Kmart dollhouse includes alarming detail for parents: ‘I’d rather be safe’

Children's toys are often seen as a haven for exploration. After all, it's a way for kids to play and fuel their imaginations.

However, a recent dollhouse issue sparked a heated debate among parents and raised concerns about what toys can convey to young ones.

A mum named Simone found a tiny weighing scale in the Six-piece Wooden Dollhouse Bathroom set she purchased from Kmart for her daughter.

The concerned mum took to social media to express her dismay.

'Probably not gonna teach my little girl she needs scales in her bathroom Kmart,' she wrote.

'It went in the bin,' she added on the video's caption.

compressed-kmart (1).jpeg
Simone shared her shock about the Kmart toy set on social media. Image Credit: TikTok/simonenavybox

The video sparked a conversation about body image and the pressures that can begin in childhood.

Some commenters on the video praised the mother for taking a stand.

'Thank you! A lot of people think it's not that serious, but I'd rather be safe than ruin my kids' teenage years,' one parent wrote.

'It does start at home.'

'Personally, my family never kept a scale & the only time one was ever in our home, my sister bought it during her first severe battle with her eating disorder,' another user echoed the sentiment.

On the flip side, some argue that the presence of scales is not an issue but the context in which they were introduced.

'Healthy association with scales is better than avoiding them!' one commenter suggested.

'This is so true. Make her aware of what a scale is and how we use it to measure how big our bodies are getting!' another person wrote.

'Sometimes we use them to ensure we're healthy, but they're mostly just numbers!'

Some shoppers found humour and alternative uses for the scales.

'My daughter uses it as a toilet lid,' one wrote.

'Put it on the wall and tell her it's a digital clock,' another jested.

These reactions highlight a growing concern among parents and caregivers about the potential impact of toys on children's mental health and self-esteem.

It's important to remember that support is available for those dealing with eating disorders and body image issues.

Organisations like the Butterfly Foundation offer confidential support through their national hotline at 1-800-33-4673.

Staying informed is essential as we navigate the ever-evolving landscape of children's toys.

Engage in conversations about the values we want to instil in our grandchildren.
Key Takeaways

• A mother criticised Kmart for including a tiny scale in a dollhouse bathroom set, which could negatively influence body image.
  • The video that discussed the issue garnered nearly 3 million views, triggering a debate in the comments section.
  • Some commenters supported the mother's decision, citing concerns about eating disorders and its impact on children's self-esteem.
  • Others argued for teaching a healthy association with scales, while some responses also included humorous or alternative perspectives on using the toy scale.
Have you encountered similar issues with toys? How do you approach these topics with your grandchildren? Share your insights with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I clearly recall you labelled @DLHM a "snob" several weeks ago for never having stepped into an Aldi store.

News for you. Last Sunday, I introduced her to an Aldi store in Perth's southern suburbs. She even purchased some items!

I hope you are suitably pleased.... :ROFLMAO:
I’ve never been in an Aldis store either does that make me a snob🙀

I clearly recall you labelled @DLHM a "snob" several weeks ago for never having stepped into an Aldi store.

News for you. Last Sunday, I introduced her to an Aldi store in Perth's southern suburbs. She even purchased some items!

I hope you are suitably pleased.... :ROFLMAO:
i am over the moon.

Nothing like a bit of sarcasm. But that’s ok by me. 😊 Too bad you misinterpreted what I was saying in the first place instead of getting defensive. Makes you look foolish. But if that’s what makes you happy, it’s no skin off my nose.
People on here are good at misinterpretating on here I’ve just experienced it over something I said tongue in cheek. 😎

Nothing like a bit of sarcasm. But that’s ok by me. 😊 Too bad you misinterpreted what I was saying in the first place instead of getting defensive. Makes you look foolish. But if that’s what makes you happy, it’s no skin off my nose.
would you and your mate please refrain by not replying? when this is not face to face i find it childish. yawn again.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Hear hear I’m with you and dlhm on this i also will. brothers and sisters in arms.😎
Thank you! As being one of the best forum members on SDC, your support is fully appreciated.

You know that I will protect other SDC members who are bullied, belittled or abused, at the expense of my membership being cancelled.

On principle.

• Love
Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
would you and your mate please refrain by not replying? when this is not face to face i find it childish. yawn again.
I’ll reply to whatever I choose. You can choose to ignore my comments so my comments will not be visible to you. It’s easy enough to do, that way you won’t be bothered by what I say. 😀
The SDC is not a face-to-face forum, but I have no problem with facing people with my comments.