SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
SDC Team Weekly Recap #2

Good morning!

We are back with another SDC team wrap-up! So, what have your favourite (we hope!) newsletter writers, story connoisseurs and bargain-hunters been up to this week? Well, we’re glad you asked!

Maddie
This week was a hectic week! My partner, Hugh, has been away for work on the Gold Coast so I’ve been a lone soldier holding down ‘the fort’. My recommendation is to re-watch Friends. I know some people think it’s a silly show, and honestly, the fake laughing drives me a little mad too, but I just love the 90s nostalgia. It makes me feel so at home and relaxed! I also love the fashion on the show and find it so funny how it’s all making a comeback!

One other thing I will recommend is Yoga. I made a promise to myself that I would attend one class a week. I have kept that promise and I really am loving it. I’m not flexible and I’m definitely not the best in the class. But I’m enjoying the challenge, and I’m loving how calm and collected I feel after the class.

Vella
I had quite a balanced week this week. I started the week off by relaxing and catching up on some sleep since my feet were killing me from all the walking I did last week while sightseeing in South Korea! Oh, I have lots of pictures and stories to share from that trip, by the way. We visited many beautiful places and tried so many delicious foods (Korean BBQ tastes even better when you're eating it in Korea!). And the people were so friendly and welcoming. Best of all, I got to spend time with my partner and create lots of wonderful memories together. It was an amazing experience overall! A week was not nearly enough time to explore everything that country has to offer, but I’m glad I got to see and experience as much as I did.

Here are some pictures I took while I was there:

-The beautiful scenery

GRsJonyukBPNSoUjNiI8Nxp_MEd1r_Pvk1qp5B4boKixt5xRn91QRXaupSoyOPWSZUFTRgGkq2s1Mq9hjW7rcIufgCX7QY-g-M2q3rDiXiF_rGmLCSUaB19MZ2Z_GNzDj42KmxvDxbybNkSEgZZUzFRNQ3daJrKBwoXsu7hmtaoPrWCRAjHku8pZSg

- Korean street food
r4JHbxRKoYSxsGDjQbr3QwV6g6xJdFEbPNZ7segqWTi9DhnieTjaPpVtFsaqnXf7SiWnr-jn1YQ3oOhqnLzfbfKTX3u0nwBYPUM_9kR7yjXHtQaq-ekD1rbUbAiBZMZsGILVtxYFyKe4MfBB276LDm68BQvk1glWoczRVAMBMBpGBg7JgSGcA3KTdw

I recommend Korea to everyone, and if you have the chance to go, GO! Try all the food (especially the delicious street food, including Tteokbokki, my new favourite dish!), visit all the palaces and temples, and take lots of pictures! If you want to taste Korean culture without leaving the country, I recommend checking out this list of the 20 best Korean restaurants in Australia.

Anyway, I had to hit the ground running with work and other responsibilities. As some of you may know, it was my dad's 60th birthday this week, so we had a big celebration for him on Thursday. I got busy preparing for that and making sure everything was just perfect. It was a great evening filled with lots of laughter, love, and good food. It was great to see all my family and friends in one place, and my dad was absolutely thrilled. It was really special to be able to celebrate such a milestone together.

Here's a photo of the cake-blowing ceremony:

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 2.34.02 PM.png

All in all, it was a great week. I got to spend time with loved ones and celebrate a special occasion.

Jon
I found the best place for dumplings in Sydney this week. When I say best, I mean cheapest. That’s right, members, I found 10c dumplings! Until 10pm every Thursday you can buy prawn, pork and vegetarian dumplings for a mere 10c a piece. Hungry for 20 dumplings? Dinner will only cost you $2. I highly recommend the pork dumplings. They also offer pizza and sweet potato chips for $5 a pop. Where is this bargain, you might ask? The Argyle at The Rocks. The super sad news is that this was a September-only special. The good news is that it will surely come back, right?

