SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
"Your package is about to be delivered, track here *insert scam website* *insert random letters*

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new scam out (that I've now received twice!) that pretends to be a Courier / Australia Post telling you that you have a parcel that is about to be delivered. If you shop online often, it's really easy to fall for. The below screenshot tends to be what it looks like.

Please make sure whenever you receive a message like this you look at the URL and the random letters. If they do not ring a bell, DO NOT click the website. The website is the scam.

Let us know if you have any questions!

If you're ever unsure if something is a scam or not we recommend sending an image to a family or friend and asking their opinion. Please also feel free to upload an image of the scam here on the forum and Jonathan and I will do our best to help.

Thanks so much!
Maddie.

Attachments

• Scam Message.jpg
    Scam Message.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 12
Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new scam out (that I've now received twice!) that pretends to be a Courier / Australia Post telling you that you have a parcel that is about to be delivered. If you shop online often, it's really easy to fall for. The below screenshot tends to be what it looks like.

Please make sure whenever you receive a message like this you look at the URL and the random letters. If they do not ring a bell, DO NOT click the website. The website is the scam.

If you're ever unsure if something is a scam or not we recommend sending an image to a family or friend and asking their opinion. Please also feel free to upload an image of the scam here on the forum and Jonathan and I will do our best to help.

Thanks so much!
Maddie.
I have just received that message, I have blocked the number several times but, I still get it almost daily. They just send it from a different number.

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
I've had the scam happen a couple of times to me. Once I knew I had no packages coming and the second time I realised I had already received notice from one delivery team they were bringing my parcel, and the scam message was a different one altogether. I just delete anything I feel unsure about.

Hi all,

Thanks so much!
Maddie.
Next time you get a call supposedly from Telstra, NBN wi-fi, Microsoft, etc about your faulty internet; use
the “Hermann Gruntfuttock” defence;

“What?” I hear you say.

One day the phone rang; silence.

When the silence goes on for quite a while you know it’s an Indian call centre’s autodial system which
automatically dials phone numbers in sequence until it detects a human voice, then it transfers the call
to the team of scammers.

Sure enough a very Indian voice asking me how am I, to which I replied by asking why are you calling me.

“I’m from Telstra” she said, “We have detected a fault in your internet, so are ready now to fix it for you”
to which I replied, “Are you looking at my account at the moment?”

“Yes“ was the reply, following which I said “I’ll advise you of my name to make sure it is my account that
you’re looking at”

Then I said “My name is Hermann Gruntfuttock, note that Hermann has two n’s; is that my account you’re
calling about?”

“Yes” was her reply, followed by me saying “Bye bye”

The other day I received yet another call supposedly from Telstra about my internet; so just in case they had
recorded Hermann Gruntfuttock as a dud, I used a different name.

My name is Norbert Goosecreature I said.

Did it work? ……………….Yes!

I’ll now need to come up with a new idiotic alias; anyone got a suggestion?

• Love
I've had the scam happen a couple of times to me. Once I knew I had no packages coming and the second time I realised I had already received notice from one delivery team they were bringing my parcel, and the scam message was a different one altogether. I just delete anything I feel unsure about.
Those responses are brilliant. When there's a long delay I usually hang up before a person actually speaks to me and I must say when they do actually get to talk to me I am very abrupt, 'what do you want', 'do you really expect me to believe that' 'you do realise I don't have a computer', or I swear at them, very badly too and hang up. Lately, I have capitulated and just hang up, they're wearing me down. NOT.

• Haha
I have just received that message, I have blocked the number several times but, I still get it almost daily. They just send it from a different number.
Hi @Marie Ann, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but a friend of mine was telling me not to block the number, because then it let's the scammers know that your phone number is a legitimate number and they will continue to spam you with different messages. I didn't block the scam I received and only got 2 tests and haven't heard from them since! So I'm not sure if this is a good method or not. Honestly, who knows with these scammers!

I think this is an awesome approach @Bev. My partner told me to keep a message that is from a real courier so if I am ever unsure if the text is a scam or not I can always compare it to the real courier text message!

Those responses are brilliant. When there's a long delay I usually hang up before a person actually speaks to me and I must say when they do actually get to talk to me I am very abrupt, 'what do you want', 'do you really expect me to believe that' 'you do realise I don't have a computer', or I swear at them, very badly too and hang up. Lately, I have capitulated and just hang up, they're wearing me down. NOT.
@Bev haha! You get them, I love to hear this! I go off as well!

Next time you get a call supposedly from Telstra, NBN wi-fi, Microsoft, etc about your faulty internet; use
the “Hermann Gruntfuttock” defence;

“What?” I hear you say.

One day the phone rang; silence.

When the silence goes on for quite a while you know it’s an Indian call centre’s autodial system which
automatically dials phone numbers in sequence until it detects a human voice, then it transfers the call
to the team of scammers.

Sure enough a very Indian voice asking me how am I, to which I replied by asking why are you calling me.

“I’m from Telstra” she said, “We have detected a fault in your internet, so are ready now to fix it for you”
to which I replied, “Are you looking at my account at the moment?”

“Yes“ was the reply, following which I said “I’ll advise you of my name to make sure it is my account that
you’re looking at”

Then I said “My name is Hermann Gruntfuttock, note that Hermann has two n’s; is that my account you’re
calling about?”

“Yes” was her reply, followed by me saying “Bye bye”

The other day I received yet another call supposedly from Telstra about my internet; so just in case they had
recorded Hermann Gruntfuttock as a dud, I used a different name.

My name is Norbert Goosecreature I said.

Did it work? ……………….Yes!

I’ll now need to come up with a new idiotic alias; anyone got a suggestion?
@Dougal this is FANTASTIC! I love how creative you are :ROFLMAO: