Homeowners warn about 'lurking dangers' brought by carpeted floors

For many of us, our homes are our sanctuaries.

We take pride in keeping them clean and comfortable, often investing in features that add to their cosiness and appeal.

One such feature that is a staple in many Australian homes is carpeting. It's soft underfoot, provides insulation, and adds a touch of luxury.

Before you snuggle up on that plush pile, you should hear what one mum said about those fibres.

A Queensland mum revealed that despite regular vacuuming, she discovered an astonishing amount of filth hidden beneath the floor's surface.

The mum—who had two dogs, a cat, and a toddler in tow— shared that her recently installed carpets became a hotbed for dirt, dust, hair, and animal fur.

The eye-opening experience began after she purchased a Tineco CARPET ONE PRO Shampooer (Originally $999, sale price $499) from Godfrey's as she took advantage of a significant discount.

compressed-photo_20240503_095133_0000.jpeg
An Aussie mom shared her findings after cleaning her carpeted flooring. Image Credit: Facebook/Mums Who Clean

After putting the machine to work, she shared images of the dirt collected from her seemingly clean carpets on social media.

'I'm super impressed using it on the automatic function,' she wrote in a post.

'Plus, it has a drying feature which sucks up excess water and pumps out heat,' she added—as damp carpets can be a breeding ground for mould.

While it's recommended to have carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year, this mum's experience highlights the importance of frequent deep cleaning.

Using a steam cleaner every week or fortnight can help maintain a cleaner home environment, especially for those with pets and young children.

What if professional cleaning services are out of reach?

Another mum shared her DIY approach to keeping carpets fresh.

She shared her carpet sprinkle recipe using bicarb soda and her favourite essential oil.

'Much cheaper than a container of carpet sprinkle that only usually does me one run,' she said.

This homemade mixture can be sprinkled over carpets, left for 20 minutes, and then vacuumed up—leaving behind a cleaner and more fragrant carpet.

'You can use whatever essential oil you prefer. Beware of cats, eucalyptus oil and a few others can cause reactions,' she shared.

Always research pet-safe options when incorporating essential oils into the cleaning routine.

Carpets may be deceptive—they may look clean on the surface but can still harbour a surprising amount of unseen dirt and allergens.

This doesn't mean you must rip up all your carpets and switch to hardwood floors, but it does mean adopting a more rigorous cleaning regimen.

Investing in a good quality vacuum cleaner, occasional use of a carpet shampooer, and even DIY cleaning solutions can go a long way in maintaining the cleanliness of your home.
Key Takeaways

• A mum revealed a significant amount of dirt hidden in her carpeted floors, even with regular vacuuming.
  • She demonstrated the effectiveness of the Tineco CARPET ONE PRO Shampooer for extracting filth.
  • Regular professional carpet cleaning is recommended, but frequent steam cleaning can help maintain cleanliness in between.
  • A DIY tip using bicarb soda and essential oils can be a cost-effective alternative to store-bought carpet deodorisers.
Have you had a similar experience with your carpets? Do you have any carpet cleaning tips or tricks to share? We'd love to hear your thoughts and stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have timber floors through out
NO Carpet & NO tiles.
although I do have 2 medium size rugs under 2 coffee tables.
Even with timber floors, there always seems to be dust..so I can’t begin to imagine how much dust would have accumulated in any carpet.
geeze, 2 dogs a cat and a todler. I suggest she removes 3 of these to the back yard. (Probably best to have the cat in a cat run.
Animals are the worst, think of all the dirt, flea, and other things they carry..keep them outside.
the house will be so much cleaner.
don't get me wrong..I also have a dog..and she stays outside.. that’s the best place for her.