Telstra postpones 3G shutdown amid emergency calls concerns

For nearly two decades, 3G technology has been a cornerstone of mobile communication in Australia.

However, as we march towards a future dominated by faster and more efficient 4G and 5G networks, the transition is not without its challenges.

Telstra has been preparing its customers for this change for nearly five years, but it's become clear that not everyone is ready.

In a recent move, Telstra decided to postpone the shutdown of its 3G network.

Originally scheduled to cease operations on June 30, 2024, the network will now remain active until August 31, 2024.

This extension is a response to growing concerns that some customers could be left without the ability to make emergency calls—a vital lifeline in times of crisis.

shutterstock_676037074.jpg
Telstra has announced that the shutdown of 3G services will be delayed until August. Image source: Shutterstock

The company stated that the network closure was delayed to ‘give people more time to upgrade their devices’.

In a statement, they said: ‘Telstra has been communicating the closure of the network for nearly five years but understand there is a range of reasons why some people haven’t moved on.’

‘The closure of the nation’s 3G network is an industry-wide change, moving people to better connectivity.’

The announcement to switch off the network was made in 2019 to increase data and internet speed for 4G and 5G technologies.

However, the closure of the 20-year-old network has raised concerns that some people may not be able to make emergency calls.

While many modern 4G phones are equipped with Voice over LTE (VoLTE) technology, allowing emergency calls to be made over 4G networks, some older 4G handsets lack this capability.

These devices can make regular calls over 4G or 5G but revert to 3G when dialling triple-0. With the 3G network gone, these calls would simply not connect.

The gravity of this issue was not lost on the Australian government, which facilitated the creation of a working group to address the safe shutdown of the 3G network.

This group, which includes Telstra, TPG, Optus, and the Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association (AMTA), is tasked with ensuring that the transition does not endanger public safety.

Dr Gareth Downing, CEO of the Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN), expressed relief at the formation of this industry working group.

The concerns are not unfounded; reports suggested that as many as 740,000 older 4G handsets could be rendered incapable of connecting to triple-0 once the 3G network is deactivated. This could lead to confusion among consumers, who might not realise that their devices will fail them in emergencies.

‘These devices will however work for regular phone calls on 4G networks, making it unclear to consumers that in the event of an emergency they will not be able to call triple-0,’ he said.

Telstra informed its customers about the upcoming changes. By sending a simple SMS with the number 3 to 3498, Telstra customers can quickly find out if their mobile phone will be affected by the 3G shutdown.

This service is part of Telstra's commitment to keeping its customers both connected and safe.

But what if you still use 3G?

Please note that if you have devices that can only use 3G, you will not be able to connect to Telstra's network after 31 August 2024. Also, if your mobile device does not have VoLTE technology, even if it uses 4G data, it will not be able to make voice calls on the Telstra network after that day.

It is important to note that not all VoLTE-enabled devices support emergency VoLTE calling, meaning they will not be able to make an emergency call to 000 once 3G closes.

As we navigate this transition, it's crucial for all Australians, particularly seniors who may rely on older technology, to stay informed and prepared.

Upgrading your device might seem like a hassle, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind and the assurance that help is just a call away in an emergency.

We encourage our members to check their devices and reach out to their service providers if they have any concerns about the upcoming changes.
Key Takeaways

• Telstra will delay the closure of its 3G network until August 31, 2024, to give customers more time to upgrade their devices.
  • The decision to postpone the shutdown comes amid concerns that some customers may be unable to make emergency calls on triple-0.
  • A working group has been set up with key industry players to ensure the network closure does not compromise safety.
  • Telstra customers can text the number 3 to 3498 to check if their mobile phone will be affected by the 3G network shutdown.
What are your thoughts on the 3G network shutdown? Have you checked if your device is compatible with the new networks? Share your experiences and any tips you might have for a smooth transition in the comments below.

Reactions: June E
Sponsored
I have no idea what these networks are but if they close down the landlines many people will be in deep shit including me. Many of us are unable to use mobile phones for eg bad deafness and people who live in black spot areas such as Bundaberg. This area covers hundreds of KS in Qld;

Reactions: Robeo56
Have no idea what 3G is and my mobile is as old as anything - nothing like a smart phone. To phone Telstra and ask questions takes forever - last time I rang them I spent an hour and 30 mins. pressing buttons, talking to machines and listening to boring music. Need help from someone but who! Am 81 years old and in another age!. HELP!!!!!!

Have no idea what 3G is and my mobile is as old as anything - nothing like a smart phone. To phone Telstra and ask questions takes forever - last time I rang them I spent an hour and 30 mins. pressing buttons, talking to machines and listening to boring music. Need help from someone but who! Am 81 years old and in another age!. HELP!!!!!!
Stay old Glenys! Don't get sucked into the system...

Have no idea what 3G is and my mobile is as old as anything - nothing like a smart phone. To phone Telstra and ask questions takes forever - last time I rang them I spent an hour and 30 mins. pressing buttons, talking to machines and listening to boring music.GET Need help from someone but who! Am 81 years old and in another age!. HELP!!!!!!
GET A LANDLINE. PROBLEM SOLVED