Expert reveals secret to picking the sweetest watermelon with this genius trick

As the sun beats down and the days grow longer, there's nothing quite like biting into a crisp, sweet slice of watermelon to beat the heat.

But let's face it, there's a certain art to selecting the perfect watermelon, and nothing is more disappointing than cutting open your fruit to find it lacking in flavour or texture.

Fortunately, a savvy shopper shared a tip that could end our watermelon woes, and it's causing quite a stir among fruit aficionados.

The secret, it seems, lies in embracing the watermelon's natural imperfections.

According to a tip shared on social media, a watermelon's exterior can tell us a lot about what to expect on the inside.

sahand-babali-eiNdbqWZww4-unsplash.jpg
One shopper shared a trick on how to choose the perfect watermelon. Image source: Unsplash

The shopper's advice, passed down from her father, is simple yet counterintuitive: 'The uglier the watermelon, the sweeter it is.'

This means that those watermelons with a darker, duller appearance could be hiding the sweetest, juiciest flesh beneath their unassuming rinds.

The post garnered the interest of social media users, with some sharing their own techniques while buying watermelons.

One person joked: ‘I knock on them, but I don’t exactly know what I’m listening for (I see everyone else doing it). I got a 50/50 average rate of getting a sweet one.’

Meanwhile, another shopper shared a guide in the comments section:

Screenshot 2024-05-13 122121.png
One shopper shared a guide on how to pick a watermelon. Image source: Facebook

But how can we be sure this isn't just an old wives' tale?

Dr Vincent Candrawinata, a Food Scientist and Nutrition Researcher, confirmed that there's science behind this seemingly odd advice.

‘Growing up, my mum always said that we don’t want to buy fruit that is not ripe because it’s a waste of money,’ he said.

He explained that the indicators for selecting a ripe watermelon are indeed based on scientific principles.

He noted that the diagram made a lot of sense, saying: ‘All of the indicators are based on science. For example, the elongated shape of a watermelon indicates uneven sun exposure and/or water distribution during growth.

Dr Vincent offered additional key indicators to ensure you pick a winner every time:
  • Colour: Look for a deep green colour, which suggests the watermelon has had ample time to develop its full flavour.
Dr Vincent stated: ‘The colour of a watermelon can tell a lot about its ripeness. A deep green colour indicates that the watermelon has had enough time to develop its full flavour. The creamy yellow field spot is where the watermelon was resting on the ground and wasn't exposed to sunlight.’​
The field spot, the part of the watermelon that rested on the ground, should be a creamy yellow rather than white, indicating proper ripening on the vine.​
  • Weight and size: A ripe watermelon will feel heavy for its size, a testament to its high water content and promise of juicy flesh.
‘Watermelons are mostly water (about 90 per cent), so a ripe watermelon will feel heavy for its size. This weight is a good indicator that the watermelon is full of juice and has a dense, sweet flesh,’ Dr Vincent explained.​
The shape should be uniform, which indicates stress-free growth, leading to consistent flavour throughout the fruit.​

• Sound: Dr Vincent assured that knocking on watermelons in the store has merit.
‘A ripe one will have a deep, hollow sound, while under or overripe melons will sound dull,’ he stated.​
‘When you knock or tap on the surface, a ripe watermelon will produce a deep, hollow sound due to the vibration of its dense, watery flesh. If the watermelon is underripe, it will sound more solid and less resonant because the flesh is firmer and less juicy,’ he added.​
  • Texture: Dr Vincent also pointed out that shoppers should look out for watermelons with soft spots or difficult to scratch.
‘If the rind feels soft or gives under slight pressure, it’s likely overripe, which can lead to a mushy texture inside. A hard, undamaged rind is a good sign that the watermelon has maintained its structural integrity throughout the picking process,’ he explained.​

So, next time you're navigating the produce aisle, remember that beauty is only rind deep. Embrace the less-than-perfect-looking watermelons, and you might just discover the sweetest rewards.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman shared her trick for choosing the best-tasting watermelon, claiming that the uglier and duller the appearance, the sweeter the fruit inside.
  • People on social media debated the effectiveness of her method, contrasting it with other techniques, such as knocking on the melon to assess ripeness.
  • Food scientist Dr Vincent Candrawinata confirmed that the appearance indicators, such as a deep green colour and a creamy yellow field spot, are scientifically based methods for selecting ripe watermelons.
  • Dr Vincent provided additional tips on choosing a ripe watermelon, such as the importance of weight, uniform shape, and the sound it makes when tapped.
Now, we'd love to hear from you, members! Have you tried this watermelon selection trick? Do you have any other foolproof methods for picking the best fruits and vegetables? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
The knocking on the watermelon is very true, I learned this as a teenager.
The sweeter it is, the more fructose (sugar) it has.
The sugar absorbs the water creating grooves or a more porous effect inside the melon.
These grooves or hollows create a more hollow sound.
The more hollow the sound, the sweeter the melon!

In the good old days when we bought watermelons off a truck by the side of the road, the seller would always cut a triangular shape & remove it so you could see what you were buying. I can't ever remember having a watermelon that was not sweet & juicy in those days, maybe because the grower knew he had to get his produce in good condition before selling or he would go out of business very quickly.

• Love
Reactions: DLHM and mOiOz
In the good old days when we bought watermelons off a truck by the side of the road, the seller would always cut a triangular shape & remove it so you could see what you were buying. I can't ever remember having a watermelon that was not sweet & juicy in those days, maybe because the grower knew he had to get his produce in good condition before selling or he would go out of business very quickly.
I remember that too!

Reactions: DLHM