TV icon Nick Beaney passes away weeks after surviving a horrific plane crash

In a heart-wrenching turn of events, the television industry lost one of its stalwarts, Nick Beaney, who passed away on December 28. This news comes just six weeks after a harrowing plane crash in Port Phillip Bay that claimed the lives of two of his colleagues.

The incident, which has sent shockwaves through the community, is believed to have played a significant role in the untimely death of the 61-year-old veteran cameraman.

Nick Beaney, a seasoned cameraman with a career spanning several decades, was involved in the tragic incident on November 19.

He had been filming inside the cockpit of the Viper S-211 Marchetti jet earlier that day before disembarking to allow his colleague, James Rose, to take over.

415054085_10160390563700735_9129971558954945322_n.jpg
Nick Beaney, a veteran cameraman, passed away last December 28. Source: Nick Beaney/Facebook

The subsequent midair collision over the waters near Melbourne led to the deaths of Rose, aged 30, and pilot Stephen Gale, aged 56, whose bodies were recovered from the wreckage two days later.

Beaney, who witnessed the crash from the ground, suffered an aneurysm and succumbed to his condition weeks after the incident.

His wife, Siobhan Beaney, has expressed her belief that the stress from the crash played a significant role in her husband's untimely death.

‘Nick found it extremely stressful following the crash. It was very hard for him and our close friend,’ she said.

Nick Beaney's connection to the television world was both professional and deeply personal.

He had known James Rose since his birth, having been a close friend and colleague of Rose's father, David, in the Seven newsroom for over 40 years.

The responsibility of informing David Rose about his son's death was a burden that Beaney carried after the collision.

‘For him to have to ring me and tell me my son had died would have weighed very heavily with him,’ David Rose stated.

During Beaney's memorial service last week, Siobhan Beaney poignantly reflected on their approaching 30th wedding anniversary, a significant milestone they had planned to celebrate together this month.

The couple met in the 1980s when Nick started his career in the mail room at Seven, where Siobhan worked in the programming department.

Their union brought forth two sons, Angus and Edward, who both cherished their father's presence and influence in their lives.

414750795_10160388361485735_7820703422553545442_n.jpg
Nick with his wife and two sons. Source: Nick Beaney/Facebook

Edward, who followed in his father's footsteps by pursuing a film degree, shared a poignant tribute, stating that he would remember his father 'every time I pick up a camera.'

‘Knowing that dad will never be in his garage trying out his new equipment breaks my heart and makes me wish I spent more time with him in there,’ Edward shared.

Angus, on the other hand, remembered his father as someone who was 'always there,' and he lamented the future moments they would no longer share, such as playing chess and pool, their favourite games.

The police and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) continue investigating the crash. Meanwhile, the pilot of the second plane involved in the collision was unharmed and successfully returned to Essendon Airport.

Key Takeaways
  • Nick Beaney, a veteran cameraman, passed away at the age of 61 from an aneurysm six weeks following a fatal plane crash he worked on.
  • He was involved in filming the Viper S-211 Marchetti jet before the crash in Port Phillip Bay, which later collided midair and resulted in the deaths of his colleague James Rose and pilot Stephen Gale.
  • Mr Beaney had a close personal connection with James Rose, having known him since birth, and he found the news of the crash extremely stressful.
  • Investigations by the police and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) into the tragic incident are ongoing.

The Seniors Discount Club extends its deepest condolences to the Beaney family and all who knew Nick as a friend, colleague, and mentor. His contributions to the media industry will not be forgotten. May he rest in peace.

Sponsored