Has the Drakes Supermarket boss gone too far? Inside his controversial social media videos ‘catching shoplifters’!

It’s a dilemma faced by businesses all over the world—how to prevent shoplifting.

For one supermarket boss, the answer is taking to social media and making a mockery of the shoplifters.

Since 2021, John-Paul Drake, who runs Drakes Supermarkets, has been using social media to try and find those who steal from his stores. He calls the clips 'customer magic'––because like a magician, the customer in question is making an item 'disappear'.

drakes.jpg
John-Paul Drake from Drakes Supermarket has been using social media to catch those who steal from his stores. Image source: Drakes Supermarket.

The videos are popular—generating tens of thousands of views online. In the clips, Mr Drake appears in front of the CCTV footage and narrates as customers appear to stuff items into bags, pockets, and in some cases, their pants.

In one clip, as a group of young people move through the store, appearing to take items off the shelves and filling their pockets, Mr Drake comments on one member of the group, who is taking items from the shelves and placing them inside a Coles bag under his hoodie.

'This guy’s got more stuff stuffed in that bag than Santa in his sack,' he said.

'This person has been in our stores five times in the last month,' Mr Drake added.

He then commented on another member of the group and said: 'Check out this eshay stuffing Ferreros in his pants.'

You can watch the full clip below:

While some have criticised the Adelaide businessman for his approach, Mr Drake said he did not believe he was mocking the needy.

'I have people that say, “You shouldn’t be saying this, you’re a person of privilege … they’re just trying to feed their families.”' he said.

'They are not trying to feed their families with wagyu and grass-fed Angus pure steaks, the products are taken and sold on other marketplaces,' he explained. 'If people are in need, go see a charitable organisation to help you out.'

Mr Drake said theft across his 65 supermarkets costs the business more than $10 million each year.

You can watch his segment on A Current Affair below:

Understanding Shoplifting: Reasons, Common Stolen Items, Demographics

Shoplifting is not a new problem—businesses have faced this hurdle for decades, with varying degrees of impact and strategies to combat it.

Research into the reasons why people shoplift has consistently shown that it often stems from a variety of factors, not just pure necessity or criminal thrill. Commonly cited reasons include drug addiction, compulsive behaviour, peer pressure, or the thrill of attempting to ‘get away with it’. At its core, it is generally a symptom of more significant societal issues rather than individual flaws.

Likewise, the items usually stolen aren't always what one might first assume. While fresh produce and other daily necessities are frequently shoplifted, high-cost luxury items like beauty products, electronic gadgets, and premium grocery items like wagyu beef also find their way into the pockets of shoplifters. The potential resale value of these items drives some thefts, as suggested by Mr Drake.

Diving into the demographics of shoplifters paints an even broader picture. Shoplifters can be found in every age group, from teens grabbing a pack of gum for a dare to pensioners simply trying to feed themselves.

Key Takeaways
  • John-Paul Drake, the boss of Drakes Supermarkets, has been using social media to catch and mock shoplifters.
  • Drake calls the clips 'customer magic' and showed CCTV footage of customers stealing items with his sarcastic narration.
  • Despite some criticism for his approach, Drake maintains that he is not mocking those in need, and that shoplifters are often stealing expensive items to resell, not to feed their families.
  • Theft across Drake’s 65 supermarkets is reportedly costing the business more than $10 million a year.

What do you think, folks? Have you ever experienced seeing a shoplifter in action? And do you think Mr Drake’s approach is going too far? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Not these days. I worked in the big green box about 5 years ago, & legally you are not permitted to stop anyone until they've left the store, and even then you can only call them out on it, not apprehend. Best practice for us was to film them getting into their car, and share the rego & the stores CCTV footage with police. Store employees cannot detain customers.
I am talking about in house and trained security staff not serving staff - big firms had their own security staff and we worked with the police . These days shopping centres use security companies.

Not these days. I worked in the big green box about 5 years ago, & legally you are not permitted to stop anyone until they've left the store, and even then you can only call them out on it, not apprehend. Best practice for us was to film them getting into their car, and share the rego & the stores CCTV footage with police. Store employees cannot detain customers.
Neither can security staff unless it is within the guidelines of a "citizen's arrest". Which any Joe Blow can perform.

The Drakes Boss has not gone too far.

Not having power to detain means the losses continue and we pay higher prices to cover those losses.

I'm not wealthy. I was raised to do the right thing.

One of the rules taught was 'Don't take what's not yours'.

I have worked hard for decades. When retrenched, I retrained and went on a hunt for work as a member of the grey brigade. Discriminated against? Yes. Kept at it? Yes. Got work that paid a wage. Didn't take what wasn't mine.

Stop the rhetoric that claims stealing is for survival. Stealing is for gain/profit.

We live in Australia, there are numerous charities, discount grocery stores and charitable people (people that provide food to those reaching out on social media platforms).

Drakes Boss and other Store Managers:

PHOTOGRAPH/VIDEO THIEVES, SHOW THE VIDEOS IN STORE.

PLACE POSTER SIZED PRINTS OF THEM ON THE INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL WALLS OF THE STORES.

POSTERS SHOULD HAVE A CAPTION: 'DO YOU KNOW THIS PERSON?"

When other customers recognise them, the thieves won't want to come back to the store where people will know they are thieves.

Reactions: Jerry5
It is unfair you can’t stop the shoplifters and detain them till police arrive .
No excuse for shoplifters.
I don’t think he has gone too far.
I hope people who own their businesses watch this - if any of these thieves worked for me I would ensure they would not be staying.

Reactions: Jerry5