Mental health expert reveals the ultimate key to happiness

In the quest for happiness, many have turned to to self-help books, meditation apps, or even major life changes in the hope of finding that sense of contentment.

But according to Stella Ladikos, a Sydney-based Therapist, the answer may be much simpler and closer to home than we think.

Ladikos emphasised the importance of human connection in our pursuit of happiness.

'We're a social species. We're not meant to operate in isolation,' she explained.

'Positive relationships foster happiness and protect us from going down depressive rabbit holes.'

SDC 3.png
A therapist has revealed that having strong relationships is crucial for a person’s health and well-being. Image source: Freepik.

This advice is supported by an 85-year-long study conducted by Harvard University, which found that close relationships and social connections are crucial for well-being as people age.

The study revealed that individuals with strong relationships showed lower rates of chronic conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, and cognitive decline.

Harvard also discovered that close friendships shielded individuals from mental and physical deterioration and provided a more accurate predictor of life expectancy than IQ, social class, or genetics.

This underscored the importance of fostering a supportive community to reduce the likelihood of relapsing into episodes of depression or anxiety.

'It doesn't matter if it's your family, friends, or colleagues—relationships have a massive impact on your life,' Ladikos said.

'You need to make an effort to get involved and connect with your loved ones.'

'Be it by volunteering, playing sport, or something else—you need to be in supportive spaces regularly.'

To help foster positive relationships, Ladikos suggested joining community groups or taking up a hobby with a social group.

Regular catch-ups, even if not always possible, can help maintain connections.

She also emphasised the importance of checking in with friends often, really listening to them, and showing that you care.

While positive relationships can significantly enhance our happiness and well-being, Ladikos warned that toxic relationships can have the opposite effect.

'If someone in your life is toxic, constantly pushes your boundaries, and doesn't respect you—it increases your stress levels,' she explained.

'That impacts your sleep, appetite, performance at work, and even your immune system.'

Knowing when to pull away from harmful relationships is crucial.

'You shouldn't have relationships with people where your needs aren't being met because it doesn't add value to your life,' Ladikos advised.

'If you have a friend you can't trust, you have nothing in common anymore, but you're holding on because you've known each other for years—you need to reconsider that relationship.'

Interestingly, Ladikos also pointed out that the relentless pursuit of happiness can sometimes lead to more suffering.

'If you're so focused on being happy, you try to diminish or deflect yourself from negative thoughts and feelings.'

'For example, if you're anxious and you're avoiding your emotions instead of facing it head on, it can fester and cause more problems.'

'The relentless pursuit of happiness by trying to eliminate negativity instead of fostering a positive and supportive community can be exhausting.'
Key Takeaways

• Australian Therapist Stella Ladikos has revealed that fostering positive relationships is the key to happiness and longevity, as supported by Harvard's 85-year study on adult life.
  • Positive relationships with friends and family can lead to lower rates of chronic conditions and can protect people against mental health declines such as depression and anxiety.
  • As people age, close relationships become crucial for well-being and contribute to general health and happiness.
  • It’s also important to recognise when to distance oneself from harmful relationships, as toxic connections can negatively impact stress levels, sleep, work performance, and the immune system.
What are your thoughts on this revelation? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Easier said than done.
People's situations are all different.
Speaking for myself, I much prefer the company of family than friends. To be honest, I have numbers of people I know, however, very few friends. Some have passed on, some have faded away. It is the way of things.
As far as community is concerned, I would hazard a guess that a lot of folk would know nothing about their neighbours, and others wish they didn't have neighbours. The world is moving too fast. Not much talking from fence to fence anymore unfortunately.
The happiest memories I hold dear, apart from the 2 boys and 4 grandchildren, are of the years with our pets. The love and loyalty offered by our dogs over the years has been a source of comfort for both of us.
As you age, the care you have given others over the years becomes a distant memory to some. They get on with their own lives, as they should. My belief is that you lose the will to move forward with any gusto when you no longer have someone or something in your life that you can shower with love and attention.
We are getting 2 puppies very soon. I reckon they will be enough to keep us active and engaged for years to come.

I’m sure the fact that having “people”, “pets”, in your life for company and friendship helps to stop loneliness, depression which can lead to mental health issues, isolation, and many other forms of mental or physical deterioration has been common knowledge for as long as I can remember. While I enjoy the company of family and friends I also enjoy having some time on my own.

When l look at two of my sons -in-law & see the great association they have with both parents & how calm they always are l have to admire them. They have instilled this same presence in their children.

My home environment was completely opposite & unfortunately most of that antagonism came with me & together with emotional problems caused by life at home, life wasn't easy for my daughters. Fortunately they have been able to leave this behind when they left home. I'm not proud of that & will admit that my wife has had a calming influence on me, having come from a quiet household too.

Only in the last 6 years have we started to form friendships with seniors because we joined a club & we both have our leisure activities now. Entertaining has never been a part of our lifestyle either.

We don't see much of family now because they all work & have children, 3 who are now working & 2 at school but we catch up on birthdays or via phone.

I remember a time when I was chasing after external sources of joy, only to realize that true contentment comes from within. Stella Ladikos' perspective resonates deeply. By the way, have you ever considered how working from home might impact mental health? I came across some insightful articles on that topic recently at https://fherehab.com/ . It's all about finding balance and embracing the little moments that bring us joy.