Spick and span: CHOICE's 2024 surface cleaner review reveals top performers!

In a world where cleanliness has never been more important, Australians are constantly on the lookout for the best products to keep their homes sparkling and germ-free.

The quest for the ultimate surface cleaner is a never-ending one, with shelves teeming with options promising to cut through grime and leave a pristine finish.

However, which ones truly deliver on their promises? Thankfully, the consumer advocate CHOICE has done the heavy lifting for us, revealing the results of its comprehensive surface cleaner review for 2024.

In an unprecedented outcome, not one, not two, but seven different products tied for the top spot in the review, which tested 55 products.

This is a testament to the high standards of cleaning products available on the market today, and it's fantastic news for consumers looking for reliable options.

compressed-shutterstock_1723107856.jpeg
CHOICE found that seven surface cleaners tied for first place in its 2024 review, each scoring 95 per cent. Credits: Shutterstock

CHOICE's Head of Reviews and Testing, Matthew Steen, emphasised the importance of choosing wisely when it comes to selecting a surface cleaner.

‘If you want a surface cleaner that really works, our testing shows that you need to choose wisely,’ he said.

‘An impressive seven products tied for first place in our review with scores of 95 per cent. These include both specific kitchen cleaners and general multipurpose cleaners from well-known brands such as Ajax, Dettol, Jif, Nifti and Pine O Cleen.’

Here's the list of the seven top-performing surface cleaners that made the cut:
For those of us who are budget-conscious, it's worth noting that the Jif Power & Shine Kitchen Spray 500 mL, priced at $3.50 at the time of testing, and the Earth Choice Antibacterial All Purpose Surface spray 600 mL, at $4, offer the best value among the top seven.

‘Time and again we find price isn't necessarily an indicator of performance,’ Steen pointed out.

CHOICE's rigorous testing process involved using pre-soiled melamine tiles to simulate common household messes and a spectrophotometer tool to measure the amount of dirt before and after cleaning.

In addition to the multipurpose cleaners, the review also shone a spotlight on window and glass cleaners, with Windex Glass Cleaner Trigger Crystal Rain 500 mL ($5) and Windex Glass Cleaner Trigger 500 mL ($5) both achieving a perfect 100 per cent CHOICE expert rating.

However, it's not just about the product itself; how you use it also matters.

Following the instructions on the label is crucial, especially with antibacterial cleaners that require a certain amount of dwell time to effectively kill germs and break down grease.

For those eager to delve into the full results of the surface cleaner review, you can find the detailed report here.

In the pursuit of a spotless home, Australians are turning to trusted reviews to find the most effective cleaning products.

As consumers seek the best options for keeping their homes pristine, these insights offer invaluable guidance.

However, the quest for household cleanliness doesn't end there.

For those tackling the dishes, another essential item in the cleaning arsenal, CHOICE's latest review of dishwashing liquids provides further clarity on which products stand out among the competition.
Key Takeaways
  • Consumer advocate CHOICE revealed that seven different surface cleaners tied for first place in its review, each with a score of 95 per cent.
  • The top performers encompass both kitchen-specific and general multipurpose cleaners from brands such as Ajax, Dettol, Jif, Nifti, and Pine O Cleen.
  • In the top-performing group, Jif Power & Shine Kitchen Spray 500 mL ($4) and Earth Choice Antibacterial All Purpose Surface Spray 600 mL ($4) were highlighted as the best value options for those on a budget.
  • The review demonstrated that high price doesn't always equate to high performance and that following product instructions, especially regarding dwell time for antibacterial cleaners, is crucial for achieving the best results.
Have you tried any of the CHOICE-recommended products? Do you have a go-to cleaner that didn't make the list? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Nifti is the best cleaning product ever, leaves every surface clean and shiny, never use anything else, it’s proven it’s worth every time, great on the carpet also ❤️

Although I use Nifty for high grease areas like exhaust fans etc, for general cleaning of surface areas I make a mix of lavender metho, small dash of dishwashing liquid and distilled water in a 500ml spray bottle.

EASY OFF BAM Kitchen Degreaser cleans grout very well, even in the bathroom.
Spray on and leave a couple of minutes soft brush and gone.

Reactions: Julie1946
I have a you beaut cleaner. Thinking of taking out a patent.
It's called EB (elbow grease).
Been a long time since I have purchased a cleaner. I make my own out of vinegar, dish wash and rinse aid. Hardly need any product and it works a treat. Plus, made with items I have in my kitchen already.
I stopped cluttering my under sink cupboard many years ago.