Farewell to three icons: Musician John Gosling (75) and actors Sharon Farrell (82) and Mark Margolis (83) pass away

In recent days, we have seen multiple heartbreaking reports of beloved actors and musicians passing away. Today, we are paying tribute to John Gosling of The Kinks, Sharon Farrell, best known for The Young and The Restless and Hawaii Five-O, and Mark Margolis, who you may recognise from Scarface, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Breaking Bad, and Better Call Saul.

Please join us in remembering these once-in-a-lifetime talents as we look back on their remarkable lives.

The Kinks keyboardist John Gosling, aged 75 (1948–2023)​

It's with immense sadness that we share the news of the death of John Gosling, the keyboard player for the iconic rock group The Kinks, at the age of 75.

Gosling was an integral part of the group from 1970 to 1978. During this time, he appeared on ten albums, playing on some of their biggest hits, including ‘Lola’ and ‘You Really Got Me’.

The Kinks' confirmed the news with a post saying: 'We are deeply saddened by the news of the passing of John Gosling. We are sending our condolences to John’s wife and family.'

Lead singer Ray Davies also shared a message, saying, 'Condolences to his wife Theresa and family. Rest in Peace dearest John.'

Gosling's passing has left bandmates and fans mourning, with many taking to social media to pay their respects and share emotional tributes.

IMG_3250 (1).jpg
John Gosling was The Kinks’ first full-time permanent keyboard player. Image Credit: DanTheFan for Kinks Preservation Society/Twitter

Lead guitarist and backing vocalist Dave Davies said: ‘I’m dismayed deeply upset by John Gosling’s passing. He has been a friend and important contributor to the Kinks music during his time with us. Deepest sympathies to his wife and family. I will hold deep affection and love for him in my heart always. Great musician and a great man.’

Meanwhile, longtime drummer and percussionist Mick Avory shared: ‘Today we lost a dear friend and colleague, he was a great musician and had a fantastic sense of humour... which made him [a] popular member of the band, he leaves us with some happy memories. God Bless him....’

The Kinks have certainly secured their place in the history of music.

Since 1964, the band has sold more than 50 million records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling bands of all time.

Key Takeaways

• John Gosling, the keyboard player for the iconic rock group The Kinks, passed away at the age of 75.
  • Bandmates and fans took to social media to share their condolences and pay tribute to Gosling.
  • Gosling was with The Kinks from 1970 to 1978, contributing to ten albums and played on the hit song, Lola.
  • The Kinks, legendary for hits like ‘You Really Got Me’ and ‘Lola’, have sold more than 50 million records worldwide.

Now, we invite our members to take a trip back in time and rediscover one of The Kinks' greatest hits with us.

Our deepest sympathies go to John Gosling's family, friends, and fans.

The Young and the Restless star Sharon Farrell, aged 82 (1940–2023)

The world of television has lost one of its stars as Sharon Farrell, beloved for her role in The Young and the Restless, has sadly passed away. She was 82. Her sister confirmed the news on August 2, announcing that Farrell passed away on May 15, 2023, at L.A. Downtown Medical Center.

Born Sharon Lee Forsmoe, Farrell enjoyed a prosperous acting career that spanned several decades and saw her move gracefully between film and television.

Beginning her journey to stardom as a ballerina at the American Ballet Theatre, Farrell effortlessly transitioned to the big screen, making her feature film debut in 1959's Kiss Her Goodbye. This moment marked the start of a career that would see her light up the silver screen in everything from dramas like The Reivers, suspenseful neo-noir in Marlowe, the eerie science fiction horror of It's Alive to the heart-warming tale of Can’t Buy Me Love. Her versatility and charisma captivated audiences on a global scale.

Yet, despite her cinematic appeal, Sharon Farrell is possibly most remembered for her remarkable presence on the small screen. Television, with its intimate setting, allowed the actress to truly showcase her talent.

She had a stint as Detective Lori Wilson in the final season of the original Hawaii Five-O. Her portrayal of the detective not only added another feather to her cap but also paved the way for future roles in television.

IMG_3251 (1) (1).jpg
Farrell is remembered for her incredible acting. Image Credit: Twitter

Farrell’s television legacy was truly cemented with her spellbinding performance as Florence 'Flo' Webster in the much-loved soap opera The Young and the Restless. This role, vehement in its impression, has remained imprinted in the hearts of viewers, even years after the character’s departure from the screen.

Farrell's contribution to television does not just stop at The Young and the Restless. She graced a range of other TV shows, including My Favourite Martian, Gunsmoke, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Matlock, and JAG.

Key Takeaways

• Sharon Farrell, renowned for her roles in It's Alive and The Young and the Restless, has passed away at 82.
  • News of Farrell's passing was confirmed by her sister.
  • Farrell's acting career spanned several decades with numerous roles in film and television, including the original Hawaii Five-O and The Young and the Restless.
  • She began as a ballerina with the American Ballet Theatre, later making her feature film debut in 1959's Kiss Her Goodbye.

She will be dearly missed, not just for her indelible contribution to the entertainment industry but for the years of joy and emotion she brought into the homes of millions around the world.

