Terri Irwin reflects on raising Bindi and Robert alone: ‘Best part of my life’

Terri Irwin, the widow of the legendary Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, has opened up about the challenges and triumphs of raising her two children, Bindi and Robert, as a single parent.

Her reflections, shared in a touching Mother's Day post, revealed the depth of her strength and her love for her family.

Terri's journey as a single mother began in 2006 when the world was shocked by the tragic death of Steve Irwin.

He was filming an underwater documentary on The Great Barrier Reef when a stingray's barb fatally pierced his chest.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 12.04.01 PM.png
Terri posted on social media photos of her and her children on Mother’s Day. Credit: @terriirwincrikey / Instagram

In her heartfelt social media post, Terri, now 59, shared a series of cherished photos with Bindi, 25, and Robert, 20, expressing that motherhood has been the 'best part of my life’.

'When Steve passed, it was not a burden being a single mum, it was actually my children that gave me purpose, courage, and happiness every day,’ she wrote.

‘Bindi and Robert are the reason I can stand strong, meet every challenge, and embrace every adventure.’

‘As a mother, I am truly blessed.’

Terri's words resonate with many who have faced the daunting task of single parenthood.

Bindi and Robert, who have grown up in the public eye, have both responded to their mother's post with messages of love and gratitude.

‘I love these beautiful photos and memories. Thank you for ALWAYS being there for me and Robert. And now for Grace. It means more than I can possibly describe. I love you,’ Bindi said.

‘Love you, mum!’ Robert wrote.

In an interview the year after Steve's death, Terri shared her approach to motherhood.

‘I know that without my children in my life, I would be feeling the loss so much more, but because Steve and I had Bindi and Robert, I come home, and I get grabs of joy,’ she said.

‘Being a mother is my greatest gift, my ultimate joy, and it’s really what helps me get through.’

‘I don’t go away anywhere overnight without them. That can be challenging at times, but Steve and I were both like that,’ she continued.

‘And now there’s just me, I don’t want them to miss that connection with a parent.’

The Irwin family has continued to honour Steve's legacy through their ongoing work in animal conservation and at Queensland's Australia Zoo.

Their dedication to wildlife and the environment is a living tribute to Steve's passion, and they've managed to keep his spirit alive through initiatives like the annual Steve Irwin Gala held in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.

This event, which even garnered praise from Prince William when he delivered a pre-recorded message for the family, raises funds and awareness for conservation efforts that were dear to Steve's heart.

You can check Terri Irwin’s post below:

Credit: @terriirwincrikey / Instagram

Key Takeaways
  • Terri Irwin shared a candid reflection on being a single mother to Bindi and Robert Irwin following her husband Steve Irwin's death in 2006.
  • She expressed that her children gave her purpose, courage, and happiness, stating motherhood is the best part of her life.
  • Terri continued to honour Steve's legacy through their ongoing commitment to animal conservation and their work at Australia Zoo.
  • The Irwin family celebrated the annual Steve Irwin Gala in Las Vegas, with Prince William delivering a message praising their conservation efforts.
What do you think of Terri’s statement? Does Terri Irwin's unwavering dedication to her children resonate with your own experiences of parenthood? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Being the Best mum and grandma I can be is one of my greatest achievement. Family has always been the most precious gift I have, I am not a single mum, have had a wonderful hubby, dad, poppy, by my side to help me. Terri has done a great job raising her kids as a single mum from everything I read.

My wife was always a great mum and now we have 6 grand kids and according to them she is the best Nanna