New shed and fence next door sparks neighbourhood feud - whose side are you on?

A woman received backlash on social media after posting pictures of her neighbour's new garden shed and fence, claiming that she was 'uninformed' of the construction, despite allegedly receiving advance notice from them.

The woman in question posted a picture of the enormous garden shed and a double fence, along with an admission that she was extremely upset that they had chosen to construct something so massive.

"The neighbours said they planned to replace their old, standard garden fence. We said great," the woman wrote in her Facebook post, followed by, "But then, this is what's going up. What the…"

On the Facebook group, she had hoped to garner the sympathy and support of her fellow homeowners, but instead, she was met with responses that were quite different from what she had anticipated.

Wi4Jp-AvI90Cnqhc9lZG4Z9C2AJJkV3kR5HWamBr3GhRbS8MB3qzMCKHYja4nCOGgEJcskEDzNFezxAnHzTFm7IElQe-KUWpO_R9Mj4O7ymzTKTMsOE9sS9GVvNqbUfHxeAchkxhZSV--pX8kA

Her neighbours said they'd replace the garden shed, but she didn't expect a huge one. Credit: Facebook.

The woman's complaints were dismissed by the other members of the Facebook group; they told her that she should have inquired further if she was that concerned and she should "stop acting like a Karen" on social media.

"Mind your own business, it has nothing to do with you," one user wrote in the comments. Another agreed and added, "They told you about it and you brushed them off, you should have sat down with them if you were that concerned."

Others mentioned that the neighbour's new fence is a significant improvement and that the woman should learn from them and follow their example. "To be honest, your fence isn't that nice to look at anyway, you should do what they're doing," said one user.

Utterly shocked that the members of the group all took her neighbour's side, the woman took down the Facebook post almost immediately.

We can only hope that she is taking the time to address her issue offline and, if necessary, speak with her neighbours directly.

And while we're still on the topic of neighbours and their home renovations, the woman mentioned above isn't the only one who believes her neighbours went too far with their renovations.

In this second story, a father who was involved in a legal dispute with his next-door neighbour for two years over a pool deck has spoken out about the ordeal, which he describes as emotionally draining.

David Boettiger's life was turned upside down when his neighbour Wassim Rahman decided to demolish and rebuild his home in Oatley, in Sydney's south, in August 2020.

Until the demolition work next door started, according to Mr Boettiger, he was not properly informed of the plans.

A-Es_7vj6EdMfAQGsaOpu4RN3u_Y_JDC4_wyLspcodAyLLGTpKfOY2FWoBw60yWChprKPmXd9vqShB5iPg1ogPM0xEo1zKkeXGZNX3iVUzpUCK3g9twDPalyIs4ylwNDKJKd496QyhNPFVLkjA

A father who fought his neighbour for two years over a pool deck describes the harrowing experience. Credit: David Boetigger.

"We could see that the house was being demolished, but nobody ever told us what was happening," he told an online news outlet. "Prior to that, we were unaware of any plans. We had no idea what they were up to."

Mr Rahman's contractors, Saf Developments, refuted Mr Boettiger's claim, insisting that a private certifier notified all adjacent property owners on July 9 of the rebuilding plans.

Mr Boettiger said that it cost him more than $100,000 in legal fees to change parts of his neighbour's building, such as a pool deck that was right up against his fence.

He said that the mental and emotional toll of the conflict manifested itself as feelings of anxiety and depression, as well as difficulty sleeping.

Nearly two years after the start of their neighbour's construction, Mr Boettiger and his wife have left the house that has been in their family for roughly 40 years.

"Even though we technically won and got the changes made, I go back to the area and I just hate the place," he said. "I understand I am particularly sensitive, but it was a year and a half to two years of complete anxiety."

"I've never been more stressed."

What about you, members? Do you also have some "neighbours from hell" stories that you would like to tell? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm not sure of the rules but don't you need council approval before erecting such a big shed in a suburban backyard? If that is indeed the case they would have had to inform her and there would have been a time set on when she could oppose it.

Reactions: debjane
A woman received backlash on social media after posting pictures of her neighbour's new garden shed and fence, claiming that she was 'uninformed' of the construction, despite allegedly receiving advance notice from them.