April
Like Maddie, I’ve had quite a busy week! My house had its building and pest inspection in preparation for the sale going unconditional next week. More excitingly, I was approved for a rental in good ol’ Sydney. That’s right, I’m leaving the sunshine state and heading down south! I’m honestly a bit stressed about it all - let’s say a comfortable 50 per cent stressed and 50 per cent excited (like all good things in life). I even re-took up Yoga to try and relax a little amid the rental research.

Who wants to be our eyes and ears in Queensland now?

Joking aside, it’s such a relief to have a new home locked in. The movers are booked and now I just have to pack… I’m also somewhat relieved to be leaving the strange animals that have been making themselves at home lately. This week, I’ve been visited by: a possum, a carpet python, a very pretty cat (I don’t know breeds), a huge huntsman spider and various birds. So obviously I’m starting my own zoo.

Entertainment-wise, I’ve read a few books this week! Some are top secret as I was judging them for the Romance Novelist Associations 2023 Awards. I also finally finished Bret Easton Elis’ The Shards (due to come out early 2023 - quite grotesque honestly) and Sarah Wilson’s This one wild and precious life (I had mixed feelings on this one). What a strange and varied selection – I know!

Sean
I had the shocking experience of finding out that hamsters hibernate after reading a thread on Facebook where people were sharing the moment they found out their hamsters had died.

Apparently, some people assume that hibernating hamsters are just dead and they bury them. This can be a heart-wrenching experience, especially if you thought you were taking care of your pet properly.

If you have a hamster, it's important to know that it can hibernate. This means that they will lower their body temperature and heart rate and go into a deep sleep. They will also not eat or drink during this time.

Well, I'm a musophobe so I don't really like mice and the likes (including hamsters...ironically, we have a bunny at home...to be fair, they're not rats). But, if you own a hamster and you think they're hibernating, it's important to not panic. You should check to see if they are still breathing and have a heartbeat. If they are, then they are just in a deep sleep and will eventually wake up.

If you're not sure if your hamster is hibernating or dead, it's always best to err on the side of caution and take them to the vet. They can check to make sure your hamster is healthy and give you peace of mind.

Sethia
Things took a slightly darker turn for me this week… I spent my evenings watching Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story on Netflix. If you’re a fan of horror or thriller-themed stories, then you NEED to see this. However, I must warn you all that this series isn’t for the faint-hearted.

It’s a very vivid and close re-enactment of what transpired throughout Jeffrey Dahmer’s life – who is also known as one of the most notorious serial killers in America.

Qb0f7UJUe2mbLOZBrUU_EUC-mf2O3tm2aRR_9fEaL9O19ewrxca6yaMJqEYV3XXJcm7oKT-aqVkdsYHOe8QKlziGexhPN1VwWQY2MbEceqIN5pCv_HcqG-NOCPQCPXrXtp7oVh3qfSHlPKTYpuzFqG0G7omOAu0GvhuaZCxWRy36rLxdFxo23GWU1w

A side-by-side comparison of the actor and the real Jeffrey Dahmer. Source: Entertainment Weekly

The best part about this series is that it also gives the audience a look into the lives of the victims and how their families were affected by the murders.

Am I weird for being interested in these types of shows? Hahaha!

If any of you ever get to watch it, please feel free to message me privately so we can have a fun discussion about the series.

Get a quick glimpse of the show below:

Source: Netflix

James
It's been a rather quiet week for me. Just stayed home, worked out a bit, caught up on some TV shows, and listened to one of my favourite bands' recently released music. (Feel free to check out Paramore’s new single: This is Why).

Oh, and I got myself a new phone, so I'll be ditching my previous one. The past five years have been greatly appreciated - thank you for your service.

Also, I recently watched this video of a young girl being asked what she would want to see the new king do, and her hilarious response was captured on camera.

Credit: YouTube/StopaSlime.

How was your week, members? We’d love to read your highlights (or lowlights - it happens sometimes) down below!

Attachments

• IMG_9365.JPG
    IMG_9365.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Penny4 and Ezzy
Good morning!

We are back with another SDC team wrap-up! So, what have your favourite (we hope!) newsletter writers, story connoisseurs and bargain-hunters been up to this week? Well, we’re glad you asked!

