Cash crunch: Armaguard's struggle casts shadow on future of physical currency

In an age where digital transactions are becoming the norm, the fate of physical currency hangs in the balance.

Armaguard, a name synonymous with the movement of cash across Australia, is facing a crisis that could signal a seismic shift in how we think about money.

As the largest currency transport business in the country, servicing about 90 per cent of the cash-in-transit market, Armaguard's struggles, as discussed by Professor Steve Worthington of The Conversation, are a canary in the coal mine for the future of cash.

The Linfox Group-owned company has been a cornerstone of Australian financial transactions for years, ensuring that ATMs are stocked and businesses have the change they need to operate.

However, the rapid decline in cash usage, exacerbated by the pandemic, has left Armaguard in need of a significant financial lifeline to stay afloat.

Despite rejecting a $26 million rescue offer from major banks and retailers, Armaguard has accepted a smaller $10 million package from Linfox, which provides only a temporary reprieve.

compressed-shutterstock_1259032282.jpeg
Armaguard was reportedly struggling due to a sharp decline in cash usage. Credits: Shutterstock

The dwindling use of cash is not just a trend in Australia; it's a global phenomenon.

Over the past decade, Australians have increasingly turned to cards and digital wallets, leading to a 57 per cent decline in cash payments since 2017.

This shift has had a profound impact on the infrastructure supporting cash, with a 37 per cent reduction in bank branches and a dramatic fall in the number of bank-owned ATMs.

The cost of moving cash, always a logistical challenge given Australia's vastness, has become even more prohibitive.

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has warned of a 'cash-use cycle' where the decline in cash could make it uneconomic to provide cash services in some areas, particularly regional ones.

This presents a significant concern for the RBA, which sees cash as an essential store of wealth and a backup payment method when electronic systems fail.

The RBA's interest in maintaining cash access led to discussions about a cooperative model, similar to those in Europe, where banks could collectively manage cash distribution.

The UK's Link network is one such example, a not-for-profit organisation that ensures cash withdrawal access across nearly all ATMs in the country.

Looking abroad, Sweden's journey towards becoming a cashless society has not been without its challenges, too.

With the Scandinavian country being one of the world’s most cashless societies, the Riksbank, Sweden's central bank, has called for legislation to protect cash transactions, highlighting the risks of digital and financial exclusion.

The Riksbank's concerns about a single private company handling all cash-in-transit services in Sweden underscore the potential vulnerabilities in such a system.

As discussions intensify about the possibility of transitioning to a cashless society, advocates are raising concerns about the implications for certain segments of the population, particularly seniors.

Many fear that such a shift could marginalise those who rely on cash for their daily transactions, potentially excluding them from essential services.

These concerns have prompted calls for nationwide action, with advocates organising campaigns to protest against the move towards a cashless society.

In a bold move to send a clear message, cash activists recently made headlines by withdrawing over $500,000 from ATMs across the country.

Their actions aim to highlight the importance of preserving access to cash and ensuring financial inclusion for all members of society.
Key Takeaways

• Armaguard, Australia's largest currency transport business, is struggling due to a sharp decline in cash usage exacerbated by the pandemic.
  • The company recently declined a $26 million rescue offer from banks and retailers, instead opting for a smaller $10 million lifeline from its parent company, Linfox.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia placed high importance on maintaining cash as a secure payment and store of wealth option, potentially considering a cooperative model for cash distribution.
  • International examples, such as Sweden's cashless society issues, suggested that the maintenance of cash services might require legislation or central bank and government intervention to ensure financial inclusion and system resilience.
What are your thoughts on the decline of cash? Have you found yourself using less physical money over the years? Share your experiences and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why aren’t they been assisted by the fed gov, they assist situations all over the world, or is this a sneaky way on behalf of the government to see cash cease without them looking so bad, If this country is going to close off cash we need a referendum, I’ve certainly seen stupid referendums no where near as important as this is to the country. We have the right to cash.

I spoke to a teller at the bank the other day. He told me discussions with Armaguard have been going on for many years, and is not a recent development. He said they are not short of cash and don’t expect to be. Having said that I took money out of the ATM yesterday and found that it was only dispensing $50 notes and no $20 notes. I don’t know if it’s temporary or new policy but it’s a bit hard on people who don’t want/need or have that much money

Why aren’t they been assisted by the fed gov, they assist situations all over the world, or is this a sneaky way on behalf of the government to see cash cease without them looking so bad, If this country is going to close off cash we need a referendum, I’ve certainly seen stupid referendums no where near as important as this is to the country. We have the right to cash.
Exactly. It definitely feels like an underhanded way of the government pushing the cash free society they so desperately want to force on us.

A lot of places are now going either totally cashless or are only accepting the correct amount as they are unable to make change. A recent example was when paying for a visit to a Medical Speacalist where an electronic payment was unavailable a cash payment had to be made later when I could get the correct amount. Not only that but a Major Bottle shop chain has stated in store that cash is not acceptable only card payments accepted.

Think there is a need for cash especially for the elderly - it would need to be a slow change.

Nandos in my area do not accept cash anymore it is all card so too bad if you don't have enough funds on your card to pay for your food. Also what happens when the Eftpos goes down and you have no cash to pay for your shopping you just have to leave it in the shop. Even the people who are in the shopping centres collecting for charities now have a mobile eftpos machine as well as the donation tins.
Going cashless needs to be investigated more because not alot of people want it.

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock
I guess your not keeping regular updates, on how the cash is flowing again, there has been an increase in Australians drawing out cash in the last few weeks. it is know as Cash is King. so we will be still using cash in the future .

Found this article interesting .......... The $9.5 billion Australians took out of ATMs in February shows why cash will be around for awhile yet. Click below to read the article on channel 9 news.

Reactions: Aussi Girl
We also need to get serious about paying bills by cheque; that cheque stub, properly annotated, beats any corporate argument about non-payment of a bill. It saved me from a serious confrontation with ASIC over an increasingly large fine of several hundred dollars. It also enabled me to sort out a longstanding argument with Southern Phone who kept alleging I hadn't paid its monthly bill and therefore kept fining me for non-payment of that bill.

You may enjoy the convenient comfort of paying bills by mobile phone but unless you can provide cast-iron proof of payment, you are stuffed when you argue with someone operating the corporation's computer. Just wait until artificial intelligence replaces those workers' jobs. Lose your mobile; have it stolen; have the data corrupted; have it scammed and guess what; your records disappear. That humble cheque stub? No one wants to steal it or destroy it; a criminal would rather break into your house/car to steal your mobile phone. I have lost two by theft. My cheque stubs provide paper records kept in a shoe box going back 20+ years and each has a unique number meaning that the payment can be verified.

Irrespective of how Armaguard manages it's business, and not withstanding decreasing usage, cash is not going to disappear for quite a while.

As attractive as taking control of the populace, via any means including pressing a financial digital button is to many persuasions of governments, in a democracy it is a lot harder to do.

There is no way that any Australian government would risk putting all the financial system eggs into one basket and no way that the people would let them do it given the huge compromise to privacy that comes with leaving a digital footprint..

Nandos in my area do not accept cash anymore it is all card so too bad if you don't have enough funds on your card to pay for your food. Also what happens when the Eftpos goes down and you have no cash to pay for your shopping you just have to leave it in the shop. Even the people who are in the shopping centres collecting for charities now have a mobile eftpos machine as well as the donation tins.
Going cashless needs to be investigated more because not alot of people want it.
100%

Reactions: Rob44