Cruise employee reveals shocking passenger behaviour

Imagine stepping aboard a luxurious cruise ship, feeling the salty sea air and looking forward to several exciting adventure-filled days.

Now imagine that the charm of this journey begins to fade as you notice other passengers sauntering around with a complete disregard for basic hygiene protocols.

Lucy Southerton, a seasoned cruise professional, has aired her feelings about it all.

She talked about how certain behaviours can be deemed inappropriate and downright unhygienic.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 1.48.10 PM 1.png
A cruise employee talked about the most unhygienic behaviour of some passengers. Image source: chandlervid85 on Freepik.

And the one that tops her list? The barefoot crowds.

Lucy (28), who has been aboard cruise ships for almost a decade, was appalled at the sight of passengers often entirely shedding their footwear to explore the vast expanse of the vessel.

From shopping areas to the theatre, no area was exempt from the barefoot invasion.

This behaviour also often continued for the entire duration of the trip.

She shared that those who go barefoot are usually 'made fun of' by the crew members.

'Crew members generally make fun of passengers who deem it acceptable to walk around the cruise ship with no shoes on,' Lucy said.

'They will weave in and out of shops with no shoes on they will even think it appropriate to go to the theatre with no shoes on because technically they are indoors.'

'However any space outside of your cabin really, you should have your shoes on. And if you do want to walk around the cruise ship with no shoes on, just know that the crew members will be making fun of you.'

Lucy also cautioned against being rude towards staff members.

After all, you never quite know when you might need their assistance or when an opportunity to enjoy special deals may come your way.

This comes after another social media user, Marc Sebastian, warned about the word that cruisegoers should never say while on board.

'You’re not supposed to talk about the Titanic. Who knew that? I didn’t,' Marc said in the video, which has now been viewed 8.3 million times.

'I brought up to an entire room of people having lunch that our ship was only 100 feet longer than Titanic.'

'When I tell you that—utensils dropped, waiters gasped, it’s dead silent.'
Key Takeaways
  • A cruise worker has revealed that some passengers display poor hygiene by walking around the ship barefoot, which is considered dirty by the crew.
  • The crew reportedly makes fun of these passengers and regards walking without shoes in public areas other than your own cabin as inappropriate.
  • The cruise employee, Lucy Southerton, advised maintaining polite behaviour as it could lead to better service and potentially access to deals.
  • Another cruise-related tip shared by Marc Sebastian is to avoid mentioning the Titanic while on board, as it tends to be a sensitive topic for both passengers and crew.
Have you experienced something strange while on a cruise? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
the excessive chlorination of pools will kill any potential issues. All cruises have some form of gastro outbreak and subsequently that entire deck is put into lockdown and sealed to decontaminate. Given the average age of a cruise is around 80 wouldn't take too much to knock off a few. Every cruise ship also has a morgue for the potential death of an elderly passenger.
What? I suppose you mean "cruiser" as in cruise passenger. If so, you are WAY off with average age. In 2023, the mean age of an Australian cruise passenger was 48.4 years.

Source: https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/australian-cruisers-are-younger/

Reactions: Littleboy8
I also have peripheral neurophysiology and had a needle go through the sole of my slipper, into my foot and didn't feel it for three weeks, until I had to spend a week in hospital and nearly lost part of my foot. Please take care.
Thank you for your concern. I'm pretty aware of what's on the floor in my home, because we have a Poodle who'll eat anything, and I mean anything. He's a little horror in that respect.

It's so lucky your foot was able to be saved. Please keep an eye out for foreign bodies on the floor. We need to maintain our independence.

Reactions: maherdj
@Fabiano.... while I totally embrace the Italian culture (which I imagine your heritage is), keep your Aussie bashing to yourself.

Go to your nearest Roman Catholic Church, worship your false idol, then kill a few people in true Calabrian style.
@Fabiano.... while I totally embrace the Italian culture (which I imagine your heritage is), keep your Aussie bashing to yourself.

Go to your nearest Roman Catholic Church, worship your false idol, then kill a few people in true Calabrian style.

Totally agree with Fabiano, anywhere you go in the world there's always some big loud mouth and getting out of control and it's normally an Aussie sometimes American depending on the amount of alcohol they might have had. I am Australian born and bred.