Katrina Blowers posts tear-jerking tribute for mother

It's hard to face loss, especially when it involves a slow, life-draining disease.

Channel 7 Queensland's beloved presenter, Katrina Blowers shared a profound and sorrowful update, which tugged heartstrings among her followers and supporters.

After her mother Elizabeth Barnes’s passing, the anchor took to social media and posted a heartfelt tribute.

The post included photos that captured Barnes' life and the indelible mark she left on those around her.

'On Saturday, we said goodbye to our mum. It was heartbreaking and gruelling but also powerful and amazing,' Katrina wrote in a post she shared Tuesday morning—a raw and honest reflection of the family's grief.

compressed-photo_20240508_082344_0000.jpeg
Katrina Blowers shared images of her and her mum, Elizabeth Barnes. Image Credits: Instagram/Katrina Blowers

Katrina's words painted a picture of a woman who, despite her diagnosis, remained an optimist and refused to acknowledge the limitations imposed by motor neuron disease (MND).

'It was heartbreaking and gruelling but also powerful and amazing.

Week by week, it robbed her. First of her speech, then her movement, then her ability to swallow and finally her capacity to breathe.'

The agony of watching her mother's decline was palpable.

Yet, she also spoke of the awe-inspiring strength of spirit and courage her mother showed and how it drew profound love and support.

Elizabeth Barnes's life was of service and compassion as a healthcare worker.

'She was the cliche of a bossy but caring midwife, then senior nurse. Her bossiness wasn't so welcome at home, let me tell you, but I've lost track of the times her former patients or mentees have contacted me with stories about the depth of compassion Mum showed them and how she changed their lives,' Katrina further wrote.

She also recalled her mother as a friend who would go out of her way to help others.

In her tribute, Katrina also expressed her frustration and anger towards her mum's disease.

Motor Neuron Disease (MND) was described as 'untreatable and incurable', and took Barnes' golden years away.

'For a so-called 'rare' disease, I've seen it impact far too many lives around me,' she lamented.

In memory of Elizabeth Barnes, the family has set up a donation page for MND Queensland to fund their research, hoping researchers will hit a breakthrough.

Katrina believed her mother would have been pleased to continue making a positive difference even after her passing.

The outpouring of support from Katrina's followers was heartfelt.

Many shared their condolences and echoed the sentiment that Barnes' legacy was one of beauty and profound influence.

MND Australia explained that the disease causes damage to motor neurons, leading to muscle weakness and atrophy.

Motor neuron disease remains a formidable adversary, but researchers are finding ways to treat the disease.

In a recent article, a South Australian grandmother participated in a trial for MND treatment.

The treatment involved pills fixing broken links between neurons that may repair movement and speech damage.

If trials serve to be successful, the treatment can potentially benefit patients with Alzheimer's or Schizophrenia.
Key Takeaways

• Seven anchor Katrina Blowers shared an emotional tribute to her mother, who passed away due to motor neuron disease (MND).
  • Blowers reflected on her mother's life, her dedication to service as a nurse, and her impact on others.
  • She expressed anger at the injustice of MND, highlighting the disease's rapid progression and the need for a breakthrough in research.
  • A donation page was set up in memory of Blowers' mother to fund MND research and support.
Our hearts go out to Katrina Blowers and to those touched by the unforgiving nature of motor neuron disease.

Sponsored
It is a very cruel and frustrating disease.
My Mum passed away 27yrs ago with it.
Id never heard of it until Mum diagnosed then within a few yrs 3 others in riverina area diagnosed.
Now there is far too many that are getting diagnosed and its scary.

I, too, have witnessed this awful disease having lost my Mother and one of my Brothers to it. I don't know if its because people are becoming more aware of it or because it is becoming more common but there have been so many cases diagnosed over the last few years. It's an insidious, debilitating disease which is absolutely heartbreaking to see happening to a loved one. I pray to God that they find a cure soon.
I might add here that we had so much support from MND NSW and New Zealand, they were absolutely fantastic in all they did and all they supplied to my loved ones and I will always support them in their fundraising for research and equipment.

My brother-in-law, God rest his soul, passed a couple of years ago. You could see monthly how this insidious disease stripped him of his life. In hospital being treated for a lung condition after five years of living hell he made the ultimate decision, and he left this earthly plane, he could not carry on any longer. The man was a bastion of strength and character and left behind his wife and three daughters. Today I bought my Big Freeze beanie, please get yours from either Bunnings or Coles. If not, please make a donation to MND and Me in Queensland. There are scientists and researchers all over Australia racing against the clock to find a cure, Godspeed to you all.

My brother-in-law, God rest his soul, passed a couple of years ago. You could see monthly how this insidious disease stripped him of his life. In hospital being treated for a lung condition after five years of living hell he made the ultimate decision, and he left this earthly plane, he could not carry on any longer. The man was a bastion of strength and character and left behind his wife and three daughters. Today I bought my Big Freeze beanie, please get yours from either Bunnings or Coles. If not, please make a donation to MND and Me in Queensland. There are scientists and researchers all over Australia racing against the clock to find a cure, Godspeed to you all.
After fighting and beating two cancers and suffering now with brain tumors I still find people worse off than me, those are the ones I feel sorry and have my deepest sympathies for and feel a helplessness in that only ai can do is pray for them.