The Spinners' last original member passes away

The music world has lost another of its shining stars with the peaceful passing of Henry Fambrough, the last surviving original member of the legendary R&B group The Spinners.

At the age of 85, Fambrough's voice has fallen silent, but the legacy of his music continues to resonate with fans around the globe.

Henry Fambrough's journey with The Spinners began in the suburbs of Michigan, USA, where the group was originally formed as The Domingoes in 1954.

Alongside his bandmates, Fambrough helped to shape the sound of Motown, a genre that would become a defining element of music history.

GFziRBwXUAAU2z4.jpg
Henry Fambrough passed away at the age of 85. Image source: @cirrkus/X (Twitter)

The Spinners joined Motown Records a decade later, and their first big hit, 'It's A Shame,' climbed the charts in 1970, peaking at No. 14 on Billboard's Hot 100.

The Spinners' success was not confined to their Motown days.

After signing with Atlantic Records, they continued to produce a string of hits, including the number one Billboard Hot 100 chart-topper 'Then Came You,' featuring the incomparable Dionne Warwick, in 1974.

Their music garnered six Grammy Award nominations and resulted in 18 platinum and gold albums, a testament to their enduring appeal and the quality of their artistry.

The group's influence and contribution to music were formally recognised with their induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in November 2023, a ceremony Fambrough had the honour of attending.

This accolade was a crowning achievement for a career that spanned over six decades.

Tributes have been pouring in from fans and fellow musicians alike, many of whom took to social media platforms to express their sorrow and celebrate Fambrough's life.

Fans reminisced about growing up with The Spinners' music, sharing how songs like 'The Rubberband Man' became the soundtrack to their lives.

One fan poignantly wrote, 'Rest in power to the last original member of #TheSpinners Henry Fambrough. Time to break out the #RubberbandMan.'

Another admirer highlighted Fambrough's distinctive voice, saying, 'This man had a voice as smooth as butter when he sang with #TheSpinners. R.I.P. #HenryFambrough one of the last original members of the group.'

The emotional impact of his passing was evident, with another fan sharing, 'Henry Fambrough of The Spinners passing really messed me up. I know he's older and had health challenges. But it still hurts.'

Fambrough's dedication to his craft was evident in the stories he shared about the early days of The Spinners.

During a visit to Motown's Studio A last year, he reminisced about the 1960s and the dreams born within those walls.

He even humorously recalled having to convince his wife that the studio was where he spent his late nights rehearsing and recording.

Beyond the music, Fambrough's personal life was marked by a loving marriage of 52 years to his wife, Norma, and the joy of being a father to his daughter, Heather Williams. His family, friends, and fans will remember him for the music he made and the man he was.

You can watch their 1985 performance of ‘Then Came You’ with Dionne Warwick here:

Source: SoulTwins YouTube Channel/Youtube​

Key Takeaways
  • Henry Fambrough, the last surviving original member of The Spinners, passed away at age 85.
  • The Motown legend's death has prompted tributes from fans sharing memories and listening to the group's music on social media.
  • The Spinners, known for hits like 'It's a Shame,' 'Could It Be I'm Falling in Love,' and 'The Rubberband Man,' were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
  • Henry Fambrough was part of the group's original formation, originally called The Domingoes, which was formed in 1954 and joined Motown Records in 1964.
As we bid farewell to Henry Fambrough, we are reminded of the power of music to connect us across generations and the indelible mark that artists like him leave on our culture.

Rest in peace, Henry Fambrough, and thank you for the music.

• Sad
Reactions: Littleboy8 and Liag
Sponsored
Omg I remember this also great song thanks for putting this up also your a 💎 😊
They did have some great songs. I love how my aunty( 9 years older than me) and my mother (14 years older than me) also loved their music .

People who commented that they have never heard of them I'm sure they would have at least heard one of their songs

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
They did have some great songs. I love how my aunty( 9 years older than me) and my mother (14 years older than me) also loved their music .

People who commented that they have never heard of them I'm sure they would have at least heard one of their songs
The Spinners and others involved with the Motown sound had some unforgettable songs. 🎤🎼🎶🎵

I remembered when I played these I’ll be playing them in my head all day.😊