SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Maddie Recommends... The Silent Patient By Alex Michaelides

The Silent Patient By Alex Michaelides

This book is a time-stopper. I could not put it down. I picked it up at about 4pm on Sunday afternoon feeling a little bored. Before I knew it, it was 10pm... I don't usually read thrillers (I scare easily) but this psychological thriller was different. I was never scared, I was just so engrossed I needed to know what happened in the end.

I'm giving this book a 4.2 out of 5 mostly because I'm a bit worried about my first book recommendation being a 5 out of 5. Ha! Also goes to show you should try read outside of your normal genre every now and then.

Ps. Sorry if I'm late to the party on this one, like I said I would never usually read thrillers. A friend of mine insisted I MUST read it and gave me a copy, so I really had no choice ;)

To learn more about this book, this is what the website 'Good Reads' has to say about it:

"Alicia Berenson’s life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand house with big windows overlooking a park in one of London’s most desirable areas. One evening her husband Gabriel returns home late from a fashion shoot, and Alicia shoots him five times in the face, and then never speaks another word.

Alicia’s refusal to talk, or give any kind of explanation, turns a domestic tragedy into something far grander, a mystery that captures the public imagination and casts Alicia into notoriety. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the tabloids and spotlight at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London.

Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alicia. His determination to get her to talk and unravel the mystery of why she shot her husband takes him down a twisting path into his own motivations—a search for the truth that threatens to consume him...."

15194504265758.jpg

Do you have a book recommendation? Post the books title and a little about it in this thread here - https://seniorsdiscountclub.com.au/forums/sdc-book-recommendations.25/. We can all read each others books and talk about them!

Reactions: Chris
Lee Childs, John Birmingham, Matthew Reilly, and Jon Cleary are all great authors that I recommend. But I am sure my husband would berate me for not including WEB Griffin.

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
I love the idea of a book club. During lockdown I read so many books I’ve forgotten most, but I found some real gems amongst these authors: Elizabeth George, Ann Cleeves, Jane Harper, Richard Osman, Trent Dalton, Anthony Doerr and Niall Williams.📚

The Silent Patient By Alex Michaelides

This book is a time-stopper. I could not put it down. I picked it up at about 4pm on Sunday afternoon feeling a little bored. Before I knew it, it was 10pm... I don't usually read thrillers (I scare easily) but this psychological thriller was different. I was never scared, I was just so engrossed I needed to know what happened in the end.

I'm giving this book a 4.2 out of 5 mostly because I'm a bit worried about my first book recommendation being a 5 out of 5. Ha! Also goes to show you should try read outside of your normal genre every now and then.

Ps. Sorry if I'm late to the party on this one, like I said I would never usually read thrillers. A friend of mine insisted I MUST read it and gave me a copy, so I really had no choice ;)

To learn more about this book, this is what the website 'Good Reads' has to say about it:

"Alicia Berenson’s life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand house with big windows overlooking a park in one of London’s most desirable areas. One evening her husband Gabriel returns home late from a fashion shoot, and Alicia shoots him five times in the face, and then never speaks another word.

Alicia’s refusal to talk, or give any kind of explanation, turns a domestic tragedy into something far grander, a mystery that captures the public imagination and casts Alicia into notoriety. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the tabloids and spotlight at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London.

Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alicia. His determination to get her to talk and unravel the mystery of why she shot her husband takes him down a twisting path into his own motivations—a search for the truth that threatens to consume him...."

View attachment 2459

Do you have a book recommendation? Post the books title and a little about it in this thread here - https://seniorsdiscountclub.com.au/forums/sdc-book-recommendations.25/. We can all read each others books and talk about them!
I really enjoyed this thriller and was stunned by the twist at the end. It’s the type of book that makes you want to read again to find what you missed the first time. Thanks for the recommendation Maddie 😊

• Love
Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
@GrannySue I am so glad to hear that you liked it! The twist is incredible, isn't it! What book are you onto now? I have just started reading "It ends with us" by Colleen Hoover, it's taking me a little while to get into it though, so I'm not too sure how I feel about it but a friend of mine recommended it!

@GrannySue I am so glad to hear that you liked it! The twist is incredible, isn't it! What book are you onto now? I have just started reading "It ends with us" by Colleen Hoover, it's taking me a little while to get into it though, so I'm not too sure how I feel about it but a friend of mine recommended it!
I’ve read that too Maddie and really enjoyed it. Colleen has a few good reads going at the moment. Currently reading for the third time Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr..a really beautiful read which I can’t get enough of. 😊

I’ve read that too Maddie and really enjoyed it. Colleen has a few good reads going at the moment. Currently reading for the third time Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr..a really beautiful read which I can’t get enough of. 😊
@GrannySue I was reading it last night and just got to THAT part with Ryle in the kitchen after they had drank a fair bit of wine and my heart shattered... The whole time reading up until that point everything felt a bit 'dreamy' and 'too good to be true' now I understand why and cannot put it down!

Thank you for the recommendation, I might check out Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr next :)

Reactions: GrannySue