Grieving mother slams Centrelink’s ‘unfair’ rule: ‘It's very wrong’

The pain of losing a child is unimaginable, and the grief that follows is a burden no parent should have to bear alone.

Yet, for Patty van Duijn, an Adelaide mother, the heartbreak was compounded by a Centrelink rule that she describes as 'absolutely disgusting’.

Patty was over 19 weeks into her pregnancy when she faced the devastating reality of terminating her pregnancy due to complications.

The loss of her son Mason was a profound trauma, one that was followed by the physical and emotional ordeal of giving birth to a stillborn child.

compressed-shutterstock_468262271.jpeg
Patty criticised Centrelink’s ‘disgusting’ rule. Image source: Shutterstock

But when she sought financial support from Centrelink to help her through this difficult time, she was met with a disappointing response.

Centrelink's Stillborn Baby Payment, a one-off lump sum of $4,059.17 designed to assist grieving parents, requires a gestation period of at least 20 weeks or a birth weight of at least 400 grams.

Mason, at 230 grams and just six days shy of the 20-week mark, did not meet these criteria.

As a result, Patty was deemed ineligible for the payment, forcing her to consider returning to her hospitality job less than two weeks after her loss.

She shared the emotional ordeal to a media outlet, saying, ‘I'm still going through this whole process of giving birth and holding a baby that's not alive. It's very traumatic and really hard, but now I have to think about going back to work.’

Patty criticised the rule as ‘absolutely disgusting’ and shared that it is ‘unfair’ she had undergone similar trauma and grief but was not able to access the help available to mothers in her situation.

‘It shouldn't matter how big or small or how long... it's my baby with arms, ten toes, fingers,’ she said.

‘I'm just unsure of who made this decision, and if they actually know what people go through, but a week shouldn't be a difference because it's still the experience, the trauma and everything that comes with it,’ Patty added.

It is understood that the Department of Social Services set the policy, and while Centrelink cannot grant leniency based on individual circumstances, they have stated that a representative will contact her to explore other supports available.

A spokesperson from the Department of Social Services stated, ‘the Australian Government recognises the tragic loss and trauma of miscarriage.’

‘While a medical professional must certify a stillborn child was delivered for families to receive Stillborn Baby Payment, other supports are available through Services Australia including counselling and support to connect with local services.’

‘And depending on an individual's circumstances and employment, they may also be entitled to paid or unpaid leave following a miscarriage,’ they added.

Patty's situation is further complicated by her medical history of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), which contributed to the complications in her pregnancy.

With her partner Lee Simpson working as a chef, the couple is struggling to make ends meet on his salary alone. The emotional toll is immense, and the financial pressure only adds to their distress.

‘It's only been a week and a half and now I have to think about going back to work because we can't afford to pay bills and rent if I don't work,’ she shared.

In response to her situation, Patty has taken action by setting up a GoFundMe page, not only to seek support for herself and Lee but also to raise awareness and advocate for change in the policy.

She hopes that by sharing her story, she can prevent other families from enduring the same hardship.

‘It's very wrong,’ she argued. ‘I want it to be looked into, not for us now, it's too late, but for other people going through this, so they don't have to go through what I am right now.’
Key Takeaways
  • Patty van Duijn from Adelaide experienced the loss of her baby at over 19 weeks but couldn't access Centrelink's Stillborn Baby Payment because she was six days short of the required 20-week gestation period.
  • Centrelink defines a stillborn child as one who has reached at least 20 weeks' gestation or weighs at least 400 grams at birth; Patty's baby weighed 230 grams.
  • Patty criticised the rule as 'absolutely disgusting' and unfair for not considering the trauma and grief experienced by mothers in her situation.
  • Despite her circumstances, Patty has received no leniency from Centrelink, with the Department of Social Services stating other supports are available, and she is now calling for a change to the rule to help others in her position.
Our thoughts and prayers go to Patty and her husband during this difficult time.