Breaking Bad star Mark Margolis, aged 83 (1939–2023)​

Mark Margolis, an actor who brought life to many small but memorable roles in some culture-defining titles such as Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, has sadly passed away on Thursday at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, his son Morgan Margolis confirmed. He was 83.

The veteran actor, who was a staple of Broadway and television for more than 40 years, was best known for his iconic and Emmy-nominated performances in Breaking Bad as Hector 'Tio' Salamanca—a memorable former cartel enforcer who communicated through a brass bell attached to his wheelchair.

'It was a marvellous creature! The fact that he didn’t have any words was not an issue for me,' Margolis said during an interview with Time Magazine in 2013 regarding his famous role.

'I was delighted not to have to learn any lines. I mean, I had to know what was going on, I had to my cues, but the fact that I didn’t have to master lines was great. I got to fly out to New Mexico and not worry about memorising anything.'

IMG_3248 (1).jpg
Margolis in Breaking Bad as ‘Tio’. Image Credit: Twitter

Apart from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, Margolis accumulated over 100 film and TV credits over his four-decade-long career. Notable films he appeared in include Scarface, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and Oz, among many others.

He was also greatly appreciated by renowned Hollywood filmmaker Darren Aronofsky, having starred in six of his movies. Like many of the actors today, Margolis was a student of iconic acting coach Stella Adler, from whom he took classes in New York.

Though Mr Margolis had been in the industry for four decades, his performance as Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad put him on the map and won him well-deserved popularity.

'I can’t get down a street 50 feet (15m) without taking a picture or signing an autograph! I was just supposed to be on for one episode,' Margolis said in the same 2013 interview. 'After the second season, I didn’t know anyone who knew the show, but after the third season—it just blew up.'

Despite having a wide array of villainous characters under his belt, Margolis was described by his colleagues as humorous, self-deprecating, and lovely off-the-set. He joked about his famous bell-ringing skills when he was hired to be in an Apple watch app commercial, attributing his second-hand fame behind Quasimodo's.

‘I don’t do many commercials. I didn’t know why anybody wanted me, and it’s because the thing is called Dingbel and it dings a bell,’ Margolis told Vulture. ‘I tell people I’m the second-most famous bell ringer after Quasimodo. It’s me and Quasimodo.’

Above all, Margolis shared his passion and appreciation for acting, especially in a 2019 interview with his Better Call Saul co-star Jonathan Banks.

'The wonderful thing about it is, I used to be so shy, I didn’t even talk, and (was) closed off. It liberates me. It gives me things, allows me to do things I could never do in my life. I love it very much.' He said.

It's no surprise, then, that people were equally passionate about Mark Margolis for his craft and his kind nature. As a tribute, Breaking Bad's star Bryan Cranston wrote on Instagram, 'Mark Margolis was a really good actor and a lovely human being. Fun and engaging off the set, and (in the case of Breaking Bad and Your Honor) intimidating and frightening on set.’

‘His quiet energy belied his mischievous nature and curious mind. And he loved sharing a good joke. I miss him already. Rest now, Mark and thank you for your friendship and your exceptional body of work.'

Aronofsky also echoed a similar sentiment on social media, calling Margolis 'A friend, a mentor, a true New Yorker, and a great, great artist.'

‘i love you mark and i am so grateful for everything you contributed to the world,’ Aronofsky added.

Key Takeaways

• Veteran actor Mark Margolis, known for his roles in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, has passed away at the age of 83.
  • Margolis received an Emmy nomination in 2012 for his portrayal of Hector 'Tio' Salamanca in Breaking Bad, a character he reprised in the prequel series Better Call Saul.
  • Despite being well-known for his villainous roles, Margolis was described as humorous and self-deprecating, often making light of his fame from his bell-ringing character Tio.
  • Tributes to Margolis came from fellow actors and directors, with Bryan Cranston and Darren Aronofsky posting heartfelt messages on social media about his exceptional body of work.

We'd like to take this opportunity to honour John Gosling, Sharon Farrell, and Mark Margolis, skilled performers who left an everlasting mark on the hearts of their fans and their respective industries.

May they rest in peace.

Do you have any fond memories of them or their shows you would like to share? Please let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
For goodness sake SDC - this is getting ridiculous!! Please stop treating your pages loke memorandums for people who die! DO NOT WANY TO READ THIS (no I didn’t read this article but felt I had to send this reply) There is enough doom and gloom in the world so stick to happier themes - discounts, games etc. PLEASE!

Reactions: Trudi
For goodness sake SDC - this is getting ridiculous!! Please stop treating your pages loke memorandums for people who die! DO NOT WANY TO READ THIS (no I didn’t read this article but felt I had to send this reply) There is enough doom and gloom in the world so stick to happier themes - discounts, games etc. PLEASE!
Don’t be mean some people like reading this stuff! If you don’t like it don’t read it skip over it😁

Reactions: Noon
I've always liked The Kinks since they started, but couldn't remember what John Gosling done in the group. Looked it up and saw that he hadn't even been in the group for 45 years!!:rolleyes: