Supermarket Home Delivery Rort

While the introduction of home delivery for groceries has, in some ways, been life-changing, lately, we’ve heard from members second-guessing the experience. It seems, more and more, near-expiry products, rotten produce and open products are being packed for unwitting customers.

Recently, a member brought their experience to our attention.

This member received their home delivery order around 6pm on November 12th and their bag of potatoes was dated the same day. When they went to cook the potatoes, they found them already sprouting.

‘I never discovered how bad they were until I went to use them a few days later.’

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 1.50.16 pm.png
Image Credit: Member - anonymous.

So is this a problem with the employees packing orders or the best-before-date process? Or perhaps it’s a failure by both.

This member has, unfortunately, had the run around from supermarkets in the past.

‘A few years ago I got ice cream that had been melted and refrozen, badly dented cans and I’ve ordered several bottles of milk to last me for a week only to discover the expiration date was in two days.’

‘I find most items I have received don’t have a long expiration date which leads me to believe that home delivery is one way to get rid of old stock. Once I received a cake from the bakery, they charged me full price for the cake even though there was a reduced sticker on the cake and to top it off the cake had expired two days before delivery, I did get a refund. However, I can’t remember if this cake was bought from Coles or Woolworths online.’

How would anyone think that packing something so close to its best-before date is acceptable? I know I’ve personally received items that have already been opened. It will be something simple like a packet of muesli bars but it has me guessing whether everything is still inside and whether it has been tampered with. Numerous experiences with clearly damaged, spoiled or open products have me wondering whether employees are packing the groceries that shoppers are clearly avoiding in person (after all, I would never purposefully grab the open box from the aisle). While I’m against food waste, the answer isn’t palming off sub-par products to trusting customers.

This member does have some advice for anyone receiving home deliveries of groceries.

‘We check off the items when we receive them because sometimes items are accidentally left out or you are charged for a large size but a smaller size is put in instead.’

What a fantastic idea to ensure you get what you paid for.

They explained, ‘Sometimes they don’t have the larger size so put in two smaller ones instead and that’s okay but not when they replace with one smaller size and still charge for the large size. I ordered a full pumpkin (can’t remember the exact price, probably around $12 or more), and they sent me a small slice of pumpkin but charged the full price. It makes you wonder who packs the items because surely they must know that pumpkin wouldn’t be that dear. However, I did buy a bag of oranges and the shop assistant packed one orange in the order but I was still charged for the bag.’

‘I do complain and get a refund but only if I notice when it’s unpacked.’

While it’s good that refunds are issued, no one should have to rely on this sort of reactionary customer service.
But that's not the only issue at hand. The member was kind enough to explain the ordering system.
'The customer orders and pays for the items that are in stock. However, the items are in store so another customer can come into the store and purchase the items you have already paid for. Then just before delivery, you will get a message to say it’s out of stock and get a refund.'

So if you desperately need to get your hands on something, perhaps it's best to head in-store in person to avoid any disappointing surprises.

Members, I’m interested in hearing from you – has your experience with grocery home delivery been positive or negative? If you feel comfortable, you can share your experience below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
While the introduction of home delivery for groceries has, in some ways, been life-changing, lately, we’ve heard from members second-guessing the experience. It seems, more and more, near-expiry products, rotten produce and open products are being packed for unwitting customers.

This member received their home delivery order around 6pm on November 12th and their bag of potatoes was dated the same day. When they went to cook the potatoes, they found them already sprouting.

‘I never discovered how bad they were until I went to use them a few days later.’

View attachment 9303

So is this a problem with the employees packing orders or the best-before-date process? Or perhaps it’s a failure by both.

This member has, unfortunately, had the run around from supermarkets in the past.

‘A few years ago I got ice cream that had been melted and refrozen, badly dented cans and I’ve ordered several bottles of milk to last me for a week only to discover the expiration date was in two days.’

‘I find most items I have received don’t have a long expiration date which leads me to believe that home delivery is one way to get rid of old stock. Once I received a cake from the bakery, they charged me full price for the cake even though there was a reduced sticker on the cake and to top it off the cake had expired two days before delivery, I did get a refund. However, I can’t remember if this cake was bought from Coles or Woolworths online.’

How would anyone think that packing something so close to its best-before date is acceptable? I know I’ve personally received items that have already been opened. It will be something simple like a packet of muesli bars but it has me guessing whether everything is still inside and whether it has been tampered with. Numerous experiences with clearly damaged, spoiled or open products have me wondering whether employees are packing the groceries that shoppers are clearly avoiding in person (after all, I would never purposefully grab the open box from the aisle). While I’m against food waste, the answer isn’t palming off sub-par products to trusting customers.

This member does have some advice for anyone receiving home deliveries of groceries.

‘We check off the items when we receive them because sometimes items are accidentally left out or you are charged for a large size but a smaller size is put in instead.’

They explained, ‘Sometimes they don’t have the larger size so put in two smaller ones instead and that’s okay but not when they replace with one smaller size and still charge for the large size. I ordered a full pumpkin (can’t remember the exact price, probably around $12 or more), and they sent me a small slice of pumpkin but charged the full price. It makes you wonder who packs the items because surely they must know that pumpkin wouldn’t be that dear. However, I did buy a bag of oranges and the shop assistant packed one orange in the order but I was still charged for the bag.’

