shapes, highlighting Australians' passion for unique food combinations.
Would you give this a try, or do you prefer to stick with the classics? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
When it comes to culinary traditions, Australians and New Zealanders are known for their love of meat pies.

These savoury pastries are a staple in both countries, and any deviation from the traditional fillings can cause quite a stir.

This was the case of New Zealand's Z Energy service stations, as it recently introduced a limited edition Spag Bol and Cheese Classic Pie.

While the concept of a spaghetti bolognese-filled pie isn't entirely new and can be found in select bakeries, its nationwide release in our neighbours across the Tasman has certainly sparked a heated debate among pie enthusiasts.

The question on everyone's lips: is this filling a stroke of genius or a culinary faux pas?

View attachment 39948
Z Energy’s limited edition Spag Bol and Cheese Classic Pie has left customers confused and curious. Credit: Z Energy

'That's disgusting...Where do I buy one?' one person humorously commented after an advertisement for the pie circulated online.

'Saw the sign myself, found it weird but was also mildly curious,' another added, while one person dubbed it a 'delicious abomination'.

Some pie lovers drew parallels between the spaghetti bolognese pie and the popular mac and cheese pie, suggesting that the former could enjoy similar success.

Others pointed out that they often enjoyed leftover spaghetti bolognese with toast, so why not in a pie?

Z Energy's Retail General Manager, Andy Baird, acknowledged the divisive nature of the pie but expressed satisfaction with the overall response.

'Z is uniquely Kiwi, and we like to reflect that in what we do. Our mission with the Spag Bol pie was to inspire customers with a classic, nostalgic flavour and put that into pie form,' he said.

'Since it hit the pie warmer, feedback from our site staff and customers has been overwhelmingly positive. So while the limited edition pie is not for everyone, it’s certainly got some fans. Who knows what we will come up with next.'

This isn't the first time a food product has divided consumers.

Just last week, Coles shoppers were split over the supermarket's decision to release hot cross buns with Pizza Shapes flavouring.

The news was first leaked by a food enthusiast known as Nectorious Papi, who shared the intriguing tidbit with his followers.

'Anything is going to beat the special burger sauce ones. I love Pizza Shapes, so this could be good,' he said.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways

• Z Energy, a Kiwi servo, released a limited edition Spag Bol and Cheese Classic pie, sparking debate among pie lovers.
  • While some customers found the idea 'disgusting,' others were intrigued, and one dubbed it a 'delicious abomination.'
  • Z's Retail General Manager defended the product, saying it aimed to inspire with a classic flavour and has received overall positive feedback.
  • Coles also stirred conversation with the news of a forthcoming hot cross bun product flavoured with Pizza Shapes, highlighting Australians' passion for unique food combinations.
Would you give this a try, or do you prefer to stick with the classics? Let us know in the comments below!
I’d love it as I put my leftover spaghetti bog in toasty toasters so why not a pie.yum.😍

Meh.
Kids' stuff.
I still long for the Spagchooki we used to get from the Charcoal Chicken shop in Wynnum Central 40 years ago; now THAT was a feast! Half a barbecued chook in one of those ecologically unsound styrofoam clam-shell containers. sitting on and smothered by heavy-duty spaghetti noodles loaded with a really rich Bolognese sauce. I could feed two adults quite well off one serve!

We have had a pie maker for years and all our leftovers go into making pies. You’d be astonished at what we turn into pies and they are surprisingly yummy. Spag bol,chow mein, mazetti, shepherds pie all munched up bubble and squeak. Delicious!

I love it! I put left over spag bog into home made pies and they are delicious. Another one that people probably would argue over is spag bog pizza. Way back in the 90's there was a pizzeria in St Kilda in Melbourne that did spaghetti pizzas and they were delicious!

I love it! I put left over spag bog into home made pies and they are delicious. Another one that people probably would argue over is spag bog pizza. Way back in the 90's there was a pizzeria in St Kilda in Melbourne that did spaghetti pizzas and they were delicious!
There used to be a pizza shop in Chelsea that did that years ago they were also yummy😊