Maddie
This week was a hectic week! My partner, Hugh, has been away for work on the Gold Coast so I’ve been a lone soldier holding down ‘the fort’. My recommendation is to re-watch Friends. I know some people think it’s a silly show, and honestly, the fake laughing drives me a little mad too, but I just love the 90s nostalgia. It makes me feel so at home and relaxed! I also love the fashion on the show and find it so funny how it’s all making a comeback!

One other thing I will recommend is Yoga. I made a promise to myself that I would attend one class a week. I have kept that promise and I really am loving it. I’m not flexible and I’m definitely not the best in the class. But I’m enjoying the challenge, and I’m loving how calm and collected I feel after the class.

Vella
I had quite a balanced week this week. I started the week off by relaxing and catching up on some sleep since my feet were killing me from all the walking I did last week while sightseeing in South Korea! Oh, I have lots of pictures and stories to share from that trip, by the way. We visited many beautiful places and tried so many delicious foods (Korean BBQ tastes even better when you're eating it in Korea!). And the people were so friendly and welcoming. Best of all, I got to spend time with my partner and create lots of wonderful memories together. It was an amazing experience overall! A week was not nearly enough time to explore everything that country has to offer, but I’m glad I got to see and experience as much as I did.

-The beautiful scenery

GRsJonyukBPNSoUjNiI8Nxp_MEd1r_Pvk1qp5B4boKixt5xRn91QRXaupSoyOPWSZUFTRgGkq2s1Mq9hjW7rcIufgCX7QY-g-M2q3rDiXiF_rGmLCSUaB19MZ2Z_GNzDj42KmxvDxbybNkSEgZZUzFRNQ3daJrKBwoXsu7hmtaoPrWCRAjHku8pZSg

- Korean street food
r4JHbxRKoYSxsGDjQbr3QwV6g6xJdFEbPNZ7segqWTi9DhnieTjaPpVtFsaqnXf7SiWnr-jn1YQ3oOhqnLzfbfKTX3u0nwBYPUM_9kR7yjXHtQaq-ekD1rbUbAiBZMZsGILVtxYFyKe4MfBB276LDm68BQvk1glWoczRVAMBMBpGBg7JgSGcA3KTdw

I recommend Korea to everyone, and if you have the chance to go, GO! Try all the food (especially the delicious street food, including Tteokbokki, my new favourite dish!), visit all the palaces and temples, and take lots of pictures! If you want to taste Korean culture without leaving the country, I recommend checking out this list of the 20 best Korean restaurants in Australia.

Anyway, I had to hit the ground running with work and other responsibilities. As some of you may know, it was my dad's 60th birthday this week, so we had a big celebration for him on Thursday. I got busy preparing for that and making sure everything was just perfect. It was a great evening filled with lots of laughter, love, and good food. It was great to see all my family and friends in one place, and my dad was absolutely thrilled. It was really special to be able to celebrate such a milestone together.

All in all, it was a great week. I got to spend time with loved ones and celebrate a special occasion.

Jon
I found the best place for dumplings in Sydney this week. When I say best, I mean cheapest. That’s right, members, I found 10c dumplings! Until 10pm every Thursday you can buy prawn, pork and vegetarian dumplings for a mere 10c a piece. Hungry for 20 dumplings? Dinner will only cost you $2. I highly recommend the pork dumplings. They also offer pizza and sweet potato chips for $5 a pop. Where is this bargain, you might ask? The Argyle at The Rocks. The super sad news is that this was a September-only special. The good news is that it will surely come back, right?

April
Like Maddie, I’ve had quite a busy week! My house had its building and pest inspection in preparation for the sale going unconditional next week. More excitingly, I was approved for a rental in good ol’ Sydney. That’s right, I’m leaving the sunshine state and heading down south! I’m honestly a bit stressed about it all - let’s say a comfortable 50 per cent stressed and 50 per cent excited (like all good things in life). I even re-took up Yoga to try and relax a little amid the rental research.