What do you think about Centrelink’s Stillborn Baby Payment criteria, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
GET REAL. This country is in enough financial shit without governments giving out money for every tear. What would I have been worth after having 9 NINE miscarriages. Stop making excuses for the LAZY, BOO HOO people of this country who expect everything to be paid for by taxpayers and I was one of them for almost 70 years. and I worked most of 5 days a week since leaving school at the end of the Intermediate Certificate. a

Yes; sorry but you are ignorant. In the 70's both sexes of Pollies created this welfare society. In those days we got $3 per quarter, per child, endowment, no pension unless you were either male or widowed and if you wanted a divorce you got nothing until you proved to the Court that you had been separated for at least 2 years and had acceptable reason to be away from your husband. It wasn't often granted. The Judge on my case told me that "habitual drunkeness was an ACCEPTABLE part of Military Life. However on the grounds of physical and mental cruelty I find this case proven." By this time I was working 3 jobs to keep my 3 sick kids in food and medicines. It took another 2 years before I was granted a PART pension. In those days there was NO Super for women and you couldn't get a bank card WITHOUT YOUR HUSBAND. I had already had 9 miscarriages and got NOTHING, just went home and back to work.
Don't be sorry for your name calling - thinking that you can just say it! i am certainly not ignorant, i do not lack the awareness, & gained knowledge from growing up in the 70"s - it is not all about You - you could cease the name calling as some others are doing on this site, it shows the lack of wisdom and maturity that we are supposed to acquire as we age! I do understand the life that you have explained and feel for anyone who has suffered any trauma throughout their lives.

Reactions: Ingot
My heart goes out to this young lady.
I had no help when I had a still born, I had no help raising my 2 children, I had no help when I lost my father, then husband, then my mother. I now have had a medical condition that stops me from working and still I have no help from CentreLink. Too many freebee handouts have made this country weak, and dependant of other people hard earnt money from working every day. And don't get me started on the handout to people who come to Australia.
Sorry but I have worked from a very early age, and I never got anything that this new generations think they are entitled too.

And before anyone starts on me, I know people will reply/say that I'm a uncaring B^tch, but I live in a so-called free country and am allowed to have my opinion.
My stepdaughter was carrying on because she thought the government should pay for a nebuliser for her daughter because she has asthma???
Everything in her life is paid for by the government, single mothers pension, state house, etc.
At one stage she was getting two days a week free childcare.
For what, she didn't work.
Always finds money for cigarettes and alcohol, the kids just go without .

And she's definitely not an isolated incidence.
Don't be sorry for your name calling - thinking that you can just say it! i am certainly not ignorant, i do not lack the awareness, & gained knowledge from growing up in the 70"s - it is not all about You - you could cease the name calling as some others are doing on this site, it shows the lack of wisdom and maturity that we are supposed to acquire as we age!
Pot calling the kettle black.

My stepdaughter was carrying on because she thought the government should pay for a nebuliser for her daughter because she has asthma???
Everything in her life is paid for by the government, single mothers pension, state house, etc.

Not even worth the reply to mylittletibbies!

We did make bricks in Bundaberg until the NAB and Boral destroyed it... took the owner's home, land and business because Boral wanted a kiln that my friend had at his brickworks but the overseas makers of this kiln wouldn't sell to Boral so Boral and the bank destroyed the business and it also cost my friend his life. His wife is still a friend.
I know this story well, and it is absolutely factual and true.
I lived in Bundaberg and am aware of what happened to Mr and Mrs Troiani.
More generous and kind-hearted people you will never meet.
Sad to hear Mr Troiani has passed to his rest.

The Troiani's ran a great business. They took up the making of cavity bricks and exported to NZ and all over Australia. They saw markets where others saw nothing.

Beaten but not broken, I know the Troiani's started again to do what they could to help themselves and others once again. They were never people to lean on the public purse.
The last time I saw the Troiani's was when they were selling flowers at the markets.
They were truly wonderful people. Much respect.

The bank also destroyed my cousin's farm near Kingaroy.
He was wanting a small loan to be able to irrigate extra Lucerne acreage that was under-exploited on the farm, but the bank said the loan was too small, and that the farm could "easily" service a much bigger loan, and generate "huge" production.

Interest rates hit 21% for farmers and 18% for mortgagee's in the early 1980's "recession-that-we-had-to-have."

Banks again!
Their rising interest rates bolstered their reserves, through stealing the assets of customers.

When interest rates rise - ask yourself:
Where does the money go, and who gets to keep it!!

I don't have to tell you the rest - most of you lived through that horror period too.
The bank got most of the farm - farm-house - the lot.
There was enough left to purchase another small place, and my cousin started again too, albeit from a very low financial position.

Last edited:
We did make bricks in Bundaberg until the NAB and Boral destroyed it... took the owner's home, land and business because Boral wanted a kiln that my friend had at his brickworks but the overseas makers of this kiln wouldn't sell to Boral so Boral and the bank destroyed the business and it also cost my friend his life. His wife is still a friend.
That Kiln I think came from Spain (unsure).
My brother-in-law was the only electrician in Bundaberg who had the skills to overcome the language difficulties in the instructions, and decipher the wiring and installation diagrams.
He oversaw the installation of that Kiln, and Mr Troiani would have given him anything he wanted in gratitude.
My brother-in-law told him "You are already doing enough for the Bundaberg community - that's thanks enough."
Big difference between that and the attitude of the bank.

I wonder if you want to hear the story about WestPac and the Hungry Jack's (Burger King) franchises?
Try to Google it - you will never use the banks again for financing a business.

They didn't get away with all of it, but it cost about 20 franchisees their life's savings.
It's called "Churning" if you understand franchising.

An American, Jack Cowin, owned the Burger King franchise, and only Australia did not have that company operating.
Had he been successful, he'd have been able to claim that "Burger King was known and loved all over the planet." He ran into a bit of litigation, and eventually quit Australia. Hungry Jacks started up around the same time, I believe.

There is a book called "When Banks Go Bad."
It outlines the bank loans and the 'churning' that occurred when the banks forced the closure and loss of some "unprofitable" franchises.

This meant the return of the busiesses to the franchisor, where they were free to sell to another investor.

I can't - for legal reasons - name the bank involved in this churning racket, or the franchisor using his mates at the bank to facilitate the loans and the scam, using their magic numbers.

I tell it here only to make people aware of the filth that can go on between banks and franchising corporations, in some instances, for mutual financial benefit.

I hope this digression has been interesting, aside from the intrusion.

Last edited:
I was a midwife for 46 years and during that time have assisted in the delivery of many stillborn/ miscarriage babies. While I find myself with a lot of sympathy for this unfortunate lady, the government must have a cut off line somewhere. Your precious child was not classified as a stillborn but a miscarriage. I agree with you that in cases like this one there should be some room for individual assessment. I am so sorry for your loss and your subsequent treatment by Centrelink, but the person you were speaking must follow their guidelines.

I feel very sorry for this lady losing her baby. The trauma involved would be devastating. However, as miscarriages are, unfortunately, all too common, a rule has been set in place and must be abided by. While the lump sum of over $4,000 may not be available, Centrelink has offered other methods of support through counselling and other types of benefits. And going back to work may actually be of benefit. It will distract her and take her mind off the loss, rather than being at home dwelling on it.

Our Communist Govt give as little as possible to those they are supposed to Serve ,most Miscarriages occur in the first Trimester up to Twelve Weeks ,so Why then is the stipulation Twenty Weeks which is far less common occurance
A still born is a still born no matter what it weighs or how old it is.
A Rogers
It is only a stillborn after 20 weeks because the pregnancy is only classified viable after this time.

Feeling for the loss - definitely. Should taxpayers pay? That's a government decision. Centrelink is there to unwaveringly administer government welfare policy, good or not. But government welfare policy is, in a 'back-office' way, costed by Treasury. The heartless bureaucrats in Treasury probably examined the statistics on still births to get the average weight and gestation period of such births, then set the bar for support payments a good deal above that average. That would ensure such payments, and the ultimate costs of appearing to have a beneficial welfare policy that gives support to grieving mothers, were minimised. Call me cynical, but as a Financial Adviser I have been around these sorts of issues too long to now be otherwise.

Feeling for the loss - definitely. Should taxpayers pay? That's a government decision. Centrelink is there to unwaveringly administer government welfare policy, good or not. But government welfare policy is, in a 'back-office' way, costed by Treasury. The heartless bureaucrats in Treasury probably examined the statistics on still births to get the average weight and gestation period of such births, then set the bar for support payments a good deal above that average. That would ensure such payments, and the ultimate costs of appearing to have a beneficial welfare policy that gives support to grieving mothers, were minimised. Call me cynical, but as a Financial Adviser I have been around these sorts of issues too long to now be otherwise.
I think it has been pointed out on several occasions the time line is set at 20 weeks, any time prior to this the pregnancy is not considered to be viable.
This would have been on medical advice I would presume rather than sneaky politicians in backrooms plotting how to rip off grieving mothers.
If they had wanted to they needn't to have considered this payment at all as it hadn't been paid for many, many years previously. JMO