Connecting past with present: Pilot’s grave sparks amazing volunteer effort

In the heart of Far North Queensland, a heartwarming tale of community spirit and historical preservation is unfolding at the Mareeba Pioneer Cemetery.

A dedicated group of volunteers, about 40 strong, have taken it upon themselves to breathe new life into the final resting places of the town's earliest settlers, including inventors, explorers, and war heroes.

Their mission? To restore pride and dignity to the 360 graves that have already been tended to, with a pressure cleaner, elbow grease, and white paint, with another 600 graves to go.

The initiative was sparked by amateur war historian Michael Musumeci, who, while researching aircraft crashes in the Lockhart River region, stumbled upon the grave of Australian Air Force co-pilot officer Graham Brindley John Robertson.

‘It's not just about recognising our forefathers and pioneers from this district, but bringing back the graves in a respectful way,’ he said.

‘And we're not just painting but collating all the beautiful stories and the history of each and every person buried here.’

436320231_10230825865500693_8579855037551179575_n.jpg
A team of 40 volunteers cleaned and repainted over 300 graves at the Mareeba Pioneer Cemetery. Credit: Mochael Musumeci / Facebook

Officer Robertson's grave, which lay in a state of disrepair, surrounded by weeds, became the catalyst for a much larger project.

‘I contacted the family of Officer Robertson for permission to respectfully clean and paint his grave, and they said yes,’ he said.

‘It started from there, and before we knew it, we were painting graves of explorers, the first bakers in Mareeba and World War I diggers.’

The volunteers not only restored headstones but also collected and shared the stories of those who lay beneath them.

Each grave tells a tale, and through social media, these stories are being brought to light, connecting the past with the present.

The community's response has been overwhelmingly positive, with families coming forward to request restorations and share photographs and anecdotes of their ancestors.

This connection has allowed the volunteers to put faces to the names etched in stone and to honour each individual's memory in a personal way.

‘What's great is we can now put faces to each of the graves, and we now know the stories of each and every one we've painted,’ Musumeci said.

Among the volunteers is Barry McElligott, a Mareeba resident with deep roots in the cemetery.

‘I've got family buried in the Pioneer Cemetery, including my grandparents, my great-grandparents and an uncle,’ he said.

‘We haven't painted my family's graves yet as we haven't got to that end of the cemetery…but I have permission from the rest of the family to paint the graves.’

Sue Richards, another volunteer who discovered a family connection to the cemetery, was struck by its forlorn state upon her first visit.

‘I don't believe cemeteries should be left to just rot. They should be a place of peace and calm,’ she said.

The local Crime Stoppers group has also supported the volunteers, providing sustenance and camaraderie with sausage sizzles and free coffee.

‘I don't believe there's been as much vandalism since we've started cleaning up the gravesites, which is great,’ Darren Alston said while flipping sausages on the barbecue.

‘The painted graves also stand out as you drive past the cemetery, and it looks so much better.’
Key Takeaways
  • A volunteer group has been revitalising Mareeba Pioneer Cemetery in Far North Queensland by cleaning and repainting headstones.
  • The project was inspired by amateur war historian Michael Musumeci, who aimed to restore the gravesites and honour the history of those buried there.
  • Families of the deceased have been supportive of the initiative, allowing the volunteers to revive the graves and share the personal histories and stories of their loved ones.
  • The community effort has led to a reduction in vandalism and has brought a sense of pride and remembrance to the local history of the Mareeba region.
Have you been involved in a community project like this, or do you have a story about how your local area has come together to honour its history? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
This shows the true spirit of Australia. The graves look wonderful, the volunteers should be very proud to be bringing the cemetery back to a place where people can visit and share memories of past relatives and pioneers of the district. Tomorrow hubby and I and a good friend are going on a two hour drive to replace the faded flowers on my relatives from mum and dad’s families graves. I have filled new pots with an assortment of bright artificial flowers for each of the 13 family graves in the small cemetery in a small country town where my ancestors were pioneers. There are a couple of family graves without headstones which my sister and I are organising a headstone for. They are very old graves. My family are also shortly hoping to visit a very old cemetery in a country area, that is now being taken over by the bush. It has my grandfather, great grandmother and a few uncles from my dad’s side buried there. There are no headstones, but we have a relative who knows where the cemetery is as he lives on the original family property in the area. It will be interesting to visit.