Discover the secret phone trick to snag dupes on the market!

In the age of smart technology, our phones have become the ultimate tool for convenience and efficiency.

For those who love a good bargain and are always on the lookout for ways to stretch their dollar further, one stumbled upon a phone trick that's nothing short of a treasure hunt assistant.

It's a simple trick that can help you find affordable alternatives to high-end items, and it's right at your fingertips.

Imagine you've seen a stunning piece of clothing in a magazine, or perhaps you've spotted a must-have accessory while scrolling through social media.

This also happened to Eleanor Katelaris, Parenting and Lifestyle writer of Kidspot.

shutterstock_586778033.jpg
Have you ever stumbled upon an item online, but it’s too expensive and wondered if there’s a dupe for it? Credit: Shutterstock

‘As a lover of all things fashion, I often come across luxurious pieces on Instagram or during my scrolling adventures that are way beyond my budget,’ she said.

‘So naturally, I begin searching for the item online, trying to find a more affordable version.’

‘I’ll Google a rough description of the item, like, “Black maxi with cut-out sides”, but of course, this is too vague, and I end up finding items that look nothing like the [inspiration] pic.’

Before you resign yourself to the idea that some things are just beyond reach, Eleanor introduced a digital ally that could change the game for you: Google Lens.

Sharing her ultimate trick, Eleanor said this solves her problem altogether.

‘Using Google Lens (a feature of the Google app), I simply upload photos or screenshots of the item I want and can quickly find similar pieces at a fraction of the cost,’ she said.

‘For example, a designer dress priced over $1000 might have a similar style available for under $100 online—if you know how to find it!’

Here's how to harness this tool to find those budget-friendly duplicates, or 'dupes', of expensive items.

First, have the Google app for Apple or Android users installed on your smartphone. This is different from Google Photos or Google Chrome.

Once you've got that sorted, follow these steps:
Tip

1. Open the Google app and locate the camera icon on the right-hand side of the search bar. This is your gateway to Google Lens.
  2. Tap the camera icon, and you'll have the option to snap a photo of the item you're interested in or upload an existing image from your gallery.
  3. Once your image is uploaded, Google Lens will analyse it and highlight recognisable objects. If it doesn't automatically select the item you're interested in, you can manually adjust the selection box.
  4. After the item is selected, Google Lens will work its magic, searching for exact matches and similar items based on patterns, colours, and shapes.
  5. You'll be presented with various options from various retailers, often at different price points. This is where you can spot those affordable dupes.
Eleanor can attest to this trick's practicality. It saved her so much time and gave her hundreds of options to choose from.

‘Walking through a shopping centre, I might try something on, but after checking the price, I decide I could probably find a cheaper one online,’ she said.

‘So I’ll snap a photo and use Google Lens to find a dupe! I’ll also use this nifty trick when I’m op-shopping,’ she added.

But the benefits don't stop at just finding lower-cost items.

‘I’ll check the price tag and then use Google Lens to see how much the item cost when it was new. I can then work out if it’s good value or not and whether I’m getting a true bargain,’ Eleanor shared.

You can watch this step-by-step guide on how to use Google Lens below:

Credit: QuickTipsTo / YouTube

This phone trick comes after Google took steps towards promoting environmental sustainability.

In a previous story, Google Maps released new features on Earth Day designed to encourage Australian travellers to choose more sustainable transport options. You can check Google Maps’ new features here.
Key Takeaways

• Eleanor Katelaris shared a phone trick for finding affordable duplicates of expensive clothing items using Google Lens.
  • By uploading an image of the desired item, Google Lens helps find similar items at various price points.
  • This trick can save time and offer a wider range of shopping options, making it easier to compare the cost of the original item with its cheaper duplicates.
  • Eleanor suggested that this trick is especially useful for shoppers looking for bargains in retail shops or op-shops.
Have you tried using Google Lens to search for products? Are you willing to use Google Lens to find dupes? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
My daughter-in-law does this with items she picks up in op shops.
She has a good eye for bargains
She recently picked up four leather handbags, all designer labels, for $20, all in excellent condition.
A google search revealed the total second hand price of these four bags was in excess of $2000
Thinking they must have come from a deceased estate, where the value wasn't known.
The op shop obviously thought they were duped
She's already sold two. They live in the country not many jobs around and this is how she helps the family budget.
Clever girl.

My grandmother owned a vase made in Italy. I used Google Lens and it's worth $650 aud. Not selling though as I love it.

Reactions: DLHM
I have found it can be unfailing. I have a very old vase that has been handed down by my grandmother's grandmother etc. Google lens can't match it.

Reactions: DLHM