While it’s good that refunds are issued, no one should have to rely on this sort of reactionary customer service.
But that's not the only issue at hand. The member was kind enough to explain the ordering system.
'The customer orders and pays for the items that are in stock. However, the items are in store so another customer can come into the store and purchase the items you have already paid for. Then just before delivery, you will get a message to say it’s out of stock and get a refund.'

So if you desperately need to get your hands on something, perhaps it's best to head in-store in person to avoid any disappointing surprises.

Members, I’m interested in hearing from you – has your experience with grocery home delivery been positive or negative? If you feel comfortable, you can share your experience below.
I have home delivery due to a back injury with no lifting and most times it is ok but yes experience the problems you speak of , expiry dates , my snap peas were rotting just recently and don’t get me on the free glassware at Coles. You are charged the full amount then they have to check flybys (which does appear when you order how many points you have ) I found it hard to get customer service to understand and finally after some weeks and communication I was credited the $24 for 2 glasses In view of all this all this communication thru emails , sms I find upsetting even if you are missing an item . If it is out of stock , you have to go back to your invoice on line and check that you haven’t been charged for those items
It was easier when you had a paper invoice to check off but I understand less paper is best
Although more internet and power is being used , happy day to all

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I have home delivery due to a back injury with no lifting and most times it is ok but yes experience the problems you speak of , expiry dates , my snap peas were rotting just recently and don’t get me on the free glassware at Coles. You are charged the full amount then they have to check flybys (which does appear when you order how many points you have ) I found it hard to get customer service to understand and finally after some weeks and communication I was credited the $24 for 2 glasses In view of all this all this communication thru emails , sms I find upsetting even if you are missing an item . If it is out of stock , you have to go back to your invoice on line and check that you haven’t been charged for those items
It was easier when you had a paper invoice to check off but I understand less paper is best

View attachment 9303

I have nothing but praise for the service. I order every week and know my delivery driver now, so we have a nice little chat when he delivers.
I have never had any problems of short delivery, other than what they have emailed me about prior and I can make an adjustment to my order.
Delivery only costs me $2, happy with that - it would cost me a lot more if I went to the shop. Another benefit is that it is easier to stick to your shopping list, and are not tempted to buy anything you pass in the shelves at the shop that tempts the taste buds. Another saving! I also am able to scroll through the weekly online specials catalogue and cross check with what I need to order.
I guess my only complaint would be when I order bananas or avocado - I have to wait a few days for them to ripen!
One time I came home to 3 large bags of groceries at my front door - I knew I was not due a delivery, so rang them to query - I was advised that they could not take it back due to health and safety issues, so 3 bags for me - free!!
Yes very happy customer here - thanks to Coles.

View attachment 9303

Oh yes, this post is a beauty. My list of negatives are long but to spare you of this I will name but a few. An avocado that my finger went through when getting out of paper bag. Bag of mini pears bruised best before by one day. Eggs due date one day before, several were cracked. Kaleslaw use by same day (when opened had a smell with browning leaves). Rubbery Onions. So YES i do believe some packers do not care and use online shopping to get rid of due buy date produce. However the next time I ordered I did use the option to make a request to picker, I wrote to please pick my Kaleslaw with a use by date that was a few days ahead as I do not use product until then. Surprisingly they did, I was very happy😃

It would be NO accident you are charged for large and recieve small let me assure you.
Happens all the time with Coles. Inferior F & V, almost of of date dairy. missed items - I check off every item and still get refund of 50/60c less than the charge - not a big amount - but add it up over 000's of on line orders and it would represent a pretty good saving for Coles.

• Sad
Less paper, I don;t think so, have you seen how much wasted rubbish is on your docket...you buy 6 items you have a docket more than 12 inches long, with rubbish.

View attachment 9303

Pretty much a similar experience for me, but oh so convenient! And usually around $5 per fortnight if my order is over $200 (usually just over & also usually less than $250 max.

I don’t drive so usually have to have home delivery. I use Coles because I don’t much like Woolworths even though the monthly delivery fee from Woolies is much cheaper as they give a senior discount which Coles don’t. I find fruit and veg is not ever the best, and the substitutes if what you ordered is out of stock are usually home brand, you are able to reject substitutes though. I haven’t really had any bad products luckily. One thing though which I really must ring up about is lately I get charged an extra amount every time with no explanation, under a dollar, even when there’s been nothing in the order that has had to be weighed out !!
I love woollies online every time I get a substitute I get an upgrade to something better same price🙀my personal shopper must like me😂

I have nothing but praise for the service. I order every week and know my delivery driver now, so we have a nice little chat when he delivers.
I have never had any problems of short delivery, other than what they have emailed me about prior and I can make an adjustment to my order.
Delivery only costs me $2, happy with that - it would cost me a lot more if I went to the shop. Another benefit is that it is easier to stick to your shopping list, and are not tempted to buy anything you pass in the shelves at the shop that tempts the taste buds. Another saving! I also am able to scroll through the weekly online specials catalogue and cross check with what I need to order.
I guess my only complaint would be when I order bananas or avocado - I have to wait a few days for them to ripen!
One time I came home to 3 large bags of groceries at my front door - I knew I was not due a delivery, so rang them to query - I was advised that they could not take it back due to health and safety issues, so 3 bags for me - free!!
Yes very happy customer here - thanks to Coles.
Pig out time for you yummy😂

View attachment 9303

I always keep my spuds in dark cupboard never grow in there😁