Sugar Man singer Sixto Rodriguez and celebrity hairstylist John Barrett pass away

The idea that life is fragile and something to be cherished has been highlighted again with two recent losses in the entertainment world.

Recently, cult favourite singer-songwriter Sixto Diaz Rodriguez passed away at the age of 81, leaving the millions of fans worldwide who knew his work immensely saddened at the news.

His official website condoled announcements of his death, stating, 'We extend our most heartfelt condolences to his daughters–Sandra, Eva and Regan–and to all his family. May His Dear Soul Rest In Peace.'

The cause of his death remains unknown, but it is understood that Rodriguez had suffered a stroke in recent years.

Credit: Letterman.

The Michigan-born singer's unexpected fame in the international music charts was explored in the 2012 Oscar-winning documentary Searching for Sugar Man, directed by Swedish filmmaker Malik Bendjelloul.

It captured the hearts and attention of millions worldwide by delving into his humble beginnings, wherein his dreams of fame and fortune were encapsulated with his first two albums, Cold Fact and Coming From Reality.

These were released in the late 70s in the US but fell short, and led him to turn to manual labour instead. In 1979, he briefly toured Australia.

It was only after his daughter stumbled upon a cult following for his music online in South Africa in 1997 that Rodriguez decided to pick up the microphone again.

Among his greatest hits, such as 'Sugar Man' and 'I Wonder', his songs have been covered by Paolo Nutini, South African band Just Jinger and sampled by rapper Nas. His fame finally grew to the level it was intended when the documentary was released in 2012, leading to charting on US Billboard for the first time.

Rodriguez's sudden death was a tragedy for many, especially because his story inspires many would-be stars to know that it's never too late to live your dreams.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 8.50.02 AM.jpeg
Musician Sixto 'Sugar Man' Rodriguez and celebrity hairstylist John Barrett have passed away. Credit: Facebook, Instagram/johnbarrettnyc.

As well as Rodriguez, it was a sad day for the beauty industry, too, with news of the passing of another star—hairstylist John Barrett.

Barrett was born in Limerick, Ireland, but grew up in London before opening his first salon in New York City in 1996 and running his salon at Bergdorf Goodman for over 20 years.

Close friend and confidant Julianne Jaffe confirmed his passing was due to a battle with cancer.

The 66-year-old was a significant figure in the beauty industry, having worked with celebrities such as Princess Diana, Hillary Clinton, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, and Martha Stewart.

When interviewed for Page Six in April, he also spoke of his experiences working with the late royal.

'I was so nervous,' he recalled the experience.

'I get to her suite, and immediately she's sitting on the bed with my assistant looking at photographs of my assistant's children. The chatting was easy.'

He then added that the Princess trusted him to 'just do' what he liked and that the pressure was huge considering how worldwide the spotlight was.

As news of Barrett's passing was announced, tributes from celebrity pals and clients of his flooded social media, with former client Donna Air saying, 'Such a kind and generous soul, grateful for your kind hospitality in NYC. RIP, John'.

Another paid tribute, saying, 'He gave me opportunities no one has ever done! Let me run a floor for him when nobody wanted to.'

Key Takeaways

• Cult favourite singer-songwriter, Sixto Diaz Rodriguez, has sadly passed away at the age of 81.
  • Rodriguez's celebrity status gained traction after the 2012 Oscar-winning documentary, Searching for Sugar Man, of his life and music.
  • John Barrett, a famous hairstylist to celebrities such as Princess Diana and Martha Stewart, has also passed away at the age of 66 due to blood cancer.
  • Barrett's talent and warm charm were remembered by his salon team and celebrity pals as they paid heartfelt tributes to him.

We pay our deepest respect and say our goodbyes to these two accomplished souls. Their contributions to their respective fields are invaluable and will be missed massively by their families, friends, and fans.

May they both rest in peace.

Reactions: Shona Turk
Sponsored
I loved Rodriguez, he was such a talent!! ❤️ and it appears he was very humble as well. When I first heard him I bought tapes of his music, then cd's and then his 'Searching for Sugarman' documentary. RIP sir.

Reactions: ElizabethL
Love the music of Rodriguez especially Sugar Man .

Unfortunately I have no idea who the hairdresser of the celebrities was .

Rip 🙏 to both of these

Rodriguez's music will Live on