Coles’ smart gate crushes shopper’s hand: ‘Hurts like hell'

Introducing new technology in everyday life is often met with excitement and scepticism.

While innovations promise to make our experiences more efficient and secure, they can sometimes lead to unforeseen consequences.

This was the case for one Coles shopper, whose encounter at the supermarket led to a painful incident.

An anonymous shopper shared her experience on social media after buying milk and juice from the supermarket's Pacific Fair store.

As she headed out, the automatic gate unexpectedly closed on her, crushing her hand.

'I am so angry because it knocked the coffee I had in my hand, my other shopping all over the floor. My hand bled and hurt like hell. I can't move my left ring finger,' she wrote.

'I've put in an online complaint. Let's see if they bother to get back to me. Those things need to be removed!' she exclaimed.

compressed-shutterstock_2134508533.jpeg
Supermarket giant Coles has manned and self-service checkouts from which customers can choose. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Her experience led other shoppers to share similar experiences.

'I've been injured by one of those things at Coles. They're a nightmare as a disabled person,' one wrote.

'A woman at my local Coles was also injured by an automatic gate—her arm was cut quite badly. Maybe it's more common than we know,' another shared.

Coles has responded to the incident.

'We're concerned to hear about this customer's experience,' a Coles spokesman said.

'We have spoken with the customer this morning to check on their well-being and better understand the situation to ensure we have the right controls in place to avoid incidents like this.'

The incident raised questions about the efficacy of smart gates, which Coles and Woolworths self-service checkouts have installed as an anti-theft measure.

Some shoppers felt criminalised by the gates despite completing in-store transactions.

'Some customers have reported being 'trapped' by the gate despite paying for their items, causing significant embarrassment,' Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) PhD researcher Lauren Kate Kelly said.

Earlier this year, A customer reported being crushed by Coles' new smart gates while exiting the self-serve checkout in their wheelchair.

A single mum also felt humiliated at the supermarket chain as the smart gates closed on her while struggling with a baby and a pram.

'A bit of old-fashioned service would be nice! What's lacking these days is people helping each other...everyone is in a hurry and all about me, me, me,' SDC member @Col@45 commented in one of the articles.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper was injured when the supermarket's smart gates crushed her hand.
  • The customer expressed her frustration online and planned to see a doctor for the injury.
  • Coles contacted the customer and has started investigating the incident.
  • Customers raised concerns about the safety of the smart gates and their anti-theft measures.
Have you felt uncomfortable or at risk around smart gates? Please share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
These gates are the pits. Coles shop we went to the gate would not open. Coles at Endeavour Hills Vjc is the pits. We changed to there because it had :3 Supermarkets all close together. Now at that Coles there is only one checkout that is manned. We are rather fed up with having to queue to Pay for our shopping. I will not use self checkout. You feel like you are being spied on all the time & they want you to put your shopping through in a certain order. It is getting ridiculous we are all being treated like criminals. Will not be long before we are all shopping at IGA even though they are dearer. Sad times the way we are treated.

Oh wow there are still a few people who fail to ask for help...as for the gates crushing her hand I find that really hard to believe the gates are sensor motioned so unless she stood there they are not supposed to close...when are people going to use their brains and ask for help instead of either going to straight to social media for reassurance from strangers...Would you stop a stranger in the shopping centre and tell them the story??...

Oh wow there are still a few people who fail to ask for help...as for the gates crushing her hand I find that really hard to believe the gates are sensor motioned so unless she stood there they are not supposed to close...when are people going to use their brains and ask for help instead of either going to straight to social media for reassurance from strangers...Would you stop a stranger in the shopping centre and tell them the story??...
I appreciate their warnings. I would go straight to a doctor and they could pay the bill for further medical costs. I am sure there would be video in the store to back up their story.

Reactions: Gsr and Liz
What a crock, these gates are much like elevators, once they sense an obstruction they automatically retract. Unless she's an Oompa-Loompa the height of the gates would be nowhere near her coffee holding hand. Anonymous just indicates potential scam.

The gates do not stay open for long enough, and the sensors don't always work fast enough. A person is a moving target.

Reactions: Zoeshipscat and ARL
The gates slammed shut on my trolley in one of these Coles stores and we had to wait for a check out person to come to our aid to open the gates. All goods had been paid for through a manned checkout, the only one. It was embarrassing but annoying. I was with a Aged Care Support worker and we are never going back to that Coles. I will stick to doing online shopping. I think anti-theft has gone too far. Why not employ a security guard to keep an eye on things if Coles is going to be this pedantic. At least it would give someone a job or use one of the redunant check out operators to check all trolleys like KMart does.

Reactions: IJH
I say that any AI/tech/electronic thing has the potential to malfunction.

Cameras are everywhere aimed at shoppers.

If a gate slams shut, it would be witnessed by humans (customers and staff) and by electronic devices/cameras.

I don't see why customers would report or complain about a slamming incident if it did not happen because they could be discredited in seconds.

Almost never shop at Coles. They are the worse for treating everyone like a criminal. I find it hard to believe that self serve is saving money when it requires all this monitoring technology plus a staff member to watch everything you do.
For the posters complaining about the person bring anonymous I would not want my name published

'I've put in an online complaint. Let's see if they bother to get back to me. Those things need to be removed!' she exclaimed.

It is apparent that the person in question has submitted a complaint through the correct channels.

Selective reading much? As a former employee of Coles, Woolworths, IGA, Aldi, Foodworks, Drakes and whatever supermarket chain you wish to name, you seem to think these supermarket chains can do no wrong.

They do a LOT of wrong!

Not supposed to! That means they can have faults. I have had lift doors close on me, but they are not supposed to. These auto doors and gates are difficult to navigate with a baby or a very large shop, or if a number of people are crowding to get in or out

The gates do not stay open for long enough, and the sensors don't always work fast enough. A person is a moving target.
That's a load of bull they are sensor monitored...they stay open if there is something there

I say that any AI/tech/electronic thing has the potential to malfunction.

Cameras are everywhere aimed at shoppers.

If a gate slams shut, it would be witnessed by humans (customers and staff) and by electronic devices/cameras.

I don't see why customers would report or complain about a slamming incident if it did not happen because they could be discredited in seconds.
How does a sensor monitored gate slam shut?? It operates on movement?? And IF that was the case the person in self serve would have helped...and why bother being anonymous?? You have a problem with the cameras?? I do not believe this is as bad as they reckon...

That's a load of bull they are sensor monitored...they stay open if there is something there
Not my experience. Of course you have never had any electrical item malfunction, breakdown, no computer glitches etc etc Never heard of vehicle electrical problems. Reports of elevator failure which operate on sensors are fake news. Think I know who is creating bulldust

Last edited: