Get all the counter space you dream of with this $24 IKEA trick!

Whether you're navigating through cramped countertops or battling cluttered cabinets, dreaming of a more spacious kitchen is common among home cooks and culinary enthusiasts alike.

One organisation guru shares a clever trick for extra counter space, taking the internet by storm.

The clever and resourceful Monique Popa first shared this $24 IKEA trick that's finding its way into more and more Aussie kitchens.

In a video shared on social media, Monique reveals how she transformed her kitchen bench space with nothing more than two IKEA LÄMPLIG chopping boards ($12 each).

By placing the large chopping boards over her stovetop, Monique instantly created additional bench space.

The boards are designed with a slight overhang on one end, ensuring they sit snugly over the stovetop grates without sliding around.

chopping board.png
Monique placed two large chopping boards over her stove top to increase counter space. Image Source: TikTok / @theorganisedeverydaymum

Monique said, ‘This $24 IKEA (trick) will change your life, or at least your kitchen.’

‘If you're looking for extra prep space in your kitchen, to make your stovetop look better, or to hide those marks and crumbs on the stove when guests come over, then do yourself a favour and head into IKEA.’

Monique uses two boards side by side to cover her 90cm stovetop, but if your stove is smaller, you might only need one.

The response from Monique's followers has been overwhelmingly positive, with many echoing her sentiments and sharing their own experiences.

'I have this chopping board and it makes such a difference for counter space and meal prep!' one woman commented.

‘I have been doing this for years and they last so long,’ another added.

‘This is the best (trick) I got from you! Thanks!’ added one of her followers.

‘I have one of these in my tiny kitchen. Best money ever spent,’ another posted.

Some savvy commenters pointed out that Kmart offers the Bamboo Bench Cutting Board ($15), which can serve the same purpose for those who might not have an IKEA nearby.

Monique has a straightforward answer for those wondering what happens when it's time to use the stove.

‘I just move them next to the stove when cooking. Sometimes I cook without using the stove, like putting things in the oven or air fryer I put on the boards.’

You can watch Monique’s video below!

Source: TikTok / @theorganisedeverydaymum

With all of the exciting new kitchen appliances and tools hitting the market, it's no surprise that Aussies are seeking the best ways to maximise their counter space.

Another online organization guru has shared her affordable way to create more counter space. You can read about her organisational trick here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie mum, Monique Popa, shared a simple IKEA trick on social media to increase kitchen bench space using two LÄMPLIG chopping boards.
  • The trick involves placing the chopping boards over the stovetop, creating an additional surface for meal preparation or to hide messes when guests come over.
  • Followers of Monique Popa have praised the trick, with some commenting that they've been doing it for years and it greatly improves counter space.
  • Some commenters also suggested that a similar chopping board available at Kmart for $15 could be used for those who can't access IKEA.
Have you tried this IKEA trick, or do you have any other space-saving tips for the kitchen? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
When I bought a multi-purpose airfryer microwave it was too deep for the recess so I bought a much more expensive cutting board to cover the Cooktop and place the unit on.

Haven't used gas stove top since. For frying and grilling I use the BBQ which hardly uses any gas and the wok fits in it perfectly.

Still haven't got enough bench space but you learn to adjust

Be careful in using something like this on glasstop stoves with electronic controls. It is easy to turn the stove on with any heavy item. Unless you lock the controls each time you finish using the stove, but this would annoy me to no end.

It's a great idea and something I'm intending to do.
I do it with my wooden chopping board but my cook tops just a normal gas oven 4 burner. I just slide it to the side and chop on it no biggy.And yes mines a tiny kitchen in a unit.
I think it looks really 😎

Reactions: DLHM