The woman in question posted a picture of the enormous garden shed and a double fence, along with an admission that she was extremely upset that they had chosen to construct something so massive.

"The neighbours said they planned to replace their old, standard garden fence. We said great," the woman wrote in her Facebook post, followed by, "But then, this is what's going up. What the…"

On the Facebook group, she had hoped to garner the sympathy and support of her fellow homeowners, but instead, she was met with responses that were quite different from what she had anticipated.

Wi4Jp-AvI90Cnqhc9lZG4Z9C2AJJkV3kR5HWamBr3GhRbS8MB3qzMCKHYja4nCOGgEJcskEDzNFezxAnHzTFm7IElQe-KUWpO_R9Mj4O7ymzTKTMsOE9sS9GVvNqbUfHxeAchkxhZSV--pX8kA

Her neighbours said they'd replace the garden shed, but she didn't expect a huge one. Credit: Facebook.

The woman's complaints were dismissed by the other members of the Facebook group; they told her that she should have inquired further if she was that concerned and she should "stop acting like a Karen" on social media.

"Mind your own business, it has nothing to do with you," one user wrote in the comments. Another agreed and added, "They told you about it and you brushed them off, you should have sat down with them if you were that concerned."

Others mentioned that the neighbour's new fence is a significant improvement and that the woman should learn from them and follow their example. "To be honest, your fence isn't that nice to look at anyway, you should do what they're doing," said one user.

Utterly shocked that the members of the group all took her neighbour's side, the woman took down the Facebook post almost immediately.

We can only hope that she is taking the time to address her issue offline and, if necessary, speak with her neighbours directly.

And while we're still on the topic of neighbours and their home renovations, the woman mentioned above isn't the only one who believes her neighbours went too far with their renovations.

In this second story, a father who was involved in a legal dispute with his next-door neighbour for two years over a pool deck has spoken out about the ordeal, which he describes as emotionally draining.

David Boettiger's life was turned upside down when his neighbour Wassim Rahman decided to demolish and rebuild his home in Oatley, in Sydney's south, in August 2020.

Until the demolition work next door started, according to Mr Boettiger, he was not properly informed of the plans.

A-Es_7vj6EdMfAQGsaOpu4RN3u_Y_JDC4_wyLspcodAyLLGTpKfOY2FWoBw60yWChprKPmXd9vqShB5iPg1ogPM0xEo1zKkeXGZNX3iVUzpUCK3g9twDPalyIs4ylwNDKJKd496QyhNPFVLkjA

A father who fought his neighbour for two years over a pool deck describes the harrowing experience. Credit: David Boetigger.

"We could see that the house was being demolished, but nobody ever told us what was happening," he told an online news outlet. "Prior to that, we were unaware of any plans. We had no idea what they were up to."

Mr Rahman's contractors, Saf Developments, refuted Mr Boettiger's claim, insisting that a private certifier notified all adjacent property owners on July 9 of the rebuilding plans.

Mr Boettiger said that it cost him more than $100,000 in legal fees to change parts of his neighbour's building, such as a pool deck that was right up against his fence.

He said that the mental and emotional toll of the conflict manifested itself as feelings of anxiety and depression, as well as difficulty sleeping.

Nearly two years after the start of their neighbour's construction, Mr Boettiger and his wife have left the house that has been in their family for roughly 40 years.

"Even though we technically won and got the changes made, I go back to the area and I just hate the place," he said. "I understand I am particularly sensitive, but it was a year and a half to two years of complete anxiety."

What about you, members? Do you also have some "neighbours from hell" stories that you would like to tell? Share them with us in the comments below!

I don’t understand how the neighbour had council permission to build so close to his fence

Reactions: Ricci
When a new shed and fence popped up next door, it stirred up quite the debate in my area too. I found myself torn between understanding the need for privacy and the frustration of feeling boxed in. It's a tricky situation for sure. When I was dealing with a similar dilemma, I turned to Fence Contractor Software to explore different design options and costs. It helped me visualize potential solutions and find common ground with my neighbors.

Last edited: