Get the bathroom of your dreams on a budget! This DIY will save you thousands

We all know how pricey it can be to renovate areas in our homes, let alone the bathroom – which is often one of the most used rooms. So, it’s important that everything works properly and looks great too!

But high quotes from renovators and the cost of materials sometimes make it difficult to push through with the construction.

Well, one Melbourne-based woman took on the challenge to renovate her bathroom on her own – and she managed to complete the project for $1,000!

Kellie shared before and after images after completing her DIY renovation project in a Facebook group dedicated to home décor. In the pictures, she showed her bathroom’s floors, walls, ceiling, and fixtures.

Kellie explained that she received an $8-11k quote to have the bathroom done professionally, so instead of paying such a hefty amount, she and her fiancé decided to do the job themselves.

kmart3.jpg
Before and after photos of Kellie’s bathroom sink. Credit: Facebook

‘I wanted to share photos of my newly renovated bathroom. We were quoted $8-11k to have it done professionally, so we did it ourselves. It was a big job but the product alone was just over $1,000!’ She wrote in her post. Kellie shared that they worked on the renovation for a week.

The couple replaced the sink, cabinet, and mirror with modern versions of the appliances. They also admitted to feeling like they had ‘more space’ after doing the renovations since that seemed to ‘open up’ their bathroom more.

‘We’re happy with how it turned out!’

Aside from the sink and mirror, the couple also replaced the dull silver chrome fixtures with sleek, matte black fittings. They added a wall nook for their shower gels and hair products, too.

kmart4.JPG
We think the little wall nook is a charming addition. Credit: Facebook

But the bulk of the project focused on replacing the bathroom tiles with micro cement. For those who don’t know (just like me, the writer of this article), micro cement is a waterproof and grout-free polymer-based coating. The micro cement can be applied directly to different surfaces including tile and wood.

It’s also much cheaper than tiles.

Kellie admitted that switching to micro cement was ‘one of the best decisions’ she’s made because she no longer needs to worry about scrubbing the wall grout. She wipes down her walls with a microfibre cloth to clean them instead.

She said: ‘We chose to go with a micro cement finish on the walls instead of tiles, and I’m so stoked with it. Not cleaning grout (except for the floor tiles) has been life-changing and I definitely recommend it!’

Many were impressed by the couple’s dedication and took to the comments to share their thoughts.

One woman wrote: ‘Looks fantastic, great job! We’ve had micro cement on our ensuite walls and floor for two years now and I do not miss cleaning grout and tiles.’

‘Absolutely amazing transformation, the space has opened out so much,’ shared another.
Key Takeaways

• A woman in Melbourne completed an incredible bathroom renovation for just $1,000 after contractors quoted her $11,000 to have the job done professionally.
  • The woman, Kellie, worked on the renovation with her fiancé over the course of a week.
  • The pair replaced the sink, cabinet, and mirror, as well as added a wall nook, and sleek, modern black fixtures.
  • The couple focused on removing the bathroom tiles and replacing them with micro cement, which is a waterproof and grout-free polymer-based coating.
  • Micro cement is a great option for bathroom walls because it is easy to clean and does not require grout.
There you have it, folks! What can you say about Kellie’s DIY home renovation? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all know how pricey it can be to renovate areas in our homes, let alone the bathroom – which is often one of the most used rooms. So, it’s important that everything works properly and looks great too!

But high quotes from renovators and the cost of materials sometimes make it difficult to push through with the construction.

Well, one Melbourne-based woman took on the challenge to renovate her bathroom on her own – and she managed to complete the project for $1,000!

Kellie shared before and after images after completing her DIY renovation project in a Facebook group dedicated to home décor. In the pictures, she showed her bathroom’s floors, walls, ceiling, and fixtures.

Kellie explained that she received an $8-11k quote to have the bathroom done professionally, so instead of paying such a hefty amount, she and her fiancé decided to do the job themselves.

View attachment 8548

‘I wanted to share photos of my newly renovated bathroom. We were quoted $8-11k to have it done professionally, so we did it ourselves. It was a big job but the product alone was just over $1,000!’ She wrote in her post. Kellie shared that they worked on the renovation for a week.

The couple replaced the sink, cabinet, and mirror with modern versions of the appliances. They also admitted to feeling like they had ‘more space’ after doing the renovations since that seemed to ‘open up’ their bathroom more.

Aside from the sink and mirror, the couple also replaced the dull silver chrome fixtures with sleek, matte black fittings. They added a wall nook for their shower gels and hair products, too.

View attachment 8549

But the bulk of the project focused on replacing the bathroom tiles with micro cement. For those who don’t know (just like me, the writer of this article), micro cement is a waterproof and grout-free polymer-based coating. The micro cement can be applied directly to different surfaces including tile and wood.

Kellie admitted that switching to micro cement was ‘one of the best decisions’ she’s made because she no longer needs to worry about scrubbing the wall grout. She wipes down her walls with a microfibre cloth to clean them instead.

She said: ‘We chose to go with a micro cement finish on the walls instead of tiles, and I’m so stoked with it. Not cleaning grout (except for the floor tiles) has been life-changing and I definitely recommend it!’

Many were impressed by the couple’s dedication and took to the comments to share their thoughts.

One woman wrote: ‘Looks fantastic, great job! We’ve had micro cement on our ensuite walls and floor for two years now and I do not miss cleaning grout and tiles.’

‘Absolutely amazing transformation, the space has opened out so much,’ shared another.
Key Takeaways

• A woman in Melbourne completed an incredible bathroom renovation for just $1,000 after contractors quoted her $11,000 to have the job done professionally.
  • The woman, Kellie, worked on the renovation with her fiancé over the course of a week.
  • The pair replaced the sink, cabinet, and mirror, as well as added a wall nook, and sleek, modern black fixtures.
  • The couple focused on removing the bathroom tiles and replacing them with micro cement, which is a waterproof and grout-free polymer-based coating.
  • Micro cement is a great option for bathroom walls because it is easy to clean and does not require grout.
There you have it, folks! What can you say about Kellie’s DIY home renovation? Let us know in the comments below!
I can't believe that was done for $1000.

It's beautiful what they have achieved, like them I too had a quote to get my bathroom done and this is a small bathroom; 15,000.00 of course I said no and started checking out DIY, and I agree adorableagnes $1000.00 would not have paid for all the reno. Bathroom units are not cheap as I have been looking, that alone, with the hand basin would cost nearly all that without the beautiful tap fitting and shower fittings unless they are all second hand which just might slip it in, might as people are now asking nearly full price for used products.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
That micro cement surface looks rough, I prefer tiles, which I have used walls & floor often in an earlier life... ie younger.. lol

Reactions: Ezzy
Her fiance or a relative must be a plumber and can get trade's prices for items.
It would have cost more than $1,000 in total, plus to pay a plumber to install/hook up taps/sink etc.

Last edited:

View attachment 8548

View attachment 8549

Key Takeaways

Can we have the name of the company doing the cement surface please.

It's beautiful what they have achieved, like them I too had a quote to get my bathroom done and this is a small bathroom; 15,000.00 of course I said no and started checking out DIY, and I agree adorableagnes $1000.00 would not have paid for all the reno. Bathroom units are not cheap as I have been looking, that alone, with the hand basin would cost nearly all that without the beautiful tap fitting and shower fittings unless they are all second hand which just might slip it in, might as people are now asking nearly full price for used products.
Thank you, that was my thoughts exactly