Kmart unveils stylish and affordable homeware collection by Indigenous artist

As the leaves turn and the air cools, it's the perfect time to refresh your home with a touch of warmth and style.

And what better way to do so than with a range of homewares that look fabulous and are also incredibly affordable?

Kmart Australia has just unveiled a new collection that's causing quite a stir among savvy shoppers, and it's easy to see why.

The Mudyin Ngurrawa Collection, which translates to 'Family on Country' in Dharug, is a vibrant and culturally rich range of homewares that won't break the bank, with every item priced under $30.

Designed by the talented Dharug and Darkinjung artist Kyralee Shields, this collection celebrates Indigenous artistry and modern design.

Kyralee's work is a stunning blend of her ‘identity, culture, spirituality, and relationship to [her] country’.

photo (13).jpg
Kmart released a new homewares collection called Mudyin Ngurrawa by Indigenous artist Kyralee Shields, with all items priced below $30. Credits: Kmart Australia

The artwork is a visual narrative of her family, heritage, and homeland, featuring elements such as native bottle brushes, yam daisies, mountains, and rivers.

Each dot, line, and circle at the heart of the design symbolises Kyralee herself, her children, mother, grandmothers, ancestors, and their enduring bond.

The Mudyin Ngurrawa Collection brings this artwork to life across a range of homewares that are as practical as they are beautiful.

From serving ware and linen to candles and quilt sets, each piece is adorned with the collection's signature pastel pink, gum leaf green, and earthy orange tones.

Imagine setting your table with the Mudyin Ngurrawa Enamel Bowl ($18) and matching Mudyin Ngurrawa Enamel Tray ($25), or adding a pop of colour with 4 Pack Mudyin Ngurrawa Napkins ($5).

The Mudyin Ngurrawa Tablecloth ($14) and chic Mudyin Ngurrawa Wood Serve Board ($12) are perfect for entertaining, while the set of 2 Mudyin Ngurrawa Mugs ($10) and a 3 Pack Mudyin Ngurrawa Tea Towels ($12) offer everyday style.

However, the collection isn't just about looks. The Wildflowers Soy Blend Fragrant Candle or Mountains Soy Blend Fragrant Candle, priced at $14 each, come in decorated gold tins with wood wicks that crackle like a fire when lit, filling your home with the sumptuous scents of the country.

And for those looking to add a touch of greenery, the eye-catching decorative Mudyin Ngurrawa Pot is a steal at just $12.

The standout piece, however, has been the Mudyin Ngurrawa Reversible Quilt Cover Set—Queen Bed ($20) and Mudyin Ngurrawa Reversible Quilt Cover Set—King Bed ($24), which include a duvet cover and two pillowcases.

They were so popular that they sold out online almost immediately, though some lucky shoppers have found them in-store where stock is limited.

The response from customers has been overwhelmingly positive, with many taking to social media to share their excitement.

‘I just purchased mine—I love it, too, and I'm not a pink lover but I made an exception as it was so lovely,' said one home stylist.

Others were eagerly awaiting restocks, with one customer saying, ‘Impatiently waiting for it to come to either of my stores or online. Have everything else except the cover, even used the napkins to cover my lamps to match when I get it.’

‘I've got that tray and the bowl. That looks absolutely beautiful,’ another shared.

Someone else added, ‘My mum is indigenous, so I'll be buying this entire set for her.’

For Kyralee Shields, working with Kmart to bring her art to a wider audience was ‘a dream come true’.

‘It's allowed me to work with a brand I grew up with that provides quality, on-trend products that are accessible to a wide demographic. It has enabled me to share my art with a wider audience while working with a forward-thinking chain,’ she said.

‘Having a brand like Kmart support First Nations artists provides broad exposure to our culture and heritage through art and storylines within the evolving contemporary style, which is important to me.’

‘It's been so gratifying to work on this project with such a wonderful team of people. It's also been enlightening to see all the different aspects that took my original painting through to the completion of this incredible range that now line Kmart's shelves,’ she added.

If you're looking to give your home a stylish upgrade without breaking the bank, Kmart Australia's latest homeware collection has you covered.

From chic decor pieces to practical gadgets, Kmart's offerings are sure to enhance any living space.

With such exciting options available, it's the perfect time to spruce up your home with Kmart's latest offerings, ensuring both style and savings.
Key Takeaways
  • Kmart launched a new homewares collection called Mudyin Ngurrawa, designed by Indigenous artist Kyralee Shields, with every item priced under $30.
  • The collection, which translates to 'Family on Country' in the Dharug language, features a range of items including serveware, linen, candles, a plant pot, quilt sets, and a canvas art print.
  • The artwork incorporated in the collection reflects Kyralee's identity, culture, spirituality, and connection to country, and is made up of symbols representing her family, heritage, and homeland.
  • Shoppers have expressed excitement about the collection, with particular items selling out quickly, demonstrating a keen interest in products that showcase Indigenous art and storytelling.
What are your thoughts on Kmart’s Mudyin Ngurrawa collection? Which item is your favourite? Share your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored