Is ALDI’s Bauhn TV or soundbar worth it? Here’s what the experts think

If you’re a frequent ALDI shopper, then chances are you’ve already heard about the latest tech pair that it’ll be holding an exciting promotion for.

Starting on 24 September, the budget retailer will feature a 65-inch 4K high-definition TV for $669 and a 2.1 channel soundbar with a 40-watt built-in subwoofer for $129 as part of its Special Buys sale.

But let’s face it – $669 and $129 for two new gadgets are sufficient to make anyone’s wallet noticeably lighter. If you factor in the countless price hikes in recent weeks, the last thing you’d want to feel after making such a purchase is buyer’s remorse.

So is the entertainment set worth our hard-earned money? Fortunately, two TV experts from CHOICE took one for the team and put previous TVs and soundbars from ALDI to the test… Spoiler alert! As much as we normally love Aldi, you’re better off without them.

0VvrqpUvUInOIrC62dFrPZCrK2fe9Db53owcRuqDG_s8-sc43ytzyVpRjGIAvnl_ZaunaCWNqQWGLyrVeffGu1fCQt34jPBtvhpQmfRmIBWJ83yZPLh2NeE-UtQ_RlXaxYbJbQ9mkQWn11KvO3WzjEEvDKUDamVRedCzaw3b4XNaTc-sV8IXvLY30Q

ALDI’s Special Buys include a Bauhn TV and soundbar. Source: ALDI

Why buying the TV is a bad idea

We’re not going to deny that some ALDI products are good value for money. A few on the list include its ski gear and grocery staples – but when it comes to electronics, ALDI doesn’t exactly have a sterling record.

The CHOICE experts tested a wide range of Bauhn TVs and soundbars before and they found one thing to be consistent – all the TVs received average scores. We deserve better than that!

TV expert Dennis Gallagher said: ‘Previous test results have ranged from mediocre to poor, so there's a lot of room for improvement.’

‘CHOICE recently tested an Aldi Bauhn TV that operates in the same way as another LG TV we tested last year… But it's not the same quality. The LCD panel and the processor aren't as fast as the LG TVs, which is the reason why it received a low score.’

RQfyxQorSNdKHy3IYBzAMy-hb_fEGQ1OGHqktwc1qMdU2kHBhZqGn8SUIzd6fpc1eGpL4bjPg2CuLDY6stjOBOJEJk1FUXaHaE4j3FzRSy3o1HCaMmw-zYaA1T9PX0XEjPdyLqdXJIIEajS8HJrWwIPUmpBb7VykcIkuC04I43VyNTOgI2eAwOaahg

ALDI’s previous TVs failed to impress the experts. Source: Bauhn

‘ALDI has now partnered with Samsung in a similar way to LG to produce this TV as a Special Buy for sale this weekend.’

‘While the Samsung operating system may improve the experience and ease of use, it's still a Bauhn TV, so I wouldn't expect the video quality to be dramatically different from the other Bauhn TVs we have seen.’ he continued.

To add insult to injury, four of the five worst performers in CHOICE’s TV-related tests were Bauhn TVs.

‘So far, we haven't seen a Bauhn TV that has performed well.’ Gallagher added.

‘Of course, that can change with new models–we've seen that with other brands–but despite the undeniably low price, shoppers should be careful when considering these bargain models, especially if you love your movies or shows and want a great experience.’

eM8J_A7g3lhUL5KGzdP-2UUeEzg1JwUXJ0XIk7QK4BphkXGDrObe5k_cUp8waJHbRVVdJx7_mlgAl02RDjUS9f86xpNXudztuqaNWmYmube4mBVmlGNAGYflMa98j1s-zPl4Hn25vsrh3QshEG1C7rN1j0gpJ2Tdh6EBrQ4yWgC9zyozhUJp-AaVgA

Are the soundbars worth it? Source: CHOICE

How about ALDI’s soundbars?

Unfortunately… We only have more bad news to deliver. While ALDI’s TVs received average scores, its soundbars performed much worse.

‘A previous Bauhn soundbar we reviewed was the worst in the test group by a long shot, scoring under 50 per cent,’ Gallagher revealed.

‘Its scores for stereo and multichannel listening were some of the poorest I've ever seen. It was the cheapest model in the test, but with scores like that, I won’t recommend it.’

The most recent Bauhn soundbar they tested, a 5.1 channel soundbar with sub and rear speakers, only scored 67 per cent.

Maybe it’s best to stick to grabbing grocery deals from ALDI for the time being. Sorry, ALDI!

What are your thoughts about ALDI’s electronics? Have you ever purchased a Bauhn TV or soundbar? If so, feel free to share your review with us in the comments! We’d love to hear from you.

Watch another shopper review a Bauhn TV below:

Source: EFTMOnline

Sponsored
My name is terry,
I have been buying Aldi television's
for several years , there are 3 different size's in my home along with a sound bar, I am more than pleased. I purchased a top brand , many years ago it was nothing more than a pig in a poke .

A timely article, I as looking to replace my tv and had seen these items advertised and wondered about them. I won't be rushing out to buy them now, I think I'll wait and save up a bit more!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and JayKay
This is a little unfair as the test results cited are on older products, not the current release TV's and Soundbars. I have 2 different ALDI soundbars in my house and they give excellent results. With Choice using old test results to give advice on new products, you have to question their validity as a reliable source of information.

I used to have some Aldi tvs and was always very happy, and their computers/tablets/laptops were excellent!!! so I bought the soundbar and was very disappointed! It s now sitting unused in a corner, as the sound of the tv itself is better!!
I think originally Aldi products were produced in different countries. Nowadays they are made in China, Taiwan, etc. and since then their priducts are the same quality as other cheapies from Kogan, MyDeal etc

Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
Over a period of some years, I've tried 5 Bauhn TVs from Aldi.
When I got the first one, the picture was fuzzy, as if it was out of focus.
Aldi replaced it, but it was also faulty. If I recorded a program and watched it later, I'd fast forward the ads.
However, the program would fast forward in clumps of segments, rather than just one lot of ads, and I had no control over how much it would jump ahead.
Returned that too.
I bought another one some time later.
This TV also had the same problem as the second one....using the remote for fast forwarding the ads..
The fourth try, the picture was fuzzy.
The fifth try, there was NO sound.
I promised myself I would not try another one, no matter how tempting.
So I still have no TV.
The good thing with Aldi is you get 60 days to return a product for a full refund, so you get a fair amount of time to work out if your product meets your expectations. They usually have a 12 month warranty on their products, too.

If you’re a frequent ALDI shopper, then chances are you’ve already heard about the latest tech pair that it’ll be holding an exciting promotion for.

Starting on 24 September, the budget retailer will feature a 65-inch 4K high-definition TV for $669 and a 2.1 channel soundbar with a 40-watt built-in subwoofer for $129 as part of its Special Buys sale.

But let’s face it – $669 and $129 for two new gadgets are sufficient to make anyone’s wallet noticeably lighter. If you factor in the countless price hikes in recent weeks, the last thing you’d want to feel after making such a purchase is buyer’s remorse.

So is the entertainment set worth our hard-earned money? Fortunately, two TV experts from CHOICE took one for the team and put previous TVs and soundbars from ALDI to the test… Spoiler alert! As much as we normally love Aldi, you’re better off without them.

0VvrqpUvUInOIrC62dFrPZCrK2fe9Db53owcRuqDG_s8-sc43ytzyVpRjGIAvnl_ZaunaCWNqQWGLyrVeffGu1fCQt34jPBtvhpQmfRmIBWJ83yZPLh2NeE-UtQ_RlXaxYbJbQ9mkQWn11KvO3WzjEEvDKUDamVRedCzaw3b4XNaTc-sV8IXvLY30Q

We’re not going to deny that some ALDI products are good value for money. A few on the list include its ski gear and grocery staples – but when it comes to electronics, ALDI doesn’t exactly have a sterling record.

The CHOICE experts tested a wide range of Bauhn TVs and soundbars before and they found one thing to be consistent – all the TVs received average scores. We deserve better than that!

TV expert Dennis Gallagher said: ‘Previous test results have ranged from mediocre to poor, so there's a lot of room for improvement.’

‘CHOICE recently tested an Aldi Bauhn TV that operates in the same way as another LG TV we tested last year… But it's not the same quality. The LCD panel and the processor aren't as fast as the LG TVs, which is the reason why it received a low score.’

RQfyxQorSNdKHy3IYBzAMy-hb_fEGQ1OGHqktwc1qMdU2kHBhZqGn8SUIzd6fpc1eGpL4bjPg2CuLDY6stjOBOJEJk1FUXaHaE4j3FzRSy3o1HCaMmw-zYaA1T9PX0XEjPdyLqdXJIIEajS8HJrWwIPUmpBb7VykcIkuC04I43VyNTOgI2eAwOaahg

‘ALDI has now partnered with Samsung in a similar way to LG to produce this TV as a Special Buy for sale this weekend.’

‘While the Samsung operating system may improve the experience and ease of use, it's still a Bauhn TV, so I wouldn't expect the video quality to be dramatically different from the other Bauhn TVs we have seen.’ he continued.

To add insult to injury, four of the five worst performers in CHOICE’s TV-related tests were Bauhn TVs.

‘Of course, that can change with new models–we've seen that with other brands–but despite the undeniably low price, shoppers should be careful when considering these bargain models, especially if you love your movies or shows and want a great experience.’

eM8J_A7g3lhUL5KGzdP-2UUeEzg1JwUXJ0XIk7QK4BphkXGDrObe5k_cUp8waJHbRVVdJx7_mlgAl02RDjUS9f86xpNXudztuqaNWmYmube4mBVmlGNAGYflMa98j1s-zPl4Hn25vsrh3QshEG1C7rN1j0gpJ2Tdh6EBrQ4yWgC9zyozhUJp-AaVgA

Unfortunately… We only have more bad news to deliver. While ALDI’s TVs received average scores, its soundbars performed much worse.

‘A previous Bauhn soundbar we reviewed was the worst in the test group by a long shot, scoring under 50 per cent,’ Gallagher revealed.

‘Its scores for stereo and multichannel listening were some of the poorest I've ever seen. It was the cheapest model in the test, but with scores like that, I won’t recommend it.’

The most recent Bauhn soundbar they tested, a 5.1 channel soundbar with sub and rear speakers, only scored 67 per cent.

Maybe it’s best to stick to grabbing grocery deals from ALDI for the time being. Sorry, ALDI!

What are your thoughts about ALDI’s electronics? Have you ever purchased a Bauhn TV or soundbar? If so, feel free to share your review with us in the comments! We’d love to hear from you.

Had a Bauhn 55" for 5 years and could not have been happier with it.
Gave it to my grandson as I was moving and wanted a new TV that had Kayo inbuilt, which the model I had didn't have this feature,

I agree with most purchasers of Aldi TV , I had a 50" inch one that lasted over 10 years and that including living 300m from the ocean for 5 of them. Salt air is supposed to damage them. Not from my experience. I have since moved and purchased another TV. Yes, you guessed it, from Aldi. As a senior, I don't want all the gizmo's, but very happy with my smart TV, it's get all the internet/Netflix etc stuff that I need. I strongly disagree with Choice's finding.

Soundbars are just a ploy to suck more money from the customer, they don’t make much difference in your average room!!

Reactions: Ricci