Telecommunications accessibility

With the aging of our society there will be a greater number of citizens with vision loss from a variety of reasons. Glaucoma, Macula Degeneration, Diabetic retinopathy, Cataract, age assoc changes etc.... In this era of digital access to information many of us are or will feel discriminated against as we feel left behind & large corporations seem to not be interested in our plight.

I tried to access Vodafone account on my computer to download my statement only to find the process is de-activated.

You now have to download an App on your mobile, place your mobile number & pin to get a long alpha numeric code (20 odd symbols). Or you can place your details on the computer but you still then get directed to the Mobile App.

From this you need to tap the code & gain entry to the mobile screen app & then navigate around the mobile screen.

However if you are classified as legally blind (based on acuity or fields) or even just non computer savvy or just poor vision, this is not an option meaning discrimination is apparent for those with vision loss.

I tried Seri to assist but the voice stated that Seri not authorised to access Vodafone's app.

As I use assistive technology & a large screen computer I am left with potentially having to locate another provider who does not discriminate against those with vision loss.

I managed to phone their Contact Us 1300 650 410 number & navigate their option menu & was advised that for security reasons the computer web based process is no longer functional & placed a formal complaint. Theor Web site now states under Contact Us “You can chat to us 24/7 through the My Vodafone app. If you haven't already, you can download the app through Google Play or the App Store”

The issue is - do we & how do we raise our voice against this apparent change in how we can access the digital world we live in. I dont mind sms codes that still allow access via my computer, but what happens if you cannot afford a smart mobile phone or are cannot navigate around one or cannot access your own data which in entrenched in the UN Convention on the rights of People with a disability article 21 (Access to information) & Australia is a signatory to. Sadly few app designers understand the needs of aged or vision impaired people.

Sponsored
With the aging of our society there will be a greater number of citizens with vision loss from a variety of reasons. Glaucoma, Macula Degeneration, Diabetic retinopathy, Cataract, age assoc changes etc.... In this era of digital access to information many of us are or will feel discriminated against as we feel left behind & large corporations seem to not be interested in our plight.

I tried to access Vodafone account on my computer to download my statement only to find the process is de-activated.

You now have to download an App on your mobile, place your mobile number & pin to get a long alpha numeric code (20 odd symbols). Or you can place your details on the computer but you still then get directed to the Mobile App.

From this you need to tap the code & gain entry to the mobile screen app & then navigate around the mobile screen.

However if you are classified as legally blind (based on acuity or fields) or even just non computer savvy or just poor vision, this is not an option meaning discrimination is apparent for those with vision loss.

I tried Seri to assist but the voice stated that Seri not authorised to access Vodafone's app.

As I use assistive technology & a large screen computer I am left with potentially having to locate another provider who does not discriminate against those with vision loss.

I managed to phone their Contact Us 1300 650 410 number & navigate their option menu & was advised that for security reasons the computer web based process is no longer functional & placed a formal complaint. Theor Web site now states under Contact Us “You can chat to us 24/7 through the My Vodafone app. If you haven't already, you can download the app through Google Play or the App Store”

The issue is - do we & how do we raise our voice against this apparent change in how we can access the digital world we live in. I dont mind sms codes that still allow access via my computer, but what happens if you cannot afford a smart mobile phone or are cannot navigate around one or cannot access your own data which in entrenched in the UN Convention on the rights of People with a disability article 21 (Access to information) & Australia is a signatory to. Sadly few app designers understand the needs of aged or vision impaired people.
I do not understand apps or how to apply them. I have a cheap mobile phone which I bought in case I have an accident on the country roads I must drive on. I do not use it to search things on the internet as the screen is too small for me to read anything on it. My mobile phone is just that - a phone. It is not a miniature computer. Age discrimination is in full flight when it comes to technology.

I have found by recent experience that Telstra has been very good to me by ringing their faults line and geting an Australian operator who understands my lack of ability to use their app or do more than one thing on a mobile phone at a time. They have been very patient with me and given me clear instructions as to what to do. I would consider in the case of Vodophone of maybe going to the Telecommunications omubsman, don't know whether it would work but would put the spotlight on Vodophone and other companies who are not prepared to help their older, more handicapped clients.