Mum shares recipe for the perfect healthy snack – veggie muffins!

Resisting the urge to grab a bag of chips in your pantry is hard, especially in the middle of the afternoon when you’re in that awkward twilight zone between lunch and dinner. We totally get it!

That’s why whenever we come across recipes for quick and easy mid-afternoon snacks, we don’t pass up the opportunity to share them with you guys as well.

Plus, did you know that it can also be good for your blood sugar levels to have a little mid-afternoon graze? So no need to feel guilty either, folks!

Here, we’re sharing with you a recipe that is not only simple and easy, but is super healthy as well!

K8ljHjAeXg5KnBX0x_i4X8AROHXCmsWEvtavRR_U1oDW2M_Ukht5wUXNvoc5-_lAqfRf_7t8Atz2JDXUHNpBX2hZEcRivOvdJOh7LUQrv_h5U_toFs3fLqitIQGXEDHDseSS7t4a

The muffins are made from vegetables and are ‘packed with protein’. Credit: Instagram/@nourish_naturally.

Rebecca Gawthorne, a dietitian from Sydney, shared her recipe for the perfect delicious snack that will surely keep you energised throughout the day and in-between meals.

Her healthy veggie muffins are said to be “packed with protein”, so aside from the nutrients you’re going to get from the vegetables, you’re also going to get extra energy for an afternoonpick-me-up.

Here are the ingredients you will need:
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 cup baby spinach leaves (finely chopped)
  • ¼ cup canned corn
  • ¼ cup canned peas
  • 1 cup grated cheese
  • ¼ cup greek yoghurt
  • ½ cup plant milk of choice (I used soy milk)
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups plain wholemeal flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder

And here’s how she did it:

First, preheat your oven to 180°C. Then prepare your muffin tin by lining it with a no-stick cooking spray.

Now it’s time to prepare the “batter”. Grate the zucchini and carrot into small strips and squeeze out to remove the excess liquid. Then in a large mixing bowl, combine the grated zucchini and carrot with corn, peas, cheese, spinach, eggs, olive oil, yoghurt and milk.

Add the flour and baking powder to the wet ingredients and gently fold the mixture, until thoroughly combined.

Using a spatula, transfer the mixture into each muffin cup on the tray. Then bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

To check if it’s done, try sticking a toothpick into the centre and if it comes out clean, the muffin is cooked already.

The number of ingredients would make around 12 regular sized muffins, so you may want to cut it in half if you’re only making these for yourself.

Now you can just pop one of these muffins out whenever you need a quick healthy snack!

If you’re looking for other healthy muffin recipes, why not check out the video tutorial below?

Credit: El Mundo Eats.

Reactions: IVY and Ricci
Sponsored
Mum shares recipe for the perfect healthy snack – veggie muffins!

Resisting the urge to grab a bag of chips in your pantry is hard, especially in the middle of the afternoon when you’re in that awkward twilight zone between lunch and dinner. We totally get it!

That’s why whenever we come across recipes for quick and easy mid-afternoon snacks, we don’t pass up the opportunity to share them with you guys as well.

Plus, did you know that it can also be good for your blood sugar levels to have a little mid-afternoon graze? So no need to feel guilty either, folks!

Here, we’re sharing with you a recipe that is not only simple and easy, but is super healthy as well!

K8ljHjAeXg5KnBX0x_i4X8AROHXCmsWEvtavRR_U1oDW2M_Ukht5wUXNvoc5-_lAqfRf_7t8Atz2JDXUHNpBX2hZEcRivOvdJOh7LUQrv_h5U_toFs3fLqitIQGXEDHDseSS7t4a

The muffins are made from vegetables and are ‘packed with protein’. Credit: Instagram/@nourish_naturally.

Rebecca Gawthorne, a dietitian from Sydney, shared her recipe for the perfect delicious snack that will surely keep you energised throughout the day and in-between meals.

Her healthy veggie muffins are said to be “packed with protein”, so aside from the nutrients you’re going to get from the vegetables, you’re also going to get extra energy for an afternoonpick-me-up.

Here are the ingredients you will need:
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 cup baby spinach leaves (finely chopped)
  • ¼ cup canned corn
  • ¼ cup canned peas
  • 1 cup grated cheese
  • ¼ cup greek yoghurt
  • ½ cup plant milk of choice (I used soy milk)
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups plain wholemeal flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder

And here’s how she did it:

First, preheat your oven to 180°C. Then prepare your muffin tin by lining it with a no-stick cooking spray.

Now it’s time to prepare the “batter”. Grate the zucchini and carrot into small strips and squeeze out to remove the excess liquid. Then in a large mixing bowl, combine the grated zucchini and carrot with corn, peas, cheese, spinach, eggs, olive oil, yoghurt and milk.

Add the flour and baking powder to the wet ingredients and gently fold the mixture, until thoroughly combined.

Using a spatula, transfer the mixture into each muffin cup on the tray. Then bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

To check if it’s done, try sticking a toothpick into the centre and if it comes out clean, the muffin is cooked already.

The number of ingredients would make around 12 regular sized muffins, so you may want to cut it in half if you’re only making these for yourself.

Now you can just pop one of these muffins out whenever you need a quick healthy snack!

If you’re looking for other healthy muffin recipes, why not check out the video tutorial below?

Credit: El Mundo Eats.

Unless you are using an electric food grater I would recommend that you turn the oven on half way through, can't afford to have the oven wasting power.

Reactions: Ricci
These sound yummy. Personally I would make a large batch so you don't have parts of tins of peas and corn left over. I can't see why you couldn't make a big batch and freeze them. I used to always freeze muffins in the days when I was still doing school lunches for four kids plus hubby.

Reactions: Sierra040