Simplify your decluttering process with the 12-12-12 method

Decluttering can be overwhelming, especially if you've accumulated years of belongings.

Suppose you've been putting off your annual cleanup—this simple yet effective decluttering strategy can help you transform your home without the stress.

The 12-12-12 method is a decluttering technique that's as easy as it sounds.

Each day, you find 12 items to throw away, 12 to donate, and 12 to return to their proper place.

Popularised by Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist, this method is a manageable and structured approach to decluttering that can yield significant results without feeling like an impossible chore.

Why 12? It's a number that's small enough to make the task easy, but large enough to make a noticeable difference.

compressed-pexels-blue-bird-7218504.jpeg
Clearing out items may give homeowners more space for things they need. Image Credit: Pexels/Blue Bird

The first few items are obvious choices—old magazines, expired coupons, or a broken vase.

However, as you continue, you'll need to be more discerning—which will encourage you to consider what items you need and value in your home.

To implement the 12-12-12 method effectively, consider tackling one room or area daily.

You can dedicate a day to your kitchen, living room, bedroom, et cetera.

For larger spaces, like a garage or attic, you might need to spread the task over several days to avoid burnout.

The key is to take it slow and steady, ensuring you make thoughtful decisions about what to keep and what to let go.

When deciding what to throw away or donate, start by identifying items that are out of place and return them to their rightful spot.

This will immediately reduce clutter and help you see your space more clearly.

Next, focus on the items you want to remove from your home.

If you're struggling to part with certain things, enlist the help of a friend who can provide an objective perspective and encourage you to let go of items you don't need.

In addition to the core categories of the 12-12-12 method, consider adding a fourth category: items to sell.

This is particularly useful for items that still hold value but no longer serve a purpose in your life.

Platforms like Facebook Marketplace and eBay make it easy to sell clothing, accessories, and other goods, as vouched for by professional resellers.

Just be realistic about the demand for your items and how long you're willing to wait for a sale. Donating is also a generous and satisfying alternative.

To streamline the decluttering process, use storage bins or boxes to sort items into categories: toss, donate, organise, and sell.

This will save you time and keep you organised as you work through each room.

Once you've completed your decluttering project, used bins can be repurposed for seasonal storage or other organisational needs.

Remember, the 12-12-12 method isn't just about getting rid of things; it's about creating a space that reflects your current needs and lifestyle.

It's about making room for what truly matters and finding joy in the simplicity of a well-organised home.

As you embark on this decluttering journey, you'll transform your living space and mindset.

Decluttering can be incredibly freeing, allowing you to let go of the past and embrace the present.

Who knows, this method might become a part of your routine—keeping your home tidy and your mind clear all year round.
Key Takeaways

• The 12-12-12 method, suggested by Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist, is a simple yet effective strategy to declutter your home by finding 12 items to throw away, 12 to donate, and 12 to put away each day.
  • It offers a balanced approach that is achievable but still presents a challenge, helping to stay on task with a concrete goal without feeling overwhelmed.
  • The method can be adapted to personal needs, and should be tackled one room or area at a time to avoid feeling rushed and possibly regretting decisions about what to keep or discard.
  • Additional categories like 'Items to sell' can be integrated into the process, utilising tools like storage bins to organise items and streamline the decluttering process, as well as clear guidance on determining if items are worth selling or should be donated.
Are you ready to give the 12-12-12 method a try? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
My New Years resolution was to sort out all my cupboards, drawers etc one at a time. I'm working my way slowly through the house. There is a growing pile of stuff for the op shop (which my daughter and Granddaughter have rifled through and helped themselves), the bin has had quite a bit of stuff put in it (in the correct bin of course). Some other stuff that I'm unsure about has been put back, decision to be made later. Found things I'd forgotten about so obviously didn't need, things belonging to the kids, I've given them back (not sure if they enjoyed having their school reports back). Still got a lot of cupboards, shelves and drawers to go, but I'm in no hurry, I gave myself a year to do it all.