This ‘typo’ error on popular Mother's Day Gift enrages shoppers: ‘It is lazy’

Mother's Day is a time for appreciation, love, and, of course, a touch of sentimentality.

But imagine the frustration when you find what seems to be the ideal present, only to discover a glaring typo that could spoil the moment.

This is exactly what happened to some shoppers who were left infuriated by a popular Mother's Day gift with a rather 'Americanised' error.

The item in question? The Check Out Candle ($29.99) from Typo, a well-known stationery and gift retailer, which was meant to read 'Greatest Mum' but instead bore the spelling 'Greatest Mom'.

This seemingly small oversight has sparked a debate about the creeping influence of American spellings on Australian English, and it's not sitting well with everyone.

image.jpg
A shopper saw what seemed to be an ‘Americanised’ error on a Mother’s Day gift from Typo. credit: @chairman_maoi / Reddit / Typo

The shopper who spotted the typographical error quickly expressed their dismay on social media, stating, ‘I’m 90 per cent sure these candles say “Mom” not “Mum”.’

‘I’m not going to be all “old man yells at clouds” about the supposed “Americanisation” of our language since we’ve been borrowing terms off Americans for hundreds of years.’

‘But I draw the line at some s****y candle that says “Mom”,’ they added.

It appears from the Typo website that this product is the only ‘Americanised’ product available on its shelves.

The debate on social media even delved into the candle's design, with some suggesting that the font was intentionally ambiguous.

‘I am 50 per cent sure there is that intentional gap on the top of the “O” so that they can sell it worldwide and pass it off as either Mom or Mum, wherever it is,’ one argued.

‘I think it's meant to be Mum, but the s****y cursive has made it in a way that it looks like “Mom”,’ agreed said.

‘What makes me say that is because the “O”s have a very small break in them at the top.’

However, this theory didn't sit well with everyone, as it seemed to suggest a one-size-fits-all approach to a holiday that is deeply personal and culturally specific.

‘I hate finding something I think Mum will love only to see they have spelled it incorrectly for the Aussie market,’ another said. ‘It is lazy.’

‘Happy Mother’s Day Moum,’ the shopper who posted joked.

It's not just about a candle, though. This incident has sparked a broader conversation about preserving Australian English despite global influences.

One commenter said, 'I feel like at least half of children are going to grow up believing that 'Mom' is the correct spelling in Australian English.’

‘Also believing in sidewalks, parking lots, windshields and so many more Americanisms.’

Speaking of Mother’s Day mishaps, another supermarket caused an uproar from shoppers.

In a previous story, a Woolworths shopper shared a photo of the Mother’s Day gift selection, which included items that struck a chord with many.

What were these items that outraged shoppers? You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper was frustrated to find a candle with the 'Americanised' spelling of 'Mom' instead of 'Mum' at Typo ahead of Mother’s Day.
  • The mistake was noticed on the Check Out Candle that cost $29.99, leading to a discussion about the 'Americanisation' of Australian English.
  • Some social media users suggested the font was intentionally ambiguous, while others felt it was simply a design error that didn't cater to the Australian market.
  • The issue raised concerns about the increasing influence of American spelling on Australian English, with worries that children might grow up believing 'Mom' is the correct spelling in Australia.
Have you encountered similar issues with 'Americanised' spellings on products meant for the Australian market? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and Petra
Sponsored
I am an Australian mUm, I live in Australia, not in America. I prefer to buy Australia made things like candles. Ask yourself if an American mother would like to get a MUM candle, lol

I sure as heck wouldn't EVER be buying anything with that spelling of 'Mom', this is Australia, not America!

Reactions: Phyll
I am an Australian mUm, I live in Australia, not in America. I prefer to buy Australia made things like candles. Ask yourself if an American mother would like to get a MUM candle, lol
I prefer to buy Australian made items, but sadly most everyday items appear to be made in China. I doubt they’d care about Mom or Mum.

It’s not a big deal. If the American version of items are not sold in Australia, then the distributors would get the message, wouldn’t they?