Joking aside, it’s such a relief to have a new home locked in. The movers are booked and now I just have to pack… I’m also somewhat relieved to be leaving the strange animals that have been making themselves at home lately. This week, I’ve been visited by: a possum, a carpet python, a very pretty cat (I don’t know breeds), a huge huntsman spider and various birds. So obviously I’m starting my own zoo.

Entertainment-wise, I’ve read a few books this week! Some are top secret as I was judging them for the Romance Novelist Associations 2023 Awards. I also finally finished Bret Easton Elis’ The Shards (due to come out early 2023 - quite grotesque honestly) and Sarah Wilson’s This one wild and precious life (I had mixed feelings on this one). What a strange and varied selection – I know!

Sean
I had the shocking experience of finding out that hamsters hibernate after reading a thread on Facebook where people were sharing the moment they found out their hamsters had died.

Apparently, some people assume that hibernating hamsters are just dead and they bury them. This can be a heart-wrenching experience, especially if you thought you were taking care of your pet properly.

If you have a hamster, it's important to know that it can hibernate. This means that they will lower their body temperature and heart rate and go into a deep sleep. They will also not eat or drink during this time.

Well, I'm a musophobe so I don't really like mice and the likes (including hamsters...ironically, we have a bunny at home...to be fair, they're not rats). But, if you own a hamster and you think they're hibernating, it's important to not panic. You should check to see if they are still breathing and have a heartbeat. If they are, then they are just in a deep sleep and will eventually wake up.

If you're not sure if your hamster is hibernating or dead, it's always best to err on the side of caution and take them to the vet. They can check to make sure your hamster is healthy and give you peace of mind.

Sethia
Things took a slightly darker turn for me this week… I spent my evenings watching Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story on Netflix. If you’re a fan of horror or thriller-themed stories, then you NEED to see this. However, I must warn you all that this series isn’t for the faint-hearted.

It’s a very vivid and close re-enactment of what transpired throughout Jeffrey Dahmer’s life – who is also known as one of the most notorious serial killers in America.

Qb0f7UJUe2mbLOZBrUU_EUC-mf2O3tm2aRR_9fEaL9O19ewrxca6yaMJqEYV3XXJcm7oKT-aqVkdsYHOe8QKlziGexhPN1VwWQY2MbEceqIN5pCv_HcqG-NOCPQCPXrXtp7oVh3qfSHlPKTYpuzFqG0G7omOAu0GvhuaZCxWRy36rLxdFxo23GWU1w

A side-by-side comparison of the actor and the real Jeffrey Dahmer. Source: Entertainment Weekly

The best part about this series is that it also gives the audience a look into the lives of the victims and how their families were affected by the murders.

If any of you ever get to watch it, please feel free to message me privately so we can have a fun discussion about the series.

James
It's been a rather quiet week for me. Just stayed home, worked out a bit, caught up on some TV shows, and listened to one of my favourite bands' recently released music. (Feel free to check out Paramore’s new single: This is Why).

Oh, and I got myself a new phone, so I'll be ditching my previous one. The past five years have been greatly appreciated - thank you for your service.

Also, I recently watched this video of a young girl being asked what she would want to see the new king do, and her hilarious response was captured on camera.

How was your week, members? We’d love to read your highlights (or lowlights - it happens sometimes) down below!

Good morning!

Maddie

Vella

-The beautiful scenery

- Korean street food

Jon

April

Sean

Sethia

James

Thanks to the team for sharing their past week with us. I can't compete with those experiences. Holidaying in Korea & sampling all that it had to offer sounds like a great idea. Another for the to do list l guess.

I wasn't aware Hamsters hibernate & though l have never had them, this was interesting because l only ever knew of bears doing this.

Moving home has to b one of the most stressful things l have ever done & l have lost count of the number of times we've done this in our 50 years of marriage, but never from one state to another. Guess l like to be near our girls & visa versa.

I m glad some of our writers found time to find alternate things to do even if this was in the absence of a partner in one instance.

One thing which remained the same though was the enjoyment received from reading articles here, being able to share comments with people, learning about something new or laughing at a new joke or